Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Have we improved the playing positions...?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Have we improved the playing positions...?

This thread currently has 3,425 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
October 10, 2023, 11:10am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Corkyefes

I said its tight, but its just my opinion thats hes slightly better than Rodgers.
I think Smith has more potential, was quicker, read the game well and didn't get beat too much for his age and experience.

I'll gladly have £100 bet with you that Smith has a better career than Rodgers (say by the time they've both reached 32 - Cancelled if any of them gets a major injury)?

If you going to disagree, at least give some reason as of to why.

Seems like you’re comparing apples with oranges. Smith had been playing for us since Jan ‘22 and in his first few games, in the conference, didn’t look much cop according to most on here. Rodgers had a great start in his first few games and is head & shoulders above where Smith was in the same point of their GTFC careers.

Same with Orsi. By this time last year he’d scored one in the FL Trophy and had struggled to force Bim Pepple out the of the lineup. Seems like new players are being compared to what he’s done this season rather than what he delivered last year (4 in 32).

All well & good making a view with the benefit of hindsight, but doesn’t afford new players the same luxury does it?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
Corkyefes
October 10, 2023, 12:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from ginnywings

5 of our signings have all played in League 1. Rose, Eisa, Pyke, Gnahoua and Rodgers, with the last three playing in that league last season.

True, but because they were playing there previously, doesn't neccessrily mean they are capable of playing there anymore.
If they were truely league one quality players, why have they not been snapped up by League 1 teams?

Like I said before, Eisa could (when hes on his game) and probably Rodgers, but the others not, in my opinion.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
Corkyefes
October 10, 2023, 12:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from ska face

Seems like you’re comparing apples with oranges. Smith had been playing for us since Jan ‘22 and in his first few games, in the conference, didn’t look much cop according to most on here. Rodgers had a great start in his first few games and is head & shoulders above where Smith was in the same point of their GTFC careers.

Same with Orsi. By this time last year he’d scored one in the FL Trophy and had struggled to force Bim Pepple out the of the lineup. Seems like new players are being compared to what he’s done this season rather than what he delivered last year (4 in 32).

All well & good making a view with the benefit of hindsight, but doesn’t afford new players the same luxury does it?

Like i mentioned, the Smith/Rodgers was is tight, but if it came in the news that we had signed Smith and Rodgers was on the bench, i wouldn't be upset.

With Orsi, he simply never got a run of games to prove himself. Whether or not he has a good season this year, who knows, but its not looking a great decision from Hurst at the minute.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
ska face
October 10, 2023, 1:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Corkyefes

Like i mentioned, the Smith/Rodgers was is tight, but if it came in the news that we had signed Smith and Rodgers was on the bench, i wouldn't be upset.

But if after Smith’s first 11 games in the conference it turned out we’d signed a defender who was the standout player in a L1 defence the season before, you’d probably have a different view. That’s the point.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
ginnywings
October 10, 2023, 3:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,146
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Corkyefes

True, but because they were playing there previously, doesn't neccessrily mean they are capable of playing there anymore.
If they were truely league one quality players, why have they not been snapped up by League 1 teams?

Like I said before, Eisa could (when hes on his game) and probably Rodgers, but the others not, in my opinion.

There's always a but...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
pen penfras
October 11, 2023, 9:35am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Last season we played really badly, particularly in the first half of games, for the first quarter or so of the season but Crocombe was probably the best keeper in the league and won us loads of points by keeping us in games that we improved in the 2nd half. He dropped off at the end of the season, but his head was probably turned. He didn't end up in L1 based on the last 10 games so the interest must already have been there.

The other difference was work rate, we had worse players but a good team spirit, I don't think we have that now. But results breed confidence and a couple of ground out results could turn things around.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
chaos33
October 11, 2023, 12:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
We’ve just taken 4 points from the last two league games.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
AdamHaddock
October 11, 2023, 12:28pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
Rose is more a replacement for Taylor than McAtee.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
Maringer
October 11, 2023, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,556
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from chaos33

SACK HIM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
Madeleymariner
October 11, 2023, 5:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from chaos33

We've just taken 5 points from the last 6 league games, just saying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Have we improved the playing positions...?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.