Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Have we improved the playing positions...?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
IowaMariner, Sussexmariner and 49 Guests

Have we improved the playing positions...?

This thread currently has 3,423 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
October 8, 2023, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
I know it doesn't answer the question but I don't think we have improved in either of the last 2 seasons .We do have a happier club than our non league days though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
Mappers
October 8, 2023, 8:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Wow ..To be honest  an interesting  thread !!
"A BIG IF!" = IF fans bought players/ voted on who they wanted.
Then there would be no moaning etc..Coz we bought / brought them in.
It would be a different  team
Lets enjoy the rest of the season Who knows what January coul bring in - send on their way
UTM 2023-24

That's our issue though isn't it - yet again we are 'waiting for a transfer window ' . Big changes no doubt as we can already see some are out in the cold , before fall .

How many will we be looking to ship out ? 3 or 4 at least probably , maybe more - with a similiar amount coming in you would have thought .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
cannylad65
October 9, 2023, 8:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
As I've mentioned before.

Same players, different names.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
AncientExiledMariner
October 9, 2023, 9:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from cannylad65
As I've mentioned before.

Same players, different names.

Sometimes I'm watching Conteh or Eisa, and I forget we let Morris and Wearne go. Barely any difference...

What a silly view.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
cannylad65
October 9, 2023, 9:58am
Beer Drinker
Obviously you have not watched Eastwood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
cannylad65
October 9, 2023, 10:02am
Beer Drinker
Or Pyke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
Swansea_Mariner
October 9, 2023, 1:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
For all the criticism Pyke is getting, he's got three goals already this season which is not thst shabby for a third choice striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
Mappers
October 9, 2023, 2:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118

Sometimes I'm watching Conteh or Eisa, and I forget we let Morris and Wearne go. Barely any difference...

What a silly view.

I think it's a bit more of a nuanced conversation than that , but the view is not so silly in my opinion .

Yes as you rightly point out those 2 players are undoubted upgrades , but unfortunately the problem areas (so far and from last season ) have not been fixed - the man/men  up top and a creative or box to box midfield player .

Wilson might be a solution , but we don't know do we ; much like Ainley - they need to have a run of games , but judging on the first quarter of the season that won't happen anytime soon .

Add to that the  position I have had boxed off  for the last couple of years as solid and non problematic , at left back , which has seemingly become another problem area .

I do really like the addition of Rodgers alongside Maher and would not take many over that at league 2 level .

Eastwood is a good keeper for me , some seem to have doubts - there may well not be much between him and Crocombe but I'm hardly seeing keepers every week that are miles better than either of  them , or even better at all actually .

I would say we have half a team that are probably better than league 2 , then half a team of average league 2 players or below and that's why we are so inconsistent , added with inconsistent formations so far and lack of availability to put out our best team.

We really need to make substantial progress in the next 8 or us 'doom mongers' as you call us will raise our heads ;  hopefully not and we will do well - i still think a relatively comfy season between 10th-16th is in store .

I suppose if that's the predictable case , it will be for others to decide whether that's enough with their continued support through the gate - I will go whatever and get behind the lads but it's not always the easyiest sell in it's current form of entertainment and you could see why people would choose a more gratifying hobby on a Saturday afternoon .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
Grantley
October 9, 2023, 2:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Rodgers not as good as Smith? Stopped reading after that.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
ginnywings
October 9, 2023, 7:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
I would say that we have improved in a few positions, but we haven't yet morphed into a better all round team. The togetherness of last season's team isn't quite there yet.

I think that if and when we do though, we will be a better footballing side. It's been there in spells, but not got consistency yet. Probably needs 2 or 3 more players in Jan and getting key players fit, but I think the results will improve up to the half way point of the season.

Ask again after another 10 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Have we improved the playing positions...?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.