Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Have we improved the playing positions...?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Have we improved the playing positions...?

This thread currently has 3,421 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Corkyefes
October 9, 2023, 8:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Grantley
Rodgers not as good as Smith? Stopped reading after that.

I said its tight, but its just my opinion thats hes slightly better than Rodgers.
I think Smith has more potential, was quicker, read the game well and didn't get beat too much for his age and experience.

I'll gladly have £100 bet with you that Smith has a better career than Rodgers (say by the time they've both reached 32 - Cancelled if any of them gets a major injury)?

If you going to disagree, at least give some reason as of to why.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
Corkyefes
October 9, 2023, 9:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Mappers

I think it's a bit more of a nuanced conversation than that , but the view is not so silly in my opinion .

Yes as you rightly point out those 2 players are undoubted upgrades, but unfortunately the problem areas (so far and from last season ) have not been fixed - the man/men up top and a creative or box to box midfield player .

Wilson might be a solution, but we don't know do we; much like Ainley - they need to have a run of games, but judging on the first quarter of the season that won't happen anytime soon .

Add to that the position I have had boxed off  for the last couple of years as solid and non problematic, at left back, which has seemingly become another problem area .

I do really like the addition of Rodgers alongside Maher and would not take many over that at league 2 level .

Eastwood is a good keeper for me, some seem to have doubts - there may well not be much between him and Crocombe but I'm hardly seeing keepers every week that are miles better than either of  them, or even better at all actually.

I would say we have half a team that are probably better than league 2 , then half a team of average league 2 players or below and that's why we are so inconsistent , added with inconsistent formations so far and lack of availability to put out our best team.

We really need to make substantial progress in the next 8 or us 'doom mongers' as you call us will raise our heads ;  hopefully not and we will do well - i still think a relatively comfy season between 10th-16th is in store .

I suppose if that's the predictable case , it will be for others to decide whether that's enough with their continued support through the gate - I will go whatever and get behind the lads but it's not always the easyiest sell in it's current form of entertainment and you could see why people would choose a more gratifying hobby on a Saturday afternoon .

Good post and discussions, but I would have to disagree on the highlighted bit, as in my opinion theres only Conteh and Eisa (on his day) whos shown glimpses that they could play higher than league 2.
Maybe Rodgers and Maher if i was being more fair, but they would be the lower end of league one.

We will grind out some results this year but I can only see us finishing mid table this season (hopefully I'm wrong). I cannot see us improving on last years position but appreciate theirs a long way to go.

But my point was having we improved pplayers in certain positions and i think honestly its more of a no, than a yes.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
ginnywings
October 9, 2023, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Corkyefes

Good post and discussions, but I would have to disagree on the highlighted bit, as in my opinion theres only Conteh and Eisa (on his day) whos shown glimpses that they could play higher than league 2.
Maybe Rodgers and Maher if i was being more fair, but they would be the lower end of league one.

We will grind out some results this year but I can only see us finishing mid table this season (hopefully I'm wrong). I cannot see us improving on last years position but appreciate theirs a long way to go.

But my point was having we improved pplayers in certain positions and i think honestly its more of a no, than a yes.

5 of our signings have all played in League 1. Rose, Eisa, Pyke, Gnahoua and Rodgers, with the last three playing in that league last season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
DB
October 10, 2023, 1:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from ginnywings
I would say that we have improved in a few positions, but we haven't yet morphed into a better all round team. The togetherness of last season's team isn't quite there yet.

I think that if and when we do though, we will be a better footballing side. It's been there in spells, but not got consistency yet. Probably needs 2 or 3 more players in Jan and getting key players fit, but I think the results will improve up to the half way point of the season.

Ask again after another 10 games.

I agree with that plus the fact Hurst has given 2/3 year contracts would seem to indicate he's building a team for next season. Time will tell but we still need a good run this season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
lukeo
October 10, 2023, 3:58am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Rodgers. Mullarkey. Conteh. Rose all upgrades. The rest I'm not 100% convinced.
Some may say it's harsh leaving Eisa off of the list, he may well get added as time goes on and if Wilson could stay fit i believe he would he an improvement but again time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
MuddyWaters
October 10, 2023, 6:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from lukeo
Rodgers. Mullarkey. Conteh. Rose all upgrades. The rest I'm not 100% convinced.
Some may say it's harsh leaving Eisa off of the list, he may well get added as time goes on and if Wilson could stay fit i believe he would he an improvement but again time will tell.

First 6 games Rodgers was great but much less so without Maher. Again, Conteh was great at the start but seems less confident now. Mullarkey is a decent right back but doesn’t offer as much going forward as Efete and I don’t think we’ll see the best of Rose until we get a goal scorer alongside him.

As has been said before, the individual parts look decent but the sum of the parts less so.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
golfer
October 10, 2023, 9:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,438
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

5 of our signings have all played in League 1. Rose, Eisa, Pyke, Gnahoua and Rodgers, with the last three playing in that league last season.

Maybe so but they weren't wanted by clubs in Div.1 this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
rancido
October 10, 2023, 9:54am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Corkyefes

I said its tight, but its just my opinion thats hes slightly better than Rodgers.
I think Smith has more potential, was quicker, read the game well and didn't get beat too much for his age and experience.

I'll gladly have £100 bet with you that Smith has a better career than Rodgers (say by the time they've both reached 32 - Cancelled if any of them gets a major injury)?

If you going to disagree, at least give some reason as of to why.

Maybe Smith will have a better career but he was never our player and we couldn't haven't signed him if we wanted to. Rodgers is very good for our level and if he can get a prolonged partnership with Maher then we will have a good centre- back pairing that would see us into the lower half of League 1.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Maringer
October 10, 2023, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don’t think we’ll see the best of Rose until we get a goal scorer alongside him.

Rose has scored 4 goals in 10 games. That's a pretty decent record for a 'goalscorer', let alone a striker who has generally been leading the line on his own and mostly against the stronger teams in the division. If he keeps that up, he'll score close to 20 goals this season.

He's done a great job so far and the only issue has been nobody to back him up or the chance to give him a bit of a breather. This is where Wilson and Pyke will hopefully be able to contribute more in due course...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
mariner91
October 10, 2023, 10:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from MuddyWaters

First 6 games Rodgers was great but much less so without Maher. Again, Conteh was great at the start but seems less confident now. Mullarkey is a decent right back but doesn’t offer as much going forward as Efete and I don’t think we’ll see the best of Rose until we get a goal scorer alongside him.

As has been said before, the individual parts look decent but the sum of the parts less so.

Which is really odd as PH teams are usually the exact opposite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Have we improved the playing positions...?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.