21 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 All Recommend Thread
AncientExiledMariner
September 16, 2023, 9:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I think many people (the doom merchants) don't have a clue.

We got out of the conference. At the time, we were reliant on McAtee. When he wasn't playing, we were screwed. He was going to leave for free. We had to sell. We did, and we replaced him. Not like for like, but across the board, so we're no longer reliant on 1 or 2 players. Waterfall has been solid for us, but he's a year older. We've prepared for that. Taylor was good on his day but past his prime. We've had to deal with that. Football throws so many problems at you, and you have to deal with them. You cannot always get your own way. You've just got to hope that after the event, you're stronger.

Are we stronger than last year, and the year before? Yes. Are we reliant on 1 striker? No. Do we have aging vets in our first team that we can rely on now, but not in the future? Not really. We've got a pretty solid platform. We have a solid 1st 11, and some good options off the bench when we need them. Do we have that at our disposal right now? Nope. Will we? Yes.

Can we expect to win away from home against the top teams? Probably not. Can you get promoted without winning away against the top teams? Yes. If we bring these teams home, and do them over, then we're neutral. We just have to make sure we get more points against the smaller teams in the league, at home, and away. Can we? Hopefully, but we've not faced many yet, so we'll have to see when we meet them.

We have Khan back. An international who was a starter last year. Imagine him and Eisa playing, and Gnahoua on bench or getting in the team when either fall out of form. Imagine Wilson coming back and offering something up top. Imagine when Vernam comes back in January against the backdrop of this. Is Pyke young? Yes, Has he had a proven career as a striker. Not yet. Did we buy him as the finished article? No. Hurst improves players as he works with them. He's played in league 1 and been trusted to do a job, albeit at wing back. Hopefully he'll come good, but he's not ready yet. I think we expected Wilson and Rose to shield him a bit until Hurst and Doig could work with him more, and we haven't had that luxury.

There is plenty of positives and we have improved in most departments.

We had a bad day, and came unstuck while depleted against a team with League 1 quality throughout. We only have to deal with that a few times per season, fortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 208
Hagrid
September 16, 2023, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536
I think many people don't have a clue.

We got out of the conference. At the time, we were reliant on McAtee. When he wasn't playing, we were screwed. He was going to leave for free. We had to sell. We did, and we replaced him. Not like for like, but across the board, so we're no longer reliant on 1 or 2 players. Waterfall has been solid for us, but he's a year older. We've prepared for that. Taylor was good on his day but past his prime. We've had to deal with that. Football throws so many problems at you, and you have to deal with them. You cannot always get your own way. You've just got to hope that after the event, you're stronger.

Are we stronger than last year, and the year before? Yes. Are we reliant on 1 striker? No. Do we have aging vets in our first team that we can rely on now, but not in the future? Not really. We've got a pretty solid platform. We have a solid 1st 11, and some good options off the bench when we need them. Do we have that at our disposal right now? Nope. Will we? Yes.

Can we expect to win away from home against the top teams? Probably not. Can you get promoted without winning away against the top teams? Yes. If we bring these teams home, and do them over, then we're neutral. We just have to make sure we get more points against the smaller teams in the league, at home, and away. Can we? Hopefully, but we've not faced many yet, so we'll have to see when we meet them.

We have Khan back. An international who was a starter last year. Imagine him and Eisa playing, and Gnahoua on bench or getting in the team when either fall out of form. Imagine Wilson coming back and offering something up top. Imagine when Vernam comes back in January against the backdrop of this. Is Pyke young? Yes, Has he had a proven career as a striker. Not yet. Did we buy him as the finished article? No. Hurst improves players as he works with them. He's played in league 1 and been trusted to do a job, albeit at wing back. Hopefully he'll come good, but he's not ready yet. I think we expected Wilson and Rose to shield him a bit until Hurst and Doig could work with him more, and we haven't had that luxury.

There is plenty of positives and we have improved in most departments.

We had a bad day, and came unstuck while depleted against a team with League 1 quality throughout. We only have to deal with that a few times per season, fortunately.

You think we signed Rose to be a back up? Codswallop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 208
heppy88
September 16, 2023, 9:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from sam gy

Sounds like what you should actually regret is choosing to support a team with the stature of Grimsby Town and pinning yer’ happiness on them!

Just disappointed that’s all. Disappointed with the result and the reaction to be honest. For all our possession we lost 3 0. It was the same at Walsall and Bradford. I thought we deserved the 3 points in both. But ended up with a point a piece. Yeh I admit my comments were melodramatic but that’s only because I care. A few have said the result was a forgone conclusion, but if that’s the case then why as supporters do we even turn up?

When we get promoted all you hear is consolidating and building. But when Wrexham get promotion everyone talks as if they have a right for back to back promotions. Notts are not doing too bad either. Every time Hurst gives an interview he spends a good proportion bulling up the opposition. Listen back it’s almost a habit. It’s as if he wants to prepare us and possibly himself for the worst possible outcome.

People comment that we didn’t stand a chance because their (Wrexham) spending power is so much more than ours. Again this is mentioned by Hurst. There will always be teams with inflated spending, does that mean we should just rollover and admit defeat before a ball is kicked?

For someone who began supporting the Mariners at the beginning of the Buckley era, the last 20 years have been hard to take (league positions). It’s as if a real apathy and defeatist mind set has set in and we  seem to be afraid to dream big, something that was not evident in the late 80’s and 90’s.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 208
AncientExiledMariner
September 16, 2023, 9:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Hagrid

You think we signed Rose to be a back up? Codswallop

Where did I say that? Do you even read what you respond to?

Rose was clearly a proven striker, in a promotion winning team. Wilson probably an option of the bench. Pyke was likely third choice. A project, that could come good with the right training and opportunities. Though with every unproven player, it can always go two ways and you can never guarantee which.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 208
Hagrid
September 16, 2023, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536

Where did I say that? Do you even read what you respond to?

Rose was clearly a proven striker, in a promotion winning team. Wilson probably an option of the bench. Pyke was likely third choice. A project, that could come good with the right training and opportunities. Though with every unproven player, it can always go two ways and you can never guarantee which.

Apologies. I read it as Rose and Wilson to shield Pyke as in Pyke being first choice. Sorry
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 208
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2023, 10:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from heppy88

Just disappointed that’s all. Disappointed with the result and the reaction to be honest. For all our possession we lost 3 0. It was the same at Walsall and Bradford. I thought we deserved the 3 points in both. But ended up with a point a piece. Yeh I admit my comments were melodramatic but that’s only because I care. A few have said the result was a forgone conclusion, but if that’s the case then why as supporters do we even turn up?

When we get promoted all you hear is consolidating and building. But when Wrexham get promotion everyone talks as if they have a right for back to back promotions. Notts are not doing too bad either. Every time Hurst gives an interview he spends a good proportion bulling up the opposition. Listen back it’s almost a habit. It’s as if he wants to prepare us and possibly himself for the worst possible outcome.

People comment that we didn’t stand a chance because their (Wrexham) spending power is so much more than ours. Again this is mentioned by Hurst. There will always be teams with inflated spending, does that mean we should just rollover and admit defeat before a ball is kicked?

For someone who began supporting the Mariners at the beginning of the Buckley era, the last 20 years have been hard to take (league positions). It’s as if a real apathy and defeatist mind set has set in and we  seem to be afraid to dream big, something that was not evident in the late 80’s and 90’s.

I’ve been a fan a lot longer and, in many ways, this is as frustrating as it gets. The club is on a much firmer footing yet we still seem scared of way too many other clubs who just happen to stand in our way.

We constantly field a team that’s focused on stopping the opposition rather than imposing our own game. We constantly replace flair players with effort players which, I’m guessing, is down to our dour manager and his even more dour assistant.

We look like we’re happy to be mid table already. Very underwhelming.
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 208
heppy88
September 16, 2023, 10:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ve been a fan a lot longer and, in many ways, this is as frustrating as it gets. The club is on a much firmer footing yet we still seem scared of way too many other clubs who just happen to stand in our way.

We constantly field a team that’s focused on stopping the opposition rather than imposing our own game. We constantly replace flair players with effort players which, I’m guessing, is down to our dour manager and his even more dour assistant.

We look like we’re happy to be mid table already. Very underwhelming.

Where’s the inspiration, the confidence, the belief? Managing expectations is right . But I honestly believe we do it to the extreme. It doesn’t have to be a delusional, false belief, in something unachievable. But a bit of self confidence and a belief in our ability to achieve good things wouldn’t go amiss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 208
sam gy
September 16, 2023, 10:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from heppy88

When we get promoted all you hear is consolidating and building. But when Wrexham get promotion everyone talks as if they have a right for back to back promotions. Notts are not doing too bad either.

They’ve both spent and are spending an eye watering amount compared to us. Look at the calibre of players they can afford to have on their books.

I don’t like it one bit, but it is what it is. It’s an obvious advantage which is why people are talking them up so much. We’re not blessed with the spending power or the ability to attract the same type of players so naturally are more realistic…if we weren’t, we’d just be disappointed.

I too was around for the Buckley days, but the game has changed and unfortunately there’s a lot more money around these days. And it’s not for the best.

Not saying we can’t be successful, but it’s gonna take time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 208
Norseman
September 16, 2023, 11:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
We lost to a team that is easily spending top league 1 lower championship money . Yes we didn't lay a glove on them .But you get games like that .It's disappointing .But I'm not worried for the season . The squad we have will give us more good days than bad .Hopefully in the end we might scrape a play off place .We might not .But it's part and parcel of following our Team UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 208
21 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Wrexham

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.