3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
September 10, 2023, 4:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,136
Gold Stars: 209
Just been looking back through my camera roll...

Right, firstly, I know it's frowned upon by some, and I understand that but, to be honest, I'm one of those people who sometimes (not always) gets my phone out when we win a set piece in the hope I'll capture a goal.

All I have this season is a succession of corners either going straight into the hands of the keeper, or being cleared; free kicks either not clearing the first man or drifting out for goal kicks.

I know Maher scored a cracking header from a corner last weekend and we won't win every set piece header, but we do seem (generally) weak in this area so far.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Southwark Mariner
September 10, 2023, 4:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Email Hurst straight away! It's analysis like this we've been missing under Fenty's reign!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
Northbank Mariner
September 10, 2023, 5:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,499
Gold Stars: 171
Honestly, you can have all the coaching badges you want but the experience of a qualified, ex forward/striker would work wonders for this squad.
All of our coaching staff are defenders. Now I'm not saying any of them are incompetent but they will know how to defend like its second nature so probably easy to impart knowledge onto our own crop if defenders.
Who gives the front line that guidance, shows them instinctively how to react, read the game, where to find the gaps, somethings you can't learn in a book, only on the shop floor.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
chaos33
September 10, 2023, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
How do you ‘show’ someone ‘instinctively’ how to react?
Completely flawed argument this. Ex defenders with coaching qualifications and experience can’t coach strikers; who apparently are instinctive anyway.?!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
ex-merseymariner
September 10, 2023, 5:40pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from RichMariner
Just been looking back through my camera roll...

Right, firstly, I know it's frowned upon by some, and I understand that but, to be honest, I'm one of those people who sometimes (not always) gets my phone out when we win a set piece in the hope I'll capture a goal.

All I have this season is a succession of corners either going straight into the hands of the keeper, or being cleared; free kicks either not clearing the first man or drifting out for goal kicks.

I know Maher scored a cracking header from a corner last weekend and we won't win every set piece header, but we do seem (generally) weak in this area so far.

Doesn't  this analysis forget at least one of eisas goals tho?
Plus maher had a half chance in injury time post a set piece yesterday.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Abdul19
September 10, 2023, 7:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,563
Gold Stars: 217
When the strikers coaching thing crops up I always think of the 97/98 team: a brilliant side led by a brilliant goalscorer - whose top scoring striker scored 8!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
aldi_01
September 11, 2023, 6:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The idea that having a defensive coaching is a contributing factor to the team not being attacking enough is bizarre. The best team in the land are managed by a former relatively defensive midfielder yet Alan shearer, one of the best strikers of all time was a dreadful coach.

Set pieces are an interesting concept these days anyway. I’d argue that teams that seemingly score a fair few or even play for them are often spoken about negatively. I’m sure Opta did some analysis and the higher up you go teams make positive use of set pieces even less.

I agree we could be more of a threat but I just think it’s an evolution of the game rather than some notion that it’s poor coaching.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Northbank Mariner
September 11, 2023, 8:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
How do you ‘show’ someone ‘instinctively’ how to react?
Completely flawed argument this. Ex defenders with coaching qualifications and experience can’t coach strikers; who apparently are instinctive anyway.?!

I'm on about the ex player you male masturbation biscuit...Good god, we are weak as p!ss up front and whilst we only have ex defenders as coaches you best get used to it!..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Northbank Mariner
September 11, 2023, 8:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
The idea that having a defensive coaching is a contributing factor to the team not being attacking enough is bizarre. The best team in the land are managed by a former relatively defensive midfielder yet Alan shearer, one of the best strikers of all time was a dreadful coach.

Set pieces are an interesting concept these days anyway. I’d argue that teams that seemingly score a fair few or even play for them are often spoken about negatively. I’m sure Opta did some analysis and the higher up you go teams make positive use of set pieces even less.

I agree we could be more of a threat but I just think it’s an evolution of the game rather than some notion that it’s poor coaching.

Why is it bizarre?..pep has a myriad of coaches, some of whom are attacking coaches, set piece coaches, defensive coaches, something we don't have, we have 4 ex defenders as coaches.
As an all rounder Hurst has done okay, I just think we/he needs somebody who knows how to operate at the top end of the pitch,
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
chaos33
September 11, 2023, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
As an adult (I presume), do you want to stand by calling someone a ‘w**k biscuit’ because they posted an alternative view, or are you going to edit it?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Set pieces

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.