3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
September 11, 2023, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I think the OP has a point. We are not good at set peace kicks.

What we do about it is another matter……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Poojah
September 11, 2023, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,554
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I think the OP has a point. We are not good at set peace kicks.

What we do about it is another matter……

There will be few better opportunities to right that than against an Aaron Hayden-less Wrexham on Saturday.

Wrexham are almost the antithesis of the Bradford side we just faced; offensively virile but defensively hapless.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
diehardmariner
September 11, 2023, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,624
Gold Stars: 539
This line about only having defensive coaches isn't true.

Ben Davies spent the final years of his career at right-back.  Other than that he was a very attacking, creative midfielder operating either centrally or wide.  He also had a very, very sweet delivery from free-kicks.  We didn't get to see a lot of it but here's just one example of him doing so.  

1:20 in

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
grimsby pete
September 11, 2023, 12:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
It might be an age thing but what is a male masturbation biscuit ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Balthazar Bullitt
September 11, 2023, 1:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete
It might be an age thing but what is a male masturbation biscuit ?

It was the name given to a failed experiment by McVities when they tried to combine a chocolate bourbon, a ginger nut and a custard cream into one thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Maringer
September 11, 2023, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
If you don't understand the reference, Pete, you're really better off remaining in the dark!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
RichMariner
September 11, 2023, 3:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
If I'm an ex-pro who played as a defender, e.g. Hurst, I should know how to set a team up to defend set pieces.

Conversely, I should also know what defenders hate at set pieces, and therefore use this knowledge to set a team up to attack set pieces.

I think it works both ways. Attacking ex-pros should know how to set up a team to defend by considering everything they hated coming up against during their playing days.

Original point still stands, which is that I think we could be much more effective from set pieces.

I do agree with an earlier post that says the higher up the leagues you go, the more obsolete set pieces become. Fewer goals are scored from set pieces in the PL than they are in the lower leagues.

However, we are the lower leagues, so we need to lean into this a bit. We're not gonna change the culture of L2 football by being the side that tries to score the vast majority of our goals from open play.

Players at this level are clumsy. They're going to give away silly free kicks 30-40 yards out. We know from Jordan Cropper that even throw-ins can be a source of goals.

I'm not asking us to become Wrexham. But in the Bradford game, taken as an 'average' game, we had at least four or five opportunities from free kicks alone (without 'playing' for them) to pop it into a good area and the execution was poor.

We shouldn't be a route one, set piece-dependent team. But when we're given free chances to put the ball into a good area, under no pressure, we should be better than what we are.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
diehardmariner
September 11, 2023, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
On the most basic of levels, a set-piece involves two elements.  The ability to put a ball into a dangerous area and the ability to get someone onto the end of that ball.  The less simpler elements and arguably those that make them more effective is the pace, trajectory etc. of the delivery then the positioning, stance, movement of the players in the mixer.  

I actually think our delivery at set-pieces has been ok this season. Which is a bit of a novelty because with the exception of an on loan Alex Hunt and then the one Danny Andrew season/Conor Townsend loans, our delivery has felt poor for a long, long time.  

But the issue as I see it is that we're static as hell in the box.  Watch the next game how we move at corners, largely we don't.  There's no anticipation or even an attempt at gambling on an outcome, it's all just reactionary static stuff.  Our success in the Conference on set-pieces came pretty much because Waterfall was just a beast at that level and teams couldn't cope with him.  With better defending that threat became less so and we've failed to provide a new threat.  

The defending is better at this level, but it's still not amazing.   A bit of movement and invention at set-pieces and I think sides would really struggle to cope.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
toontown
September 11, 2023, 7:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I think the main factor is the lack of both Glennon and Hunt in the team who were the set piece taking experts. I personally feel their omission is justified BUT one of the downsides is the lack of set piece taking ability in those players in the first 11. Amos is simply not as good as Glennon at it. Gnouhah is not as good as hunt at it. Simple as that. We are a poorer team at set pieces with neither in the team, but better defensively in open play.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
diehardmariner
September 12, 2023, 4:12am
Vodka Drinker
I actually think Gnahoua's deliveries from set-pieces are more consistent than anything from Hunt and Glennon.

The latter two perhaps have that one in five/six that are really good, but the rest tend to be poor. Gnahoua just seems to keep it simple and puts it in the dangerous area.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Set pieces

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.