3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
DB
September 12, 2023, 6:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
The problem with Glennon and Hunt as I see it is that they both performed to a higher standard earlier with us, showcasing their abilities. That standard has dropped, for whatever reason, giving us reason to moan.

All they have to do is return to their old ways, train harder and put extra time in at Cheapside to resurrect their old form. Going back decades a young thin skinny kid played and trained with Scunny. Most afternoons after training finished he pit in a few extra hours to try to hone his skills. It worked for Kevin Keegan and would more than likely work for our pair.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
diehardmariner
September 12, 2023, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Glennon came from Burnley and Hunt from Sheff Weds.

Bigger clubs, better coaches, better facilities, better players to train with, better everything.

Their quality is more likely to drop as they drop down the levels because of a number of factors, none more so than the access to the things that helped them reach that higher level to start with.  

I don't think it's as simple as just trying harder.  If that was the case every player who put in extra hours would improve at a significant rate.  Yes, practice makes perfect and I do believe in the 10,000 hour rule to an extent. But it's as much about what goes on around those practice hours as it is the hours spent.  

There's a great book on this by Matthew Syed called Bounce.  I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in what makes the best the best. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-Myth-Talent-Power-Practice/dp/0007350546
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
1mickylyons
September 12, 2023, 1:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
I 8ften read posts here and shake my head.Lers have it right were talking about professional footballers who should be more than capable if taking throw ins crossing,passing a football or taking corners and beating the first man. Hunt was excellent so was Glennon they've both dropped in quality of delivery and none if our other players look capable either what do we work on all week in training?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
diehardmariner
September 12, 2023, 2:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
It's not exclusive to us though is it.

It goes on at all levels, right up to the highest level were the delivery of set-pieces can be absolutely urine poor.  

If I'm honest, it baffles me.  It feels absolutely basic, but something happens when players cross the white line and their ability to hit the targets in the box just disappears.  I can't imagine that in training all week Glennon, Hunt, whoever are hit and miss so we think we'll just hope it works out come game day.

Maybe it's like penalties and you can't replicate the match environment, maybe the set-piece takers just panic a bit and crumble.  
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Set pieces

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.