6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
August 31, 2023, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
I think most Town fans agree we need one or would like one in realistically were probably looking at a loan option ? Personally I'd break the bank and go for Armstrong from Harrogate any other shouts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
gtfc98
August 31, 2023, 7:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I think most Town fans agree we need one or would like one in realistically were probably looking at a loan option ? Personally I'd break the bank and go for Armstrong from Harrogate any other shouts?

Not sure we've got £400k to spend!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 31, 2023, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,718
Gold Stars: 237
We've spent the vast majority of the budget haven't we? If the idea was to spread the goals around you would have thought a more attacking and expansive style of play would have been followed.

Whatever the quality of the strikers weve got or will get, we need to play 2 up front to give us half a chance. We are nowhere near good enough at creating attacking play, putting crosses in or slicing through defences. I cannot think of a single gilt edge chance we have created and missed in the games I've seen.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
Mappers
August 31, 2023, 8:29am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
We've spent the vast majority of the budget haven't we? If the idea was to spread the goals around you would have thought a more attacking and expansive style of play would have been followed.

Whatever the quality of the strikers weve got or will get, we need to play 2 up front to give us half a chance. We are nowhere near good enough at creating attacking play, putting crosses in or slicing through defences. I cannot think of a single gilt edge chance we have created and missed in the games I've seen.

I think one of our main problems is we have no threat in behind which makes us very predictable and we play most of the game in front of the opposition - I'm not sure it's definitely a 20 goal a season we even need - possibly just someone with that pace who Rose can play off ( maybe Wilson was the man to do this ?) Boulding was my favourite at doing that role - teams were scared of that threat which obviously frees up a lot more space for the other players and gave that option to go in behind .

Like you say we don't create clear cut chances and very rarely get 1 on 1s with the keeper like other teams do .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
It Bites
August 31, 2023, 8:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,198
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mappers

I think one of our main problems is we have no threat in behind which makes us very predictable and we play most of the game in front of the opposition - I'm not sure it's definitely a 20 goal a season we even need - possibly just someone with that pace who Rose can play off ( maybe Wilson was the man to do this ?) Boulding was my favourite at doing that role - teams were scared of that threat which obviously frees up a lot more space for the other players and gave that option to go in behind .

Like you say we don't create clear cut chances and very rarely get 1 on 1s with the keeper like other teams do .

Absolutely spot on mate . The runners are nonexistent. Rose just heads it back to their defence because no one is making those runs . Imo we need an intelligent player who finds space and can Finish , some one like Orsi but better
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
jamesgtfc
August 31, 2023, 9:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
I think the system has been somewhat hampered by injuries to Pyke and Wilson. 3 plus a young pro in Essel however is a bit light if the intention was to play 2 up top, unless you looked to use Eisa, Vernam or Khan there.

Whilst I think Armstrong would be a good addition to most teams at this level, I think the asking price is a bit steep.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
GrimPol
August 31, 2023, 9:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from It Bites

Absolutely spot on mate . The runners are nonexistent. Rose just heads it back to their defence because no one is making those runs . Imo we need an intelligent player who finds space and can Finish , some one like Orsi but better

Of course, we are assuming that it's the players not capable or not wanting to run onto headed balls. It could be that's how they are trained/programmed to play.
Take out Abo Eisa stunning goals (I can't remember the last Town player capable of that) and Towns showing has been, to be kind, average.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 56
Hagrid
August 31, 2023, 9:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,419
Gold Stars: 534
400K for a league 2 striker is obscene, and we shouldnt be anywhere near it at that price, just shows the money in the league that teams are able to pay that.

I expect a loan move in probably going down to 11 o clock
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
Croxton
August 31, 2023, 9:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Our own vulnerability against pace underlines the double jeopardy of having none to deploy against the opposition. Hence we defend rather deep and on transition we find that our forwards have already been marked.

If we had quicker thinking players, good movement and accurate passing as shown by Mansfield and Notts then we could work round our lack of pace. Vernam is frustrated at being closed down so quickly and has failed to adapt. Gnahoua was quick when at Macclesfield but, like Vernam, has lost a yard or two.

Pyke, as Shrewsbury found, is not an instinctive centre forward, more a useful utility sub. We won't get tonked like Harrogate but I foresee lots of grinding draws.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
headingly_mariner
August 31, 2023, 10:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,374
Gold Stars: 113
I think we need a Number 10 more than a striker. I really like rose leading the line. He needs a creative player inside or alongside him to really hurt teams in the space he creates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Striker

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.