Reply: 21 - 56
TownSNAFU5
August 31, 2023, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
As a pundit said this week, you have to pay good money for s striker who is likely to score a lot of  goals.

Everybody wants a 20 goals a season striker.  We are unlikely to find anyone good enough that we can afford.  Do we need a prolific striker?  A big risk putting all your money and eggs in one basket?

Ask Chesterfield.

Plymouth and Orient were both champions last season.  Their top scorers only had 13 goals and 10 goals.  Clearly they scored plenty goals from around the team.

This seems to be the way go, and with reduced risk.  Not sure that we have enough scorers who are non-strikers that can contribute as many goals as we ideally need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
DB
August 31, 2023, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
As a pundit said this week, you have to pay good money for s striker who is likely to score a lot of  goals.

Everybody wants a 20 goals a season striker.  We are unlikely to find anyone good enough that we can afford.  Do we need a prolific striker?  A big risk putting all your money and eggs in one basket?

Ask Chesterfield.

Plymouth and Orient were both champions last season.  Their top scorers only had 13 goals and 10 goals.  Clearly they scored plenty goals from around the team.

This seems to be the way go, and with reduced risk.  Not sure that we have enough scorers who are non-strikers that can contribute as many goals as we ideally need.

A couple or so seasons ago we had goalscorers from all over the pitch, something like 8/9 different scores in the first few games. So we know it can be done at BP.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
Gaffer58
August 31, 2023, 3:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I would always play 2 up front, first it means there is always someone within distance for any knockdowns, also it means the opposition will have to keep 3 if not more often 4 defenders back for cover, that should hopefully create more space in midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
GrimPol
August 31, 2023, 3:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Captain Sensible

McAtee?

Well yes, I just took him as at peno area scorer. But yes he did score several from outside the area, one I believe was a volley. But he was exceptional two seasons ago, but last season, not so much.

Point taken.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
Poojah
August 31, 2023, 3:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from GrimPol

Well yes, I just took him as at peno area scorer. But yes he did score several from outside the area, one I believe was a volley. But he was exceptional two seasons ago, but last season, not so much.

Point taken.

That one at Wrexham was alright.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
CSLM
August 31, 2023, 3:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
It's mad how we have gone from supposedly creating loads of chances,to hardly any, so we have scored more than we "should have".

Clearly we will not score a worldy every week but I do find it odd that people almost don't count these as real goals.
I agree that we should be/need to create more, Rose needs support 100%. I think we have a top league 2 player in Rose, tbf we have 3 or 4 of them now I would say.
Definitely feels like a bit of height and muscle is what we need, there are still a few of them about.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
grimsby pete
August 31, 2023, 4:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
We don't have to get a 20 goal striker just one who is a  big strong lad who can bring others into play ,

You never know Rose might be able to score 20 given the right service.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 31, 2023, 4:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from CSLM
It's mad how we have gone from supposedly creating loads of chances,to hardly any, so we have scored more than we "should have".

Clearly we will not score a worldy every week but I do find it odd that people almost don't count these as real goals.
I agree that we should be/need to create more, Rose needs support 100%. I think we have a top league 2 player in Rose, tbf we have 3 or 4 of them now I would say.
Definitely feels like a bit of height and muscle is what we need, there are still a few of them about.

Tell me about it!

If Eisa's goals had been scrambled near post poke ins by a big striker or thumping back post headers would anyone be saying 'yeah, but you can't count them'?

Of course they wouldn't.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Striker

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.