mariner91
August 31, 2023, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think we need a Number 10 more than a striker. I really like rose leading the line. He needs a creative player inside or alongside him to really hurt teams in the space he creates.

Definitely this. We don't have runners from midfield and the wide players aren't filling the box when the ball is on the opposite flank so Rose is isolated. But give him someone to utilise the chaos that he creates and it's a different ball game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 31, 2023, 11:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
Ill judge once ive seen pyke and wilson play more, my guess is that hursts masterplan involved one of those two somehow, cant imagine his plan for the season was rose upfront on his own every game and both of those players on the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
diehardmariner
August 31, 2023, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I think we need a Number 10 more than a striker. I really like rose leading the line. He needs a creative player inside or alongside him to really hurt teams in the space he creates.

I think Rose can do either role.  Be it leading the line or the one who works off someone, he's got the attributes to do both.  But he can't do both, which is what we're asking of him at the minute.  

From the limited bits I've seen of them Pyke looks like someone who wants to lead the line so I guess a pairing of those two would see Rose drop a little, whereas Wilson looks to work off someone which would see Rose go back to a No 9 type role.

Just on numbers alone, we need another striker in.  I just hope it's of high quality rather than a Tom Dickson-Peters type squad filler.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
fishcake63
August 31, 2023, 12:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
we play one up front that will be rose got pyke wilson when fit that can also play up there unless it's an improvement i dont see the point of another young bench warmer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 31, 2023, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237

Couldn't we utilise Vernam or Eisa to do that? Why the hell we are playing with one up front when we could make adjustments in the existing squad is baffling.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
Hagrid
August 31, 2023, 12:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534

Couldn't we utilise Vernam or Eisa to do that? Why the hell we are playing with one up front when we could make adjustments in the existing squad is baffling.

Eisa's played there, he looked lost, he's scoring goals out on the left why on earth would you then move him?

Vernam needs to get some confidence back in himself before he's anywhere near the 11 imo

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
It Bites
August 31, 2023, 1:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265

Vernams can do the Macatee thing when he’s up to speed . He looks a bit low on confidence and fitness too me . Eisa needs a free role to use that sledgehammer as much as possible
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 31, 2023, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Hagrid

Eisa's played there, he looked lost, he's scoring goals out on the left why on earth would you then move him?

Vernam needs to get some confidence back in himself before he's anywhere near the 11 imo

Eisa looked lost full stop at first, but once the first goal went in he got some confidence. Surely he would be even more of a threat and involved behind Rose?

Vernam is not working at the minute so perhaps a change of position would work wonders?

In any event we cannot go on with one striker with our quality of players supporting him so my solution would be to try something different with our current personnel rather than keep playing in a way that is bringing just about zero chances and efforts on goal.

Wherever he would play, without Eisa's spectacular goals we would be really worried.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
petethemariner
August 31, 2023, 2:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I  seew Rotherham have just splashed £1 million on a striker from Exeter, perhaps with the goodwill for a former
club legend thery could loan us someone whos going down the striker pecking order, what has hgappened to
Tom Eaves? he was at Rotherham last time i heard and used to be prolific for Gillingham at league 1 and 2 (38 goals in 84 games, scored 14 for Hull at Championship level as well, hasnt done anything for Rotherham, but perhaps  he could get his goal scoring Mojo back at league 2 level? 6ft 3 too, so a physical prescence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Captain Sensible
August 31, 2023, 2:07pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from GrimPol

Of course, we are assuming that it's the players not capable or not wanting to run onto headed balls. It could be that's how they are trained/programmed to play.
Take out Abo Eisa stunning goals (I can't remember the last Town player capable of that) and Towns showing has been, to be kind, average.

McAtee?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Striker

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.