14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
August 29, 2023, 9:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,090
Gold Stars: 45
Forgot we were playing tonight so just read this entire thread without knowing the score. It completely sums up the fishy and a lot of town fans in general, hilarious!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 132
forza ivano
August 29, 2023, 9:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
slowly but surely got better in the 2nd half - khouri, efete & hunt much better, and Pyke became more involved the longer it went on.
Clifton motm, even though he was only on for 45 mins! Thought Glennon (once again, against better opposition) had a decent game as did Mullarkey
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 132
LondonMariner43
August 29, 2023, 10:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,955
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Poojah

Bit early to be saying that. There’s no doubt he’ll be disappointed with how things have gone so far; finding himself second fiddle (after probably signing with hopes if not expectations of being first choice) and then making errors in the minor games he’s featured in, but you don’t make GK appearances for England at youth level without having something about you.

He’s making his first handful of senior appearances in the game. More time needed before writing him off; imho.

Given how much confidence plays a part in goal-keeping, it must be 'wonderful' for him to read the comments on Twitter slagging him off when he's hardly played a game for us.  Our fans are truly pathetic at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 132
gtfc98
August 30, 2023, 12:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
After watching that on Mariners TV I'm even more convinced we need to switch to wing backs. Efete and Glennon are both excellent going forward but are pretty poor defensively.  I'm thinking something that looks like this;

Eastwood

Mullarkey     Rodgers  Maher

Efete                                                               Glennon
                               Conteh      Clifton

Eisa

Rose         Pyke (or striker signed this week!)

I thought Mullarkey looked really good with that freedom to move forward from CB against 10 men tonight, with Rodgers and Maher in a 3 he can still do that, and we can maximise what we can get out of Efete. He just gets caught out defensively far too much to be trusted as an out and out full back. Same goes for Glennon, miles better as a wing back and we saw the best of him in the second half tonight.

I accept the problem with this idea is that we move Eisa in from the left where he's been so effectively, but this way we get a second striker closer to Rose, Eisa dropping in just behind and fit Efete and Glennon in who are big threats going forward whilst mitigating against their defensive flaws with covering centre backs.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 132
Croxton
August 30, 2023, 11:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from gtfc98
After watching that on Mariners TV I'm even more convinced we need to switch to wing backs. Efete and Glennon are both excellent going forward but are pretty poor defensively.  I'm thinking something that looks like this;

Eastwood

Mullarkey     Rodgers  Maher

Efete                                                               Glennon
                               Conteh      Clifton

Eisa

Rose         Pyke (or striker signed this week!)

I thought Mullarkey looked really good with that freedom to move forward from CB against 10 men tonight, with Rodgers and Maher in a 3 he can still do that, and we can maximise what we can get out of Efete. He just gets caught out defensively far too much to be trusted as an out and out full back. Same goes for Glennon, miles better as a wing back and we saw the best of him in the second half tonight.

I accept the problem with this idea is that we move Eisa in from the left where he's been so effectively, but this way we get a second striker closer to Rose, Eisa dropping in just behind and fit Efete and Glennon in who are big threats going forward whilst mitigating against their defensive flaws with covering centre backs.

I would not have Pyke or Efete in my starting X1 let alone together! If we are going long late in a game then perhaps throw Efete on in attack. Pyke is one paced and reactive rather than creating space.

Vernam needs to knuckle down and rebuild his game. Same with Gnahouha, trying to beat a man in tight situations usually surrenders possession. Both have more tricks than Clifton but only half his energy and persistence. We will have to be patient with our out of form players as Khan and Wilson need another preseason.

Ironically, Freddie Draper for Walsall has all you want from an U21 loanee, Quick, strong, hard working, two footed and full of confidence. Gave our defence plenty to think about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 132
Captain Sensible
August 30, 2023, 3:24pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
I haven't seen an announcement of the attendance.

Have I missed it, or is that a new policy by the club for this competition?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 132
Les Brechin
August 30, 2023, 3:32pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Captain Sensible
I haven't seen an announcement of the attendance.

Have I missed it, or is that a new policy by the club for this competition?

1101, 110 away.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 132
Captain Sensible
August 30, 2023, 3:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

1101, 110 away.

Thank you.  More than I expected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 132
Poojah
August 30, 2023, 4:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
That’s way too many.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 132
ginnywings
August 30, 2023, 4:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Les Brechin

1101, 110 away.

Is that binary code for the real attendance?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 132
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Man City

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.