Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wot!  No attendance thread!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Wot!  No attendance thread!

This thread currently has 5,379 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
August 22, 2023, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from diehardmariner

I know, I know.  We tried it in the 80's and everyone hated it...

I quite enjoyed the 80s

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2023, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
And yet you couldn't hear a peep on the other side of the ground...

That's the biggest problem, the empty space just kills any noise.

From the Main Stand, once they got going, the Mansfield fans were very loud but that's aided hugely as one side of their stand is connected.   It's not popular, nor really do-able with segregation should we want half the away end of the majority of games.  But the layout of the ground lends itself better to the more open stand (Pontoon) getting used as the away end and the stand with the best acoustics for travelling noise (Osmond) becoming the home end.

I said the same a few posts up and it does make logistical sense if you view the stadium dispassionately.

I wonder (hope) there are more substantive plans in the pipeline that make our musings worthless. We live in hope.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
diehardmariner
August 22, 2023, 1:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
With the very short-term fixes that have gone into the Main Stand this summer, especially structurally, I'm almost convinced that there's a fairly substantive plan in place which we'll see come to light in the next 12 months.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
lukeo
August 22, 2023, 4:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
And yet you couldn't hear a peep on the other side of the ground...

That's the biggest problem, the empty space just kills any noise.

From the Main Stand, once they got going, the Mansfield fans were very loud but that's aided hugely as one side of their stand is connected.   It's not popular, nor really do-able with segregation should we want half the away end of the majority of games.  But the layout of the ground lends itself better to the more open stand (Pontoon) getting used as the away end and the stand with the best acoustics for travelling noise (Osmond) becoming the home end.

I said this 15-20 years ago and got shot down by everyone. But forgetting what it is now and the history, if this stadium was just built and someone said to you "where would you put the away fans"
90%+ of people would say the pontoon. Its sectioned off away from the other stands and access is further away etc. Only downside would be regards away coaches
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
CSLM
August 22, 2023, 9:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from lukeo

I said this 15-20 years ago and got shot down by everyone. But forgetting what it is now and the history, if this stadium was just built and someone said to you "where would you put the away fans"
90%+ of people would say the pontoon. Its sectioned off away from the other stands and access is further away etc. Only downside would be regards away coaches

What about when there are only 50 away fans. You gonna segregate the pontoon?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 22, 2023, 11:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
The main problem with putting away support into the pontoon, is that there are a large number of seats at the back of the osmond with a terrible view

Attachment: img_5146_7411.jpeg
Size: 48.95 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
lukeo
August 23, 2023, 5:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from CSLM

No because we wouldn't fill the rest of the ground anyway (at the moment)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
Croxton
August 23, 2023, 8:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
The main problem with putting away support into the pontoon, is that there are a large number of seats at the back of the osmond with a terrible view

And lower down we would be 'Walking in circles, blinded by the sun'
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
diehardmariner
August 23, 2023, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

If anyone is watching the game through their phone, which is held above their head at that height, then they deserve a excrement view.  

Quoted from lukeo

Be just a flip situation of what's going on now.  Away fans are released via the Osmond/Main entrance onto Harrington Street.  Instead they would go have to go onto Harrington Street via the Main/Pontoon entrance, which is actually closer to the coaches anyway.   Fans in the Main would leave via the Main/Osmond entrance or walk through the Osmond as opposed to walking through the Pontoon.

Quoted from CSLM

And that's the biggest barrier. I guess having some sort of facility in one of the Pontoon corners to host those small handfuls would help, with the Pontoon having that flexibility to be offered for individual match tickets - a near flip of the current situation with the Osmond.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
August 23, 2023, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
I don't understand why some fans think "that's a problem, so that is a no to that suggestion. "

All problems have solutions, often quite simple ones.

It all depends on what the owners' intentions are but if no substantial improvements are in the pipeline there is a lot they can to maximise what we've got with some ingenuity.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wot!  No attendance thread!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.