Roast Em Bobby
August 13, 2023, 11:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Conteh and Hunt are both terrific footballers who will create loads this season. Binning off players after two games against good opposition is frankly ridiculous. There’s a whole new set of players bedding in and I’m pretty sure the manager will work out a style to suit.

Reflecting on his post match interview, he said he was a lot happier than he was on Tuesday night. I’m pretty sure that means we’re heading in the right direction.

I think Conteh has shown that he can play the ball out from the back, so we don't need Hunt doing that as well, and quite frankly he's not offering a great deal going forwards either. He also has a tendency to give the ball away in dangerous areas and to play balls into players feet who are surrounded by opposition players and again we squander possession in dangerous areas due to this (I think he's used to playing with players with more technical ability than most league two players possess, who can handle the ball in tight areas). Hunt definitely has great technical abilities, but I just don't think he's suited to League Two football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 185
Roast Em Bobby
August 13, 2023, 11:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from mariner91
532 with the current squad would be horrible. Mullarkey is a CB who does a decent job at right back but he wouldn’t be able to offer an attacking threat on his own down that side. Glennon is too slow and his form has deteriorated completely. County showed how to do it yesterday with quick, skilful players out wide starting high up the pitch offering a threat in behind or when the ball goes to feet. Neither Mullarkey or Glennon are capable of taking on the opposition or getting them turned by running on to a ball behind so we’d end up with a flat back five.

Most of our midfielders aren’t good enough on the ball to effectively play through the middle quickly either. Conteh appears to be able to and Hunt can when given time and space (which is less available in L2) but the others can’t. So we’d have no width going forward and struggle to get the ball through the middle. It’s also quite reliant on all of your centre backs being very comfortable on the ball if you’re going to play it through the middle, I don’t think Waterfall is capable of that (not a criticism, just an observation). We’d end up hitting long balls in to the front two and hoping something comes from that. And even then we’d struggle a bit cause none of the strikers we have are classic hold up players.

I disagree, I think Glennon's assist stats were quite high last year - hence there were rumours of bigger clubs sniffing around for him (if only this would come true). Although I've seen less of Mullarkey, from what I've seen he looks decent going foward but a bit suspect defensively.

At the end of the day Its not rocket science is it:

Keeper to Conteh
Conteh to Wide players
Wide Players get a cross in
Score directly from cross OR clifton/holohan on the follow up

urine easy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 185
Davec
August 13, 2023, 11:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
If we are going to do 3-5-2/5-3-2 I think Mullarkey would be much better as a right sided centre back which could see him bomb forward abit like Reece Hall Johnson did for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 185
devs
August 13, 2023, 12:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
We effectively had only 4 attacking players yesterdays cos Vernam and Eisa were utterly awful - they offered nothing
Pretty hard to win a game with two of your 'match winners' completely off the pace

Notts County played terrific football with a very regimented style that also allowed great creativity and freedom for players to express themselves

When we got the ball too often (as per last season) we either gave it away cheaply or lacked any ideas/craft/final ball

Rose was excellent; Clifton awful first half but much better 2nd; Conteh is a real player; Hunt in and out

Our defence will be no better or worse than any other in L2 - it's the final third where we have to improve hugely to even think about the play offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 185
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2023, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

I think thats a bit OTT on Hunt. But for a very good 3 months of his initial loan spell, I fail to see what he’s done to give you that impression

Might be that he was voted MoM a week ago if my short term memory hasn’t served me wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 185
Hagrid
August 13, 2023, 12:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,427
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Might be that he was voted MoM a week ago if my short term memory hasn’t served me wrong.

By the sponsors. In a game he wasn’t close to being MOM in.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 185
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2023, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

By the sponsors. In a game he wasn’t close to being MOM in.

All about opinions, isn't it? I'm not saying he was or wasn't but we've looked a lot better side in the games he's played this season than the one he didn't.
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 185
Hagrid
August 13, 2023, 12:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,427
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from MuddyWaters

All about opinions, isn't it? I'm not saying he was or wasn't but we've looked a lot better side in the games he's played this season than the one he didn't.

I just dont feel he’s the answer, don’t think he’s shown anywhere near enough considering we paid a fee and gave him a 3 year deal
But as you say, all about opinions
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 185
lew chaterleys lover
August 13, 2023, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91
532 with the current squad would be horrible. Mullarkey is a CB who does a decent job at right back but he wouldn’t be able to offer an attacking threat on his own down that side. Glennon is too slow and his form has deteriorated completely. County showed how to do it yesterday with quick, skilful players out wide starting high up the pitch offering a threat in behind or when the ball goes to feet. Neither Mullarkey or Glennon are capable of taking on the opposition or getting them turned by running on to a ball behind so we’d end up with a flat back five.

Most of our midfielders aren’t good enough on the ball to effectively play through the middle quickly either. Conteh appears to be able to and Hunt can when given time and space (which is less available in L2) but the others can’t. So we’d have no width going forward and struggle to get the ball through the middle. It’s also quite reliant on all of your centre backs being very comfortable on the ball if you’re going to play it through the middle, I don’t think Waterfall is capable of that (not a criticism, just an observation). We’d end up hitting long balls in to the front two and hoping something comes from that. And even then we’d struggle a bit cause none of the strikers we have are classic hold up players.

Your point about the County wide men receiving the ball high up the pitch is something I mentioned a few times last season, or rather that is exactly what we don't do.

We have to play several passes just to get out of our own half before we can mount a serious attack but with the best will in the world, you have to be awfully good to construct a move deep inside your own half resulting in a worthwhile effort on goal.

If we have no target man and our wide men aren't already up the pitch to go straight on the attack what is the plan?
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 185
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 13, 2023, 1:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Hagrid

I just dont feel he’s the answer, don’t think he’s shown anywhere near enough considering we paid a fee and gave him a 3 year deal
But as you say, all about opinions

I feel Hunt and Conteh could be very good but as others have pointed out Hunt currently is playing too deep and I would like him to be receiving the ball ten yards further forward and trust Conteh to protect the defence. I would also like them have Khouri on the left as it’s his natural position and I think he would complement them better than Harry does at present.

Other posters have also commented on how neither Eisa or Vernam actually attack their man and try to beat them, is this by instruction, fear of losing the ball or just not capable? Their two wide guys looked a threat every time they got the ball, particularly in the first half, and reminded me of those wonderful run of matches when we had Sousa and Bopaga bombing forwards.

I definitely feel we need someone playing much closer to Rose and in his two cameos to date Pyke has not done anything which makes me feel he’s the answer but I accept it’s early days and he’s recovering from an injury. Not seen Wilson play yet so could he be the answer or do we need to bring in another forward?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 185
19 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Notts Cty

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.