19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 12, 2023, 11:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,545
Gold Stars: 185
I'm not overly convinced by either Glennon or Amos, truth be told. Amos a bit quicker, but not the strongest, Glennon has reasonable delivery from set pieces, but is lacking in pace.

For right-back, I think Mullarkey looks a better footballer than Efete, but is he a better defender overall? Not at all convinced that this is the case. It's difficult for a tall guy to do well at full-back as nippy wingers tend to be shorter and therefore quicker off the mark and half a yard is all you need to put in a decent cross.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 185
LH
August 12, 2023, 11:25pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,529
Gold Stars: 173
I stood behind Glennon’s family at Rochdale last season (tight perms and moustaches gave them away). Hurst brought Amos on and pushed Glennon forward into left mid and they were visibly ecstatic with that decision. He got the assist for the winner. I don’t think he’s crap but I do think he’s being misused.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 185
lukeo
August 13, 2023, 8:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I honestly think we have some cracking footballers in this team. But the system just isn't working. I'd love to see 532. I'm not expert but something along the lines of ...
Eastwood
Mullarkey Waterfall maher Rodgers glenoon
Hunt conteh clifton
Rose Wilson

I know some are injured or out of form but if everyone's is fit and well, from what I've seen so far, this is what I'd go with. Wilson admittedly I've only seen once but that 1 time I feel he offered more of a goal threat than the others available, although I do like Eisa and think he will come good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 185
Roast Em Bobby
August 13, 2023, 9:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
From what I've seen so far, I tend to agree that 3-5-2/5-3-2 is likely to get the best out of what we've got.

Neither Mullarkey or Glennon are the best defensively but are decent going forward, so a 3-5-2 would give them better insurance defensively. Efete could play on the right side of central defence, whilst Maher is injured. Vernam and Eisa don't convince me at all, so they could be dropped, plus I'd like to see 2 up front.

I'd also replace Hunt with Holohan, so that Conteh can sit, and Holohan and Clifton can get forward and support attacks.

Eastwood
Efete Waterfall Rodgers
Conteh
Mullarkey Holohan Clifton Glennon
Rose Wilson or Pyke
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 185
mariner91
August 13, 2023, 9:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
532 with the current squad would be horrible. Mullarkey is a CB who does a decent job at right back but he wouldn’t be able to offer an attacking threat on his own down that side. Glennon is too slow and his form has deteriorated completely. County showed how to do it yesterday with quick, skilful players out wide starting high up the pitch offering a threat in behind or when the ball goes to feet. Neither Mullarkey or Glennon are capable of taking on the opposition or getting them turned by running on to a ball behind so we’d end up with a flat back five.

Most of our midfielders aren’t good enough on the ball to effectively play through the middle quickly either. Conteh appears to be able to and Hunt can when given time and space (which is less available in L2) but the others can’t. So we’d have no width going forward and struggle to get the ball through the middle. It’s also quite reliant on all of your centre backs being very comfortable on the ball if you’re going to play it through the middle, I don’t think Waterfall is capable of that (not a criticism, just an observation). We’d end up hitting long balls in to the front two and hoping something comes from that. And even then we’d struggle a bit cause none of the strikers we have are classic hold up players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 185
Croxton
August 13, 2023, 9:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
From what I've seen so far, I tend to agree that 3-5-2/5-3-2 is likely to get the best out of what we've got.

Neither Mullarkey or Glennon are the best defensively but are decent going forward, so a 3-5-2 would give them better insurance defensively. Efete could play on the right side of central defence, whilst Maher is injured. Vernam and Eisa don't convince me at all, so they could be dropped, plus I'd like to see 2 up front.

I'd also replace Hunt with Holohan, so that Conteh can sit, and Holohan and Clifton can get forward and support attacks.

Eastwood
Efete Waterfall Rodgers
Conteh
Rose Wilson or Pyke

In hindsight that would have been a better experiment for the Mansfield cup game than the awful shape we endured on Tuesday.

We are failing to get the best out of Rose, willing though he is, by expecting him to execute a one man press, run the channels and get on the end of a meagre supply of crosses.

Rose could be our hero but we have let him down so far.  At Stevenage he had a free role to feast off knock downs from big lumps and a barrage of crosses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 185
1mickylyons
August 13, 2023, 9:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
I think Glennon is a good player but not a good left back .When he plays wing back his excellent delivery and tracking back greatly assist tge team .At LB he's rightly targeted by the opposition if Maher plays its not so noticeable cos he goes across to help .Yesterday it was a huge problem from kick off and PH rightly brought Efete on BUT he should have started with Glenn's LM and Harry where Eisa was he had a lazy performance and band offers nothing I can see? We badly need Khan back .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 185
Hagrid
August 13, 2023, 9:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,427
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I think Glennon is a good player but not a good left back .When he plays wing back his excellent delivery and tracking back greatly assist tge team .At LB he's rightly targeted by the opposition if Maher plays its not so noticeable cos he goes across to help .Yesterday it was a huge problem from kick off and PH rightly brought Efete on BUT he should have started with Glenn's LM and Harry where Eisa was he had a lazy performance and band offers nothing I can see? We badly need Khan back .

Glennon isnt a left midfield player. He’s a left full back and he isnt a good one. We were targeted on our left by sides last season and its been no different so far this

Agree with you about Khan who i really like
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 185
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2023, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Eastwood
Efete Waterfall Rodgers
Conteh
Rose Wilson or Pyke

Conteh and Hunt are both terrific footballers who will create loads this season. Binning off players after two games against good opposition is frankly ridiculous. There’s a whole new set of players bedding in and I’m pretty sure the manager will work out a style to suit.

Reflecting on his post match interview, he said he was a lot happier than he was on Tuesday night. I’m pretty sure that means we’re heading in the right direction.
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 185
Hagrid
August 13, 2023, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,427
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Conteh and Hunt are both terrific footballers who will create loads this season. Binning off players after two games against good opposition is frankly ridiculous. There’s a whole new set of players bedding in and I’m pretty sure the manager will work out a style to suit.

Reflecting on his post match interview, he said he was a lot happier than he was on Tuesday night. I’m pretty sure that means we’re heading in the right direction.

I think thats a bit OTT on Hunt. But for a very good 3 months of his initial loan spell, I fail to see what he’s done to give you that impression
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 185
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Notts Cty

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.