Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Notts Cty
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Match Thread Notts Cty

This thread currently has 19,426 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
August 12, 2023, 5:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Chrisblor
Vernam's been appalling since returning. Shown absolutely nothing in preseason or the first three competitive matches yet seems to be a nailed on starter. Needs dropping and a boot up the bottom because he's just coasting through matches right now.

Unfortunately i agree and Eisa is exactly the same. To be fair to gnourah he lacks a pre season but hasn't looked any different to those two when coming on.

People moaning about clifton but he at least tries to make things happen, doesn't always come off but he impacts games - scored one and a beauty of a cross that rose so nearly buried. Of the 3 behind rose he is the only one of any use at the moment.

Embarrassing that all the money has been spent and we're reduced to sticking waterfall up front and lumping it up to him. We never did that when we had less money in NL or last season - we've definitely dropped a clanger with the lack of a target man.

Perhaps it's vernam and eisa not getting to grips with this system of 3 behind 1 striker and a different formation would see them improve. I can never recall a Hurst side making 1 up front working consistently we always end up leaving him isolated and so far looks no different.

I think we're pretty solid at the back and we won't play teams as good going forward as county every week but we have to offer more in the final third if we are to hope to challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 185
acko338
August 12, 2023, 5:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
I am amazed how much that Glennon has dropped in form.

Teams must line up their quickest player on their right flank to get an easy game !!

Conteh is showing others how to play in most instances - look for a player and make a simple pass to him.

Not rocket science, but we seem to make it so hard with a lack of showing for passes and bad slow passing that allows challenges.

First 15 to 20 minutes were good, but Town just seemed to drop off and allow County to step up and take control.

Last thought - is Amos injured or just out of favour?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 185
Yarborough Vaults
August 12, 2023, 5:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Can I just throw in among the silliness that Rogers had a great game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 185
Yarborough Vaults
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Can I just throw in among the silliness that Rogers had a great game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 185
Yoda
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
Vernham had three good games last spell
I have no idea why we signed him on a three year deal he will be injured for 2 of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 185
lew chaterleys lover
August 12, 2023, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Blundellite
Going to be a long season. I never got why everyone was so optimistic based on what?

I think it was because this data malarkey thought some of the players brought in were worth 3 year deals, and we paid money for some, and to be fair some on paper at least looked good signings.

I get your point though, people were way too optimistic before they had seen the players in action.

I think they are technically good players but I think it is more with their preparation; what system and style of play are we trying to cultivate?
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 185
HerveJosse
August 12, 2023, 5:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
My thoughts so far
One thing of note is that of of the few of last years team who have started Glennon and Hunt have been shocking and Clifton is well below the level we have been used to
Of the new players so far I only see much in Conteh and Rogers . Rose may be an ok the rest don’t seem to be an upgrade.
The new team also shows signs of lacking the resilience that got us through adversity where ability was lacking in the old team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 185
August 12, 2023, 6:24pm
Guest User
Can’t comment on today, but I thought Vernhams was pretty good against Wimbledon. Main stand clapped him off, and there’s no harsher critic.
Reply: 157 - 185
Heisenberg
August 12, 2023, 7:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 140381
Can’t comment on today, but I thought Vernhams was pretty good against Wimbledon. Main stand clapped him off, and there’s no harsher critic.

I’m the same - didn’t go today but thought he did alright last Saturday, and caused the opposition issues, although with hindsight we do need him to do a bit more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 185
Stranger in the Park
August 12, 2023, 11:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -187
Gold Stars: 7
"I am amazed how much that Glennon has dropped in form.

Teams must line up their quickest player on their right flank to get an easy game !! "

The problem on the left flank is pretty obvious imo - Glennon is a frustrated winger with Vernam on the same side and both of them are suffering due to confusion over their roles which is leaving that side of the pitch wide open to be plundered as witnessed today. As for the left back position (without wingback duties) Amos is far better suited and should he be played that would then let everyone see just how good Vernam can be (hopefully). I firmly believe that Amos is a more accurate passer of the ball compared to Glennon who has a tendency to spray hopeful balls around indiscriminately. Not so long ago we were getting regular headed goals from our defenders due to accurate passes from the left wing but this feature seems to have disappeared from our armoury.  Time to look back at the basics 'cos the new boys are not the magicians that most fans hoped for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 185
19 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Notts Cty

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.