Poojah
August 3, 2023, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Interesting the takes of Doigy because every time i've spoken with him, he's been pretty approachable and up for a conversation. I think him and Hursty are the perfect duo, chalk and cheese.

Haven’t met him personally, but considering Hurst signed him here as a player, appointed him as assistant then took him with him to Shrewsbury, Ipswich, Scunny and then back here would suggest he’s adding some value somewhere down the line.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Maringer
August 3, 2023, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185
Not being Rob Scott must be a bonus in itself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
Posh Harry
August 3, 2023, 5:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Interesting the takes of Doigy because every time i've spoken with him, he's been pretty approachable and up for a conversation. I think him and Hursty are the perfect duo, chalk and cheese.

Good cop bad cop. Hursty puts his arms round them and encourages them, if that doesn’t work doigy gets in their face.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 3, 2023, 6:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
If this was Championship Manager, rather than real life, I’d pick a winter fixture that we’re guaranteed to lose (say Harrogate away on a wet Stray day) and send winter Hursty off to Dubai (or some other hot but shït winter sun destination) for the weekend for a bit of tannage.

A more practical option would be to strap SAD lamps to him.

A Hurst tan = 2ppg and promotion
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
TonySmith
August 3, 2023, 7:36pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
I agree with Posh Harry about the "Good cop bad cop" thing with Hurst and Doig. I also liken it to school teachers. It's great to have a teacher you can talk to and respect as a fair and decent person, but all schools are better off when they have a teacher that the kids are scared of too. I don't mean a bully, I mean someone who also commands respect, but has a certain way about them. I'm sure Hurst is very capable of stating hard truths too, but probably in a different manner. The two of them work as a team, and all the evidence points to it being a very effective one. Most of the players probably like one more than the other, but I bet they respect them both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2023, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
If this was Championship Manager, rather than real life, I’d pick a winter fixture that we’re guaranteed to lose (say Harrogate away on a wet Stray day) and send winter Hursty off to Dubai (or some other hot but shït winter sun destination) for the weekend for a bit of tannage.

A more practical option would be to strap SAD lamps to him.

A Hurst tan = 2ppg and promotion

So true.  If football was a summer sport we would be in the Premier league by now.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
Lord Gadiform
August 3, 2023, 8:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 5
Some time after El General and Doig left Ipswich there was a podcast with Kieron Dyer. He was U19 coach there (maybe U21 or U23 but I’m hazy on details, anyway very involved at the time). Ipswich fans forums were pointing blame at Doig for various dressing room fallings out. Dyer heavily suggested Hurst was a steely character and very much top dog. Cross him and your days are numbered type stuff. Was an intersting insight into the dynamic.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
forza ivano
August 3, 2023, 8:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Lord Gadiform
Some time after El General and Doig left Ipswich there was a podcast with Kieron Dyer. He was U19 coach there (maybe U21 or U23 but I’m hazy on details, anyway very involved at the time). Ipswich fans forums were pointing blame at Doig for various dressing room fallings out. Dyer heavily suggested Hurst was a steely character and very much top dog. Cross him and your days are numbered type stuff. Was an intersting insight into the dynamic.

can anyone find a link? Might make for interesting listening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Davec
August 3, 2023, 8:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I heard from an Ipswich supporting mate at the time that Hurst was well liked by the players at Ipswich but Doig was seen as a bully and wasn't liked.

Also I do remember that a poster last season at one stage posted on this forum that apparently Doig is only here as It's convenient for him.

But in my albeit limited encounters with Doig he's always come across well, a different personality to Hurst, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
sam gy
August 3, 2023, 10:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Convenient for him how? He lives in West Midlands.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.