5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
ivanosandwich
August 3, 2023, 8:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
Apart from Town, the only other club I will be rooting for this season is Rotherham.

Of all the clubs that may come calling, I think they may be the only club that Hurst would leave for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Rick12
August 3, 2023, 8:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Thing is with football it's all about the fans. There the ones that invest in it . No fans no club. I think Hurst from this point of view is limited to what he can achieve with Grimsby long term. Reality is there never going to be a premiership side unless a rich investor comes in. Likewise I know when I was at school clubs like Grimsby were frowned upon if you supported them and often mocking came with the territory eg in London " Grimsby are s***"."As a kid a fair few are sucked in by media as well eg the likes of Man United and Manchester City get the coverage which does shape support amongst some of the younger fans.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
Mappers
August 3, 2023, 8:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Rick12
Thing is with football it's all about the fans. There the ones that invest in it . No fans no club. I think Hurst from this point of view is limited to what he can achieve with Grimsby long term. Reality is there never going to be a premiership side unless a rich investor comes in. Likewise I know when I was at school clubs like Grimsby were frowned upon if you supported them and often mocking came with the territory eg in London " Grimsby are s***"."As a kid a lot are sucked in by media as well eg the likes of Man United and Manchester City get the coverage which does shape support amongst some of the younger fans.

You can flip it round though - look what happened at Ipswich for  Hurst It was a disaster .

I'm in no doubt he would want to give it a crack higher up at some point , but he seems happy with a relatively stable job , good backing and full control - I  think they are things he probably values equally to ££££ and it would have to be right fit for him to leave .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
Rick12
August 3, 2023, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mappers

You can flip it round though - look what happened at Ipswich for  Hurst It was a disaster .

I'm in no doubt he would want to give it a crack higher up at some point , but he seems happy with a relatively stable job , good backing and full control - I  think they are things he probably values equally to ££££ and it would have to be right fit for him to leave .
Have to admit though Mappers it's nice to see Hurst by all accounts in a much happier place now new owners are in charge. I don't want to completely knock Fenty as I think he was a fan at heart but could of done things better it seems from reading around .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
Hagrid
August 3, 2023, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Always been a staunch supporter of Paul, through his first spell here and throughout this one.

Always found him an approachable decent bloke, but agree with Muddy Waters on Doig who comes across as a bit of a helmet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
aldi_01
August 3, 2023, 9:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Hagrid
Always been a staunch supporter of Paul, through his first spell here and throughout this one.

Always found him an approachable decent bloke, but agree with Muddy Waters on Doig who comes across as a bit of a helmet

Hursts time at Ipswich is regarded a disaster but a club that didn’t know what it wanted to be, a fan base that believe they’re some massive club that should be in the premier league and an objective to get rid of anyone on high wages was setting Hurst up to fail from a footballing perspective, and I believe Doig and his attitude didn’t help.

May be, with experience and embarking on his UEFA A journey, Doig will develop…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
Southwark Mariner
August 3, 2023, 9:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from aldi_01

May be, with experience and embarking on his UEFA A journey, Doig will develop…

UEFA Pro licence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
mariner chopper
August 3, 2023, 9:57am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ivanosandwich
Apart from Town, the only other club I will be rooting for this season is Rotherham.

Of all the clubs that may come calling, I think they may be the only club that Hurst would leave for.

This or Sheff Wednesday (believe he's a fan?)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
toontown
August 3, 2023, 10:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from DB
I thought it was a great interview, showing, to an extent, a new Paul Hurst. Totally relaxed and doesn't have to worry about what he says and knows his job is secure.

His honesty shone through and regardless of what manager's jobs come up, I cannot see any way that Hurst would leave. He is in a very happy place right now where makes all football decisions without interference from the owners.

We are a club going places and regardless of him playing it down, as he always does, I believe it's League for us come the final game in May.

If you cannot see any way Hurst would leave then you've not been in football long - and I know that's not the case! Never say never in football...

Anyway, think although he's very happy and a job at this level wouldn't tempt him away, but any job at a higher level would be judged on its merits, that's just the way it is. The exceptions might be Rotherham and Sheff Wed were I think he'd feel he had to go for it regardless because of the emotional connection.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
LocalLadGTFC
August 3, 2023, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,223
Gold Stars: 137
Interesting the takes of Doigy because every time i've spoken with him, he's been pretty approachable and up for a conversation. I think him and Hursty are the perfect duo, chalk and cheese.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.