Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Project Wrexham over already?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 136 Guests

Project Wrexham over already?

This thread currently has 8,252 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
June 27, 2023, 12:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
The only thing I’ll envy about Wrexham will be a 5k capacity home end, which apparently is getting a lot of public money.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
promotion plaice
July 20, 2023, 10:57am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I see the mighty Wrexham lost 5-0 to Chelsea in their pre-season friendly in the US.

Makes our 7-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge not look too bad.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
ska face
July 20, 2023, 11:10am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I’d sooner lose 5-0 in a friendly than 7-1 when it mattered…

Think I’d rather lose 5-0 than 7-1 regardless of the circumstances actually.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
diehardmariner
July 20, 2023, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I'd have taken 7-1 if it meant we went there and actually tried to play rather than that ridiculous man-to-man plan Jolley came up with, which I reckon on reflection was the only tactic he knew.

I remember getting excited seeing this video when he was first appointed, I thought it showed someone with a lot of tactical maturity and hoped that would transfer into League Two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUq0-FtNMs&ab_channel=TheCoaches%27Voice
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
marinerjase
July 20, 2023, 11:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
What odds Giggs end up managing them sometime now he’s got the alll clear, I mean paid off someone..

Never ones to miss a marketing opportunity..Reynolds et al..I wouldn’t be surprised at all..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
Poojah
July 20, 2023, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,537
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from promotion plaice

I see the mighty Wrexham lost 5-0 to Chelsea in their pre-season friendly in the US.

Makes our 7-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge not look too bad.

It's certainly an interesting pre-season campaign Wrexham are having. It's easy to swipe at the whole Wrexham thing, but take a step back and it's hard not to admit that, after so many years in the non-league doldrums, the prospect of playing friendly matches against the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and LA Galaxy in the likes of North Carolina, San Diego and Los Angeles must be pretty exciting for their fan base. For those fans with sufficient cash in their back pocket, therein lies the potential for one hell of a summer road trip. Would I fancy doing that with Town? You bet I would.

From a practical point of view though, I think you can certainly question how optimal a pre-season schedule it really. There's no doubting the commercial benefits for them, but playing virtually all of your pre-season games against vastly superior opposition, in searing heat, away from the players' families (having been flown out in economy by the club's main sponsor, no less), feels like a serious de-prioritisation of what players at this level actually need ahead of a long, mostly cold and arduous season.

As it stands, Wrexham have only signed one new player, albeit a decent one in Ben Tozer's old mate Will Boyle from Huddersfield. Whilst there's no denying that, in points terms at the very least, Wrexham are the best side to ever be promoted from non-league football, the step-up shouldn't be underestimated. This is going to be a very strong League Two, and the likes of Stockport, Bradford, Salford, MK Dons and, dare I say it, Grimsby, are going to be very different prospects to anything they faced in the National League last season. There's plenty of others, too.

Personally, I don't mind what Wrexham are doing. I think it's an interesting initiative bringing hope to a somewhat forlorn football club and community, and I think most Town fans can empathise with what Wrexham have been through over the course of the last 20 years. Yes, they are over-exposed in the media, but that's just the media doing what they do, and why wouldn't you look to take advantage of that in their position? The model they have developed is self-sustainable, at least in the short-to-medium term, and they're what most would consider a "proper" club, unlike the likes of Salford and MK Dons.

However, I do look at the business they've done so far and their pre-season preparation and wonder if they're taking things a little bit lightly. I reserve the right to wear egg on my face, but I have an inkling that they might just be in for a bit of a rude awakening...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
wuffing
July 20, 2023, 11:30am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
We must not forget the mostly genuine Wrexham supporters, some whom donated to the enabling fund for our play-off final, an amazing gesture given that we tonked them along the way to it. They are very much like us....suffering years of non league obscurity and saving their club from oblivion from their own pockets. They deserve their moments in the sun, just like we do!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
Rodley Mariner
July 20, 2023, 11:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I wonder if the 'project' interferes with the football at all? Viewers have obviously engaged with it but if they'd ruthlessly replaced half the cast squad following promotion would that negatively impact those casual supporters?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Poojah
July 20, 2023, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,537
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I wonder if the 'project' interferes with the football at all? Viewers have obviously engaged with it but if they'd ruthlessly replaced half the cast squad following promotion would that negatively impact those casual supporters?

It never did Harchester United's ratings or on-pitch fortunes much harm, and they would routinely lose a good portion of their playing staff to the grim reaper each summer. Even Karl Fletcher did for it in the end, though at least Wayne Burnett did at least manage to make it through unscathed, thankfully.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Abdul19
July 20, 2023, 11:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
I still have nightmares over Fletch and that peg.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Project Wrexham over already?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.