5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
June 20, 2023, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
With Vernam confirmed what does that leave us needing (assuming no exits)?

Keeper X2
RB
CB
CM
Big Beast up top

Perhaps with 2 of those as loans?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
lukeo
June 20, 2023, 6:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
With the players we have in midfield and going forward I am not fused if we don't get a target man in. Very excited for this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
Poojah
June 20, 2023, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,501
We’re not far away now with the obvious exception of the goalkeeping department.

We’re pretty well stocked in quick-ish, technically decent front men - I’d be surprised if we saw any further editions in that mould (other than perhaps a young loanee). Still not much by way of height and physicality though; I still think we need two capable of offering us some more attacking presence.

The midfield was never far away; probably just the one addition to come there, maybe two.

A right back and a centre-half required to compete the defensive unit, assuming Glennon doesn’t leave. Bennett would of course be a fantastic addition if a sensible deal can be done.

All-in-all, we look pretty well set before the fixtures have even been released. We look as prepared as I can remember at this stage of a summer window, and I’m pretty pleased with the general quality level. Only Wilson arrives with any obvious question marks, and I’m prepared to trust Hurst on that one.

Excellent stuff!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
GyMariner
June 20, 2023, 6:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
One of the best attacking displays I witnessed last season was when we had Khan and Kiernan either side of Taylor with Hunt/Clifton supplying them from midfield vs Stockport Away. I think our form started to dip as we lost those wide attacking options through injury and had to revert to 5 at the back with wingbacks.

It seems as if PH is trying to re-create that style of play. We now have Danny Rose as our focal point with a selection of Khan, Vernam, Eisa, Wilson, Clifton for those attacking wide positions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
jamesgtfc
June 20, 2023, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
I don't think we are far off. I would like to see a big, dominant CM through the door and a high quality CB (Bennett would be great), a GK and a young understudy. After that, it depends how we intend to play but another striker is probably required before the window shuts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
gtfc_chris
June 20, 2023, 7:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Looking at the group; Rose, Vernam, Khan, Eisa, Wilson, Orsi, we have quite a lot of rotation in the forward four positions if we assume two wingers, forward and a number 10.

Khan may not really be seen as a forward, with Orsi less likely to fall anywhere other than number 9, but between the other 4, they can probably occupy all 4 positions with relative comfort.

No doubt they all have their specific strengths which will ultimately put them into a more natural position within PHs thinking, but the fact they have some degree of interchangeability is nothing short of great work on the recruitment front.

Hopefully it will mean our over-reliance on one or two attacking players is over (subject to injuries) and the competition - on paper at least - is going to be very strong, there'll be no room for ay of these players to slack off and expect to play.

As for getting in a 'larger' target man type, I wouldn't rule it out but I think Orsi might make way for that to happen. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to see Harry Smith show up but I have a feeling if PH goes down this route it might be more of a loan, either a youngster or a gamble like that Kayode fella or whoever he is from Rotherham who has had a few injuries (so I understand).

Looking forward to the next week or two when PH is hopeful of having the bulk of the squad together and evidence so far is he and the club are being very true to their word and getting business done early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
ginnywings
June 20, 2023, 8:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
PH said himself that he may have to look at getting some taller players into the squad for those games when the opposition are all giants.

He hasn't done that yet, so either they are still to come, or there has been a change of emphasis. Unless of course he made those comments with his tongue firmly in his cheek.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Limerick Mariner
June 20, 2023, 9:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Looking at the group; Rose, Vernam, Khan, Eisa, Wilson, Orsi, we have quite a lot of rotation in the forward four positions if we assume two wingers, forward and a number 10.

Khan may not really be seen as a forward, with Orsi less likely to fall anywhere other than number 9, but between the other 4, they can probably occupy all 4 positions with relative comfort.

No doubt they all have their specific strengths which will ultimately put them into a more natural position within PHs thinking, but the fact they have some degree of interchangeability is nothing short of great work on the recruitment front.

Hopefully it will mean our over-reliance on one or two attacking players is over (subject to injuries) and the competition - on paper at least - is going to be very strong, there'll be no room for ay of these players to slack off and expect to play.

As for getting in a 'larger' target man type, I wouldn't rule it out but I think Orsi might make way for that to happen. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to see Harry Smith show up but I have a feeling if PH goes down this route it might be more of a loan, either a youngster or a gamble like that Kayode fella or whoever he is from Rotherham who has had a few injuries (so I understand).

Looking forward to the next week or two when PH is hopeful of having the bulk of the squad together and evidence so far is he and the club are being very true to their word and getting business done early.

Given the other options we now have a modest cost Harry Smith type might be all we need to offer the plan B. Orsi had a slow start with us - injury then struggling to break into the team, but PH said he was the best finisher we had, he’s now coming into his prime at 27, he’ll have had a full close season of conditioning with us, he may play a more significant role and could be that finisher we’ve needed with the options we’ve now got alongside.

Remember our last promotion from this level -  big Keith provided our muscle - signed from Barnet where Smith finished the season on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
Mikey_345
June 20, 2023, 11:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Think as a minimum we still need.

2 x GK (One obviously is Cartwright so maybe someone with a fair bit of experience)
1 x RB
1 x CB
1 x CM
1 x big illegitimate up front (think that’s the correct technical name for it)

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
lukeo
June 21, 2023, 6:25am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Mikey_345
Think as a minimum we still need.

2 x GK (One obviously is Cartwright so maybe someone with a fair bit of experience)
1 x RB
1 x CB
1 x CM
1 x big illegitimate up front (think that’s the correct technical name for it)

I'd happily take 3 or 4 of those as season long loans with 1 or 2 permanent additions.
I genuinely believe we've built up the best squad, especially attacking wise, since I can remember, especially at this level of football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many more senior  players do we need

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.