5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
June 15, 2023, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
We got the pace now, we’ve got the clever link up play I’d still like to see a combative big beast to finish off the squad up top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
Maringer
June 15, 2023, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,553
Gold Stars: 185
I think having a big unit available to put on up front (even if it isn't 'Plan A') is certainly a helpful option, not least because some of the defences in this division are simply massive and the useless referees tend to let them shove smaller players around. Just remember how many times Lloyd was fouled with impunity or even penalised for standing up to fouls from big defenders last season. There will be certain games where the same occurs with Rose this coming season, assuming he's going to be playing a similar role.

Whatever the rights or wrongs, we have to take a view that some of the referees are going to be uselessly biased in favour of big defenders and only a big bloke to match will allow us to get near some parity in the decision-making.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
Son of Cod
June 15, 2023, 3:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Surely we'll be signing two keepers? Even if one is a younger backup option. Battersby has gone so we need two. Unless there's a youth keeper coming through that I don't know about?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
Stew0_0
June 15, 2023, 4:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,203
Gold Stars: 35
Need one more striker Think if we signed a Luke Armstrong sort, then the strikers would be done.
But for me we also need another winger, Creative/Goalscoring Centre Midfielder, Centre half and 2 x keepers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
lukeo
June 15, 2023, 4:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,375
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
I'm unsure how we'll be setting up next season but I do think a 3-man midfield is the most effective these days, hunt for distribution, clifton for some steel and drive and a defensive mid (who can pass accurately) to screen the defence.  I certainly reckon we'll get more value out of Hunt next season with the more lively wing/forwards we're bringing in.

We'll only have 1 keeper next year, I think another CB will come for sure, hopefully another RB/RWB, a defensive CM, a bruiser CF and another wing/forward please.

Be interesting to see what loans we do get in after JS mentioned prem teams asking us what positions we needed filling.....

Total stab in the dark and we still have a few signings to come in but if this was our squad right now I'd have a guess at 433 / 4231
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
barrattstandman
June 15, 2023, 6:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +481
Gold Stars: 17
As many as PH wants . It's up to him , not us to tell him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
Mappers
June 15, 2023, 11:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
I wonder how big a part Waterfall & Holahan will play next season ?

You would think Hurst will want to have the quality so that they are fringe players rather than consistent starters .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
grimsby pete
June 16, 2023, 6:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
We need a keeper and a back up for him.

There must be a few good young ones being released from clubs higher up.

So he might jump at the chance of coming here as a back up.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
jamesgtfc
June 16, 2023, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,971
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from grimsby pete
We need a keeper and a back up for him.

There must be a few good young ones being released from clubs higher up.

So he might jump at the chance of coming here as a back up.

A legitimate backup won't come in, we will run with a Fake No2, somebody with less than 5 league games under their belt to support the No1 in training, warm ups and to play if a keeper drops out of the warm up. Even with 7 subs, Hurst rarely goes with a keeper on the bench and running with a Fake No2 means we can get an emergency loan in at any point if our No1 is injured, suspended or called up for international duty.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
Roast Em Bobby
June 17, 2023, 11:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Mappers
I wonder how big a part Waterfall & Holahan will play next season ?

You would think Hurst will want to have the quality so that they are fringe players rather than consistent starters .

I wouldn't write either of them off, I still think people are over-hyping the role hunt will play - I'd wager Holohan will have a greater impact
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many more senior  players do we need

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.