ginnywings
June 15, 2023, 10:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

I think loan players will inevitably be a part of the mix, and possibly even in addition to the core of 5 or 6 that are required as a minimum. Whoever they are though need to be making more of an impact than the youngsters who came here last season.

Between them Pepple, Simmonds, O’Neill and Dickson-Peters barely troubled the Richter scale in terms of impact. Lewis Richardson is probably the exception, but even then he ran hot and cold at times.

Need to do better on that front.

Agreed, but some of last season's loans were out of necessity and a tad of desperation. They didn't have much competition and got more time than they would have in a normal season.

We are better prepared now and already stronger than we were, plus our stock is higher than last season, so I reckon the quality of any loans will be up a notch or three.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Poojah
June 15, 2023, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed, but some of last season's loans were out of necessity and a tad of desperation. They didn't have much competition and got more time than they would have in a normal season.

We are better prepared now and already stronger than we were, plus our stock is higher than last season, so I reckon the quality of any loans will be up a notch or three.

And I think that’s the key. We look to be a lot more bullish this window than we have in recent ones, and that gives me greater confidence not only in what’s to come but also in the business we’ve already done.

For instance, the cynic that lives inside every Town fan could point to Donovan Wilson as being a slightly underwhelming, non-scoring frontman. But the fact that his signing has come early in the window and not at 5 to midnight on the 31st August gives me great confidence that it he is part of a well thought out plan and not a last gasp move of desperation, as perhaps the likes of Simmonds and Dickson-Peters were previously.

I’d be happy to have a really boring end to the transfer window if it means we’ve got everything done well in advance due to good preparation, sound planning, and most importantly assertive execution.

That certainly looks to be the approach we’re taking.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
jimgtfc
June 15, 2023, 11:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Danny Rose plays as a sort of target man, just more into his feet with some clever link up play. Think a smaller but younger Ryan Taylor, but with a few extra strings to his bow. Top signing in my opinion.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
blundellpork
June 15, 2023, 11:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
I would rather we didn’t sign a ‘target man’ as that suggests a direct style of play, and at times we were dreadful last season.

That said, we do need robust frontmen such as Bogle or Ollie Palmer (not suggesting either of them, just their build and ability to score).

GK x 2
RB
CB
CM
Winger
Striker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
Poojah
June 15, 2023, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from jimgtfc
Danny Rose plays as a sort of target man, just more into his feet with some clever link up play. Think a smaller but younger Ryan Taylor, but with a few extra strings to his bow. Top signing in my opinion.

Yeah, and George Lloyd played in similar fashion the back end of last season. Still, if you could give me someone with the height of Kyle Hudlin, the strength of LJL, the cute interplay of Ryan Taylor and the finishing finesse of Podge Amond or Alan Connell, I’d probably spaff all over the Fishy to such an extent it could take Rob months to get the server operational again*.

* the pace of Michael Reddy would be a bonus, but I didn’t want to sound greedy.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
Rodley Mariner
June 15, 2023, 11:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from ginnywings

It was mentioned last week (maybe in JS's Guardian article) that in terms of data they were also looking at how successful squads have been made up in previous L2 seasons - number of players, average age etc. I suspect within that they'll have looked at numbers and types of loans and that will then inform whether we have many loanees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
lukeo
June 15, 2023, 12:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I already like the shape of our squad. If they stay fit imagine Cliftons energy and Hunts range of passing to the front 3 of the new lads (if we played 3 up) 2 pacey wingers and a clever central striker.

For me if we can get 3 more good quality players through the door (100% a goalkeeper) and maybe 2 or 3 half decent or up and coming players then for me it's a good set up for the coming season. I will add though looking at the transfer activity, is this going to be the toughest league 2 ever?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
TheultimateMariner
June 15, 2023, 12:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from lukeo
I already like the shape of our squad. If they stay fit imagine Cliftons energy and Hunts range of passing to the front 3 of the new lads (if we played 3 up) 2 pacey wingers and a clever central striker.

For me if we can get 3 more good quality players through the door (100% a goalkeeper) and maybe 2 or 3 half decent or up and coming players then for me it's a good set up for the coming season. I will add though looking at the transfer activity, is this going to be the toughest league 2 ever?

I think you’re definitely right about being one of the tougher league two’s. At least in terms of gunning for promotion, I imagine there will be a big divide between the top 9-10 teams and the rest of the league

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
DB
June 15, 2023, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I'm quite happy with those we have signed and it seems Hurst has a definite plan of what he wants to do and who he wants. The players who come in will now see Town as an up and coming club wanting to go places, especially having had last year's cup run. Added to this I believe is Hurst's stock in the game so players are wanting to play for him and a future, hopefully, in League 1 next season.

Whist the keeper is of some concern I think Hurst gave Max a take it or leave offer and Max choose the latter. Hurst seems to have signed good keepers in the past so I don't think there is any need for concern there.

We have definitely been lightweight up front so let's see who else he brings in in that department.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
OddShapedBalls
June 15, 2023, 1:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
I'm unsure how we'll be setting up next season but I do think a 3-man midfield is the most effective these days, hunt for distribution, clifton for some steel and drive and a defensive mid (who can pass accurately) to screen the defence.  I certainly reckon we'll get more value out of Hunt next season with the more lively wing/forwards we're bringing in.

We'll only have 1 keeper next year, I think another CB will come for sure, hopefully another RB/RWB, a defensive CM, a bruiser CF and another wing/forward please.

Be interesting to see what loans we do get in after JS mentioned prem teams asking us what positions we needed filling.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many more senior  players do we need

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.