Mikey_345
June 15, 2023, 9:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from monkeyboy
how aren't we all dead yet?  didn't the remainers paint it out to be crashing out of europe, going of a cliff edge. mass starvation.

Surely all life would have ended when we supposedly voted out?

Europe's doing worse than us at present.

You're right... it's going perfectly. 'Remoaners' just need to believe abit more, that'll sort it...

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 112
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 15, 2023, 10:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Maringer

Interesting fantasies you have, especially the one about Europe doing worse than us! Inflation is already higher in the UK than the rest of Europe, in part due to Brexit, and it's only going to get worse when we finally start implementing the import checks which we keep postponing:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/eu-food-producers-not-ready-for-uk-import-checks?s=09

Brexit isn't nearly finished with us yet.

But...but...but...The Daily Mail says it's worse in the Stalinist state of Europe..

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 112
gtfc98
June 16, 2023, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from monkeyboy
how aren't we all dead yet?  didn't the remainers paint it out to be crashing out of europe, going of a cliff edge. mass starvation.

Surely all life would have ended when we supposedly voted out?

Europe's doing worse than us at present.

So dense that light bends around you.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 112
pen penfras
June 16, 2023, 11:43am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog
It's a shame and scary to see the old battlegrounds still being debated. Are we not learning anything yet? It's not red versus blue, it's not in or out the EU, the EU is hardly a beacon of democracy nowadays. It's not a Labour government or a Tory government. They're all in the pockets and at the behest of huge finance and huge corporations. Just look at the company the politicians on all sides keep. It's us, the little people versus them, but we're still so filled with the constant propaganda that keeps us split and disjointed. We've all become weak, lazy, uneducated and vulnerable. Anyone still think that Starmer or rejoining the EU is going to change anything? You're joking right? Even if this is the worst government in my living memory, nothing will change, they've all got the same agenda....

I wouldn't worry too much about foreign players either. Very few have been a success here. And anyway.. I thought we were all for developing homegrown talent.. not enough English players in the Premier League etc etc etc

100%. It is the banks and capitalism that run the show. We are the problem in allowing it to happen, and people will just continue to spend every penny they have and more because that's what we're encouraged to do to keep the fallacy that is democracy going. We pay billions and lose out when the banks get it wrong. We pay billions into the bankers pockets when they get it right. No consequences for them and they just get richer and greedier.

People's attitude is a massive part of the problem. And the complexity of the financial system makes it so hard for normal people to understand what is going on, along with apathy, that I can't see how we possibly fix the system.

I'm not anti capitalism, I'm anti the banks having all the power. Governments should have the power to create and control money, but they don't, the banks do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 112
Maringer
June 16, 2023, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from pen penfras

100%. It is the banks and capitalism that run the show. We are the problem in allowing it to happen, and people will just continue to spend every penny they have and more because that's what we're encouraged to do to keep the fallacy that is democracy going. We pay billions and lose out when the banks get it wrong. We pay billions into the bankers pockets when they get it right. No consequences for them and they just get richer and greedier.

People's attitude is a massive part of the problem. And the complexity of the financial system makes it so hard for normal people to understand what is going on, along with apathy, that I can't see how we possibly fix the system.

I'm not anti capitalism, I'm anti the banks having all the power. Governments should have the power to create and control money, but they don't, the banks do.

You're not wrong in some respects, in that the banks are allowed to do pretty much what they please with no moral hazard. They crashed the world economy in 2008, weren't punished or penalised for it and much of the QE required to bolster the economy ended up in their pockets regardless.

However, you're incorrect about the creation and control of money. The Government authorises the banks to create money - they can't do it without government consent, so it is entirely within the gift of government to remove this facility or at least threaten to do so to rein them in.

Why are the bankers allowed to get away with their misdeeds with the government (and therefore the populace) picking up the tab? Ask current PM and former Chancellor, Rishi Sunak (ex-Goldman Sachs), or perhaps all the Tory MPs with links to the hedge funds or who have accepted hefty donations from the financial sector (a smaller number of Labour MPs also have similar links and donations, but to a much lesser degree). Heck, Sajid Javid (ex-Deutsche Bank) was even one of those cluelessly trading the excrement leveraged bonds which caused the global financial crisis back in 2008 and it didn't stop him taking on one of the major roles in Government.

The other problem at present is that the Tories are so far into the belief that Banks Know Best, that we've ended up with Andrew Bailey as head of the Bank of England and he's absolutely bloody clueless. Unfortunately, the same goes for Shadow Chancellor, Rachel Reeves, a former BoE employee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 112
nickmariners
June 16, 2023, 12:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from ginnywings
Sport and politics are intertwined, just like every other facet of society, so like it or not, there is no longer free movement between Europe and the UK, which has an impact on the free movement of footballers and anyone else looking to ply their trade over here.

There is also the impact of fans who now have a choice between paying bills or spending on leisure pursuits, including going to the footy.

I personally know of someone who can no longer afford to buy a season ticket because of increases in his outgoings.

Whether you voted leave or remain is irrelevant right now. The reality is that Brexit has affected every facet of life, and almost exclusively in a negative way.

Ginny, do you not think that those small matters of a pandemic and the invasion of Ukraine may not have impacted outgoing expenses for people in most countries?

Take a look at the current economic situation in France and Germany and see whether Britain is an outlier, or in fact slightly over-performing cf the current European economic mean.

Times is tough everywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 112
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 16, 2023, 1:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from nickmariners

Ginny, do you not think that those small matters of a pandemic and the invasion of Ukraine may not have impacted outgoing expenses for people in most countries?

Take a look at the current economic situation in France and Germany and see whether Britain is an outlier, or in fact slightly over-performing cf the current European economic mean.

Times is tough everywhere.

Please provide proof that Britain is outperforming France and Germany.

For proof of the exceptional state of the UK economy refer to today's BBC website article where the head of Tesco says there are signs of inflation reducing but the article states that food inflation in the UK is currently just over 19%.

I also don't know whether you voted for Brexit or not but comparing the UK to Germany and France is surely what Brexiters wanted us to stop doing. We have taken back control. We are in charge of our own destiny. We don't have to worry about what Europe does or doesn't do.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 112
Maringer
June 16, 2023, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from nickmariners

They've got lower inflation than the UK and have had higher growth since 2016. The UK is the only one of those three whose economy is smaller now than before the pandemic. I think I'd rather have their economic situation than our own. The EU as a whole has lower inflation than the UK, not just one or two countries. Food inflation much worse here than anywhere else in Western Europe, thanks to you know what and our reliance on imported food.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 112
OddShapedBalls
June 16, 2023, 2:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Maringer

They've got lower inflation than the UK and have had higher growth since 2016. The UK is the only one of those three whose economy is smaller now than before the pandemic. I think I'd rather have their economic situation than our own. The EU as a whole has lower inflation than the UK, not just one or two countries. Food inflation much worse here than anywhere else in Western Europe, thanks to you know what and our reliance on imported food.

what=  the supermarket/grain merchant cartel, with a slice of good old brexit on the side of the plate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 112
rancido
June 16, 2023, 4:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Maringer

Do you not think that the EU encouraged a reliance on imported food, especially seasonal food which benefited poorer economies within the EU such as Portugal, Spain , Greece and Italy?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Foreign players

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.