Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 175 Guests

Glennon potentially to depart?

This thread currently has 8,806 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
June 10, 2023, 9:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Glennon isn't Paul Dixon slow, but he's the slower of our two full-backs and Amos isn't a quick player. As I commented during the season, I don't recall any problems with pace during his loan spell a few years back, so I can only imagine injury of some sort has taken a toll since then as you don't usually get slower after your teens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 65
BackHeelTony
June 10, 2023, 9:55am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
If Glennon's pace is an issue, he definitely won't be going to a championship club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 65
grimsby pete
June 10, 2023, 10:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Glennon had covid early season and sometimes it takes months to get back to how you were before.

This season he hopefully will be feeling back to his best.

I hope it is with us if not we want as much money as we can get seeing there are several clubs interested.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 65
pen penfras
June 10, 2023, 10:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Maringer
Glennon isn't Paul Dixon slow, but he's the slower of our two full-backs and Amos isn't a quick player. As I commented during the season, I don't recall any problems with pace during his loan spell a few years back, so I can only imagine injury of some sort has taken a toll since then as you don't usually get slower after your teens.

When he was on loan, we played quite good football and the games that I saw, we were controlling them. That meant he wasn't getting exposed and it also coincided with Vernam's purple patch which would have pinned fullbacks away from overloading down there.

I don't recall him looking slow, but he wasn't getting exposed the same way as this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 65
jimgtfc
June 10, 2023, 10:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
This speculation makes me wonder what the clubs plan is now for talented young players heading into the last year of their contracts. I’d like us to always be in a position where our best assets are exactly that and they’re not allowed to dwindle down their contracts as has happened in the past. A part of a real successful business model at this level is bringing in young players, developing them and moving them on for profit. I’m hoping we’re now proactive, and looking at offering new, improved terms to the likes of Glennon, Clifton and Khouri now rather than at the end of the season.

Alternatively, this type of speculation can actually come from the selling club, if they know that player has no intention of staying beyond their current deal, they’d rather cash in. Peterborough have been masters of this for decades now.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 65
pontoonlew
June 10, 2023, 10:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,025
Gold Stars: 174
I think Glennon is class but I would be surprised to see him in the Championship. The biggest difference the higher up the divisions you go for me is the physical attributes of players, they’re all so bloody quick & strong at that level, he’d get eaten alive by some of them.

He’s worth a lot to us though and he’s a very good L2 defender.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 65
Stew0_0
June 10, 2023, 11:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
If Glennon does go could Evan Khouri be the answer. Hollow head played him at left back when he was in my opinion too young. Evan's now matured, is sharp in the tackle and is relatively quick. With a bit of positional sense training could be the answer, especially as will be competing with 5 or 6 players for 1 of 2 or 3 spots in centre midfield if he stays central and / or doesn't get loaned out for game time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 65
HertsGTFC
June 10, 2023, 11:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Stew0_0
If Glennon does go could Evan Khouri be the answer. Hollow head played him at left back when he was in my opinion too young. Evan's now matured, is sharp in the tackle and is relatively quick. With a bit of positional sense training could be the answer, especially as will be competing with 5 or 6 players for 1 of 2 or 3 spots in centre midfield if he stays central and / or doesn't get loaned out for game time?

He’s a midfielder? Keep it simple.

If we need one just bring in a left back, we are no longer in a position to have to play square pegs.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 65
Abdul19
June 10, 2023, 12:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,562
Gold Stars: 216
Think it was PH who played Khouri at LB once he'd realised Habergham and Bunney were knackered/shit.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 65
June 10, 2023, 12:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC
He’s a midfielder? Keep it simple.

If we need one just bring in a left back, we are no longer in a position to have to play square pegs.

Whilst I agree that playing footballers out of position tends not to work out, in the case of Evan Khouri I'm not sure he's had
enough game time for anyone to be sure what his best position is in a L2 side.

Midfield is a tough ask for a young player - it took Harry more than a season to establish himself - and I'm hoping that PH
is looking to sign a quality midfielder for next season. That would add to the midfield competition that EK already faces.

Abdul has pointed out that Hurst has played EK at left-back (perhaps reluctantly), and El General certainly knows what
the position demands. So I wouldn't be inclined to dismiss this idea out of hand.

(But everything changes if Glennon doesn't depart or Harry does.)

Reply: 59 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.