Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 230 Guests

Glennon potentially to depart?

This thread currently has 8,810 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 9, 2023, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from diehardmariner
I like the lad and I think he underperformed last season (which I believe was down to him carrying an injury).

But he definitely didn't show enough athletic ability to be at a Championship club with an eye on the top 6.

Yes he did. I think he could become one of the best left backs of all time and somewhere around £2.5m would be an absolute bargain

(Just incase anyone from Lancashire or south wales is reading!)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 65
GtfcGarner
June 9, 2023, 6:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
I like the lad and his attacking game is alot better than his defending game. Think he will have a standout season this year if he stays. However can't stand in the way of denying him the Championship if it comes beckoning. I think we could demand a 100-125k fee for him maybe a little more. Look at Danny Rose, I bet we paid around 30-50k for him with a year left on his deal and the money for Championship clubs is peanuts considering Swansea could potentially sell the likes of Piroe for 10m.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 65
diehardmariner
June 9, 2023, 6:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pen penfras

Yes, but if you keep a player from an opportunity like that by holding out for 5 times what he's worth, being generous, then he's hardly likely to be happy and perform to his best.

Surprising if it's true. He has good delivery but the rest of his game looks some way short of Championship quality

Also a year left on his deal.  12-months time he's 24 and we get nothing at all for him.  

Left-back is a position I trust Hurst to bring in quality, with or without a budget.  Discounting when he had to rifle in bargain bins of Mad Harry's, the most recent left-back signings at this club I can remember are:

Glennon
Amos
Crookes
Andrew
Robertson
Horwood
Townsend

I think there's an argument that maybe Horwood wasn't great, but he wasn't awful either.  Crookes was very solid and dependable, only really fell out of favour when we looked for a more attacking option.

Yes, I deliberately omitted Seb Revan.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 65
headingly_mariner
June 9, 2023, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GtfcGarner
I like the lad and his attacking game is alot better than his defending game. Think he will have a standout season this year if he stays. However can't stand in the way of denying him the Championship if it comes beckoning. I think we could demand a 100-125k fee for him maybe a little more. Look at Danny Rose, I bet we paid around 30-50k for him with a year left on his deal and the money for Championship clubs is peanuts considering Swansea could potentially sell the likes of Piroe for 10m.

He's great going forward and an excellent wing back. He actually really improved defensively throughout the cup run. Likeable lad, great attitude and great technically. It's nice to have players that people are interested in. I don't want to see him leave but if you're going to lose players for cash, full backs are fairly easy to replace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 65
jamesgtfc
June 9, 2023, 6:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190

Also a year left on his deal.  12-months time he's 24 and we get nothing at all for him.  

Left-back is a position I trust Hurst to bring in quality, with or without a budget.  Discounting when he had to rifle in bargain bins of Mad Harry's, the most recent left-back signings at this club I can remember are:

Glennon
Amos
Crookes
Andrew
Robertson
Horwood
Townsend

I think there's an argument that maybe Horwood wasn't great, but he wasn't awful either.  Crookes was very solid and dependable, only really fell out of favour when we looked for a more attacking option.

Yes, I deliberately omitted Seb Revan.

What about Jamal Fyfield? Was that a deliberate omission or a memory you had forgotten?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 65
diehardmariner
June 9, 2023, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
2014, falls outside the recent criteria.

I don't make the rules.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 65
diehardmariner
June 9, 2023, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
I wish I could forget him.

The excitement on here of the sighting of Dany N'Guessan was at an all time peak...Or was that Anthony Straker?  He definitely fits into the recent and deliberate omission category.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 65
louth_in_the_south
June 9, 2023, 7:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,689
Gold Stars: 96
£150k is nothing to a championship team that’s losing twice that a week so we should hold out for as much as possible if they want him but you can’t stand in his way .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 65
jamesgtfc
June 9, 2023, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
I wish I could forget him.

The excitement on here of the sighting of Dany N'Guessan was at an all time peak...Or was that Anthony Straker?  He definitely fits into the recent and deliberate omission category.

End the thread, my confidence in Hurst signing a decent left back is rapidly decreasing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 65
Limerick Mariner
June 9, 2023, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
IIRC he was one of our better performer at Brighton; maybe the cup brought him some attention higher up the pyramid. If anything I would say slightly underwhelmed with his last season as a whole. Mainly because I was delighted when we landed him and expected him to kick on a bit more than did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.