Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 96 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 5,796 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 25, 2023, 10:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The game had a distinct end of season feel to it, but we played some good stuff, scored two good goals, and could have had three or four with a bit more care.

Has to be said though that Crewe weren't the stiffest of opposition and we had plenty of time and space to play our game. They weaved some pretty patterns, had numerous corners, but only forced Max into one serious save of note, when they really should have pulled one back.

Thought Clifton looked more like his old self and Khouri did some really smart things and looks a prospect. Hunt played a great ball for the goal but gave a few glaring passes away, He does try difficult balls though, so not too many complaints from me.

Orsi had more time to and space tonight and he definitely has a quick footballing mind. He isn't the most mobile, but did 3 or 4 really clever things tonight and found the space to finish a fantastic cross from Harry.

Crewe were a bit powder puff, but you can only beat what is in front of you, and we did that relatively comfortably.
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
April 25, 2023, 10:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,400
Gold Stars: 149
Agree with the above from watching it on TV. Feel Orsi is more mobile than Taylor but not as mobile as someone like Lloyd.
Aslong as he's got support around him he'll be a good asset next season.
Really like Clifton, always have. Khouri looked very good and I like the fact Hunt isn't afraid to try the difficult passes (I'm sure Hursy encourages them).

Overall a good watch. Well done to those who went to BP tonight. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Heisenberg
April 25, 2023, 10:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Pleased with tonight. Hunt wasn’t perfect but showed the best part of his game and did well. The last 15 minutes our midfield was made up of Hunt, Khouri and Braithwaite - now that is young!

Both goals were excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
LH
April 25, 2023, 10:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,590
Gold Stars: 175
An end of season game between two teams with not a lot to play for but a decent enough game. The result gives us a great chance of a FL top half finish for the first time in a long long time. It was the first time I’ve had a good watch of him and Khouri looks very good. No bad games out there though but pretty limited opponents.

I hope we can go down to Stevenage and have a big say on the automatic places at the weekend and secure that high finish.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
MuddyWaters
April 25, 2023, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,286
Gold Stars: 236
McAtee and Morris won’t play again this season because of injuries- hamstring and quad respectively.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
moosey_club
April 25, 2023, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,300
Gold Stars: 226
Similar to the  Sutton away game, bright mobile midfield with 4 or 5 players on the pitch who are comfortable on the ball.
Hunts energy , movement and desire to receive the ball stood out , yes he gave up a few passes but his urgency and forward thinking makes such a difference to our tempo.
Khan looked way up for it .
Khouri was tenacious, intelligent and tricky.
Orsi deservedly got a goal that his work rate deserved , thought he may have got the hook just before he scored as he looked spent.

Very consistent 90 mins overall with just a short bit of pressure when they made their first subs.

One of the better home performances of the season.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
buckstown
April 25, 2023, 10:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 79
Decent game for a meaningless end of season job, Crewe helped by being relatively open
Khouri looks a good prospect and grew in confidence. I like hunt, despite giving it away occasionally he drives us forward and can make things happen. Crewe took over for 20 minutes in the second half and we looked vulnerable from corners from which they had three free headers
Pleased for Orsi who worked hard for his goal, and Khan looks really dangerous after his injury problems
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
forza ivano
April 25, 2023, 10:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
only my 2nd home game all season - don't know what you lot have been moaning about!
was an enjoyable game - can't add too much more to what's been said. Khan, Orsi, Clifton & Glennon all did well. Hunt made a goal but could've give them an equaliser with an awful pass. PH must pull his hair out watching him!
Khouri is growing in confidence, even through this 75-80 minutes you could see it. By the end he was doing back heels, little turns, cheeky bits of skill and having a couple of decent shots. The crowd were enthused by him, which is no bad thing. I think he's going to be worth watching next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
mariner tommy
April 25, 2023, 11:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
I think that was the best midfield three performance for a long time, they totally bossed it and between them put some great passes in, MOM for me was Khan, turned his man on at least three occasions, some lovely football and amazing energy.
But it was bloody 🥶!
UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Maringer
April 26, 2023, 12:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,667
Gold Stars: 189
Much like against Barrow, it was another pretty open game, very much unlike most of the games we've seen this season.

Decent or encouraging games from most of the players and we could certainly have had a couple more goals with better choices made. Khan played pretty well, but kept making the wrong choice in their box and so we wasted a few more opportunities for goals. Khouri showed some nice touches and got stuck in well at times as well. A little in and out of the game, but that's generally the case with midfielders and he's still very inexperienced in the middle. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him next season, though I'm not convinced he'll be a starter.

Hunt was very careless at times in the first half. Needlessly gave the ball away in dangerous positions a few times, but we got away with them. A nice pass for the first goal (though their defence was wide open) and he certainly settled down in the second half. When he gets it right, he moves the ball on a lot faster than our other players, but the errors came when he tried to rush it or overcomplicate. I'd still like to see him hit the gym over the summer and come back with a few more pounds of muscle on his upper body as I think that will help him more than he might realise.

I thought Clifton's forward running was really effective at stretching them and it was a peach of a cross for the second goal.

Orsi did pretty well again tonight - took his goal well and wriggled his way through nicely to have a blocked shot earlier in the game. Some clever touches at times. Did he also provide the assist for Holohan's opener? Orsi has the knack of not panicking when receiving possession in the box which could pay dividends if we can get him in a good partnership next season. He's done much better in League games over the past month following his cameos in the Cup and it's changed my mind about him. I didn't think he had anything to offer, but I think he could be useful, even if perhaps not a starter next season.

My concern tonight mostly came from Glennon, who battled against their quick and strong winger, but struggled due to lack of pace. I suppose he did just about enough, but I suspect he'll get a few chasings from the quicker wingers if he's our first choice next season. Smith struggled aerially tonight which was a surprise as he's normally pretty solid in that regard. However, they were more about movement than direct lumps upfield.

The big caveat with the pleasing performance tonight was that it was against another team who weren't as physically gigantic as many we face (though they still had more height and pace than us across the pitch), and we certainly found ourselves on the defensive as they brought on quicker and bigger players during the second half. Unfortunately, I think the team tonight would probably have struggled against many of the big bullying teams we so often face.

It's good to see some more entertaining games and some good results as the season draws to a close. Hope we can keep it going on the final day.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
gtfc_chris
April 26, 2023, 7:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Thought last night was a good game without actually being a good game. The result perhaps made the evening a good one and the performance was by no means poor but I also don't think it was exciting, we never had a spell where you got the sense a goal was imminent.

Both the goals scored were well crafted, the alertness of of both Hunt and Holohan was great to see and well finished from Gav.

I was pleased for Orsi to get another goal too. He wasn't really in the game much in terms of service in to him, what did come his way he did OK with and his defensive effort didn't go unnoticed. But a few have been asking for him to get his chance with a run in the team and he's backed that with another well taken goal from a quality Clifton cross.

Hunt had an awkward game for me. Like many, I can forgive certain passes going wrong because the higher the risk the higher the reward (in many cases), but there was also some basic ones gone wrong that didn't impress. Hunt is another I'm willing to do well because he is a ball player and when he's on form he's great to watch.

Khan had one of his best games for Town for me, really pleased with what he offered, Clifton his usual good self and no real poor performers across the board. If I had to make a criticism it would be that despite Emmanuel being 20ft tall his heading seems very suspect. Think that's the definition of scraping the barrel.

Special mention and my MoM was Khouri. Haven't quite bought into the hype about him previously, not that I think he's been poor but he has played like a youngster and made many basic errors in games that have made me reserve a little on him. Last night I thought he gave a performance more fitting of a senior pro and by the second half you could see how much his confidence had grown just within the game. If he can maintain and build on that performance then I absolutely see him having a good career, hopefully with us for the foreseeable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
GtfcGarner
April 26, 2023, 8:56am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Think that Khouri is growing into that role and being more trusted by PH week by week. Great man-management to ease him in the way he has and not just thrown him in the games where it might of just knocked young Khouri's confidence if he didn't step up. PH obviously seen something in him to keep him on, I believe it was Woodsy that spotted him when released from West Ham may be wrong?

I'd love us to have a production line of youngsters breaking through to the first team and representing us like Harry has. Obviously not everyone can stay but it makes you happy seeing one of your own out there like young Braithwaite last night, really made up for the lad and it's a moment he will never forget.

Crewe had a great business model with it years back with Dario Grady at the helm and when they was at BP a few years back under David Artell probably one of the best L2 sides I've seen paired with Rochdale when they had Le Fondre, O'Grady and Dagnall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
Poojah
April 26, 2023, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,733
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Crewe had a great business model with it years back with Dario Grady

I’m not sure “paedophile ring” passes as a “great business model” in this day and age…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
ginnywings
April 26, 2023, 9:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer
Much like against Barrow, it was another pretty open game, very much unlike most of the games we've seen this season.

Decent or encouraging games from most of the players and we could certainly have had a couple more goals with better choices made. Khan played pretty well, but kept making the wrong choice in their box and so we wasted a few more opportunities for goals. Khouri showed some nice touches and got stuck in well at times as well. A little in and out of the game, but that's generally the case with midfielders and he's still very inexperienced in the middle. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him next season, though I'm not convinced he'll be a starter.

Hunt was very careless at times in the first half. Needlessly gave the ball away in dangerous positions a few times, but we got away with them. A nice pass for the first goal (though their defence was wide open) and he certainly settled down in the second half. When he gets it right, he moves the ball on a lot faster than our other players, but the errors came when he tried to rush it or overcomplicate. I'd still like to see him hit the gym over the summer and come back with a few more pounds of muscle on his upper body as I think that will help him more than he might realise.

I thought Clifton's forward running was really effective at stretching them and it was a peach of a cross for the second goal.

Orsi did pretty well again tonight - took his goal well and wriggled his way through nicely to have a blocked shot earlier in the game. Some clever touches at times. Did he also provide the assist for Holohan's opener? Orsi has the knack of not panicking when receiving possession in the box which could pay dividends if we can get him in a good partnership next season. He's done much better in League games over the past month following his cameos in the Cup and it's changed my mind about him. I didn't think he had anything to offer, but I think he could be useful, even if perhaps not a starter next season.

My concern tonight mostly came from Glennon, who battled against their quick and strong winger, but struggled due to lack of pace. I suppose he did just about enough, but I suspect he'll get a few chasings from the quicker wingers if he's our first choice next season. Smith struggled aerially tonight which was a surprise as he's normally pretty solid in that regard. However, they were more about movement than direct lumps upfield.

The big caveat with the pleasing performance tonight was that it was against another team who weren't as physically gigantic as many we face (though they still had more height and pace than us across the pitch), and we certainly found ourselves on the defensive as they brought on quicker and bigger players during the second half. Unfortunately, I think the team tonight would probably have struggled against many of the big bullying teams we so often face.

It's good to see some more entertaining games and some good results as the season draws to a close. Hope we can keep it going on the final day.

This was discussed by PH in his post match, and the gist is what some of us thought in that Hunt is here for his potential and with better players around him and with more experience, he will become a regular eventually. He is currently hitting the gym and building himself up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
forza ivano
April 26, 2023, 10:20am

Exile
perhaps what made it better last night was the fact that orsi, Hunt, Khan and Khouri are all good technical players and have the ability to control and move the ball quicker.
When others where it involved (Holohan for example0 it looked a lot slower and more laboured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
HatTrickHero
April 26, 2023, 10:25am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Always feels a little like Alex is trying to hard, built up as the Yorkshire Pirlo then getting 30-45 minutes here and there to prove himself. Looked like lat night someone had a word with him at half time, a basic 'keep it simple' bit of advice, the chance for the killer pass will come, learn to spot it. Shown by the superb slide-rule pass for the goal.
Hope he starts the last 2 games, we'll see his quality next season I'm sure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
rancido
April 26, 2023, 11:24am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not sure “paedophile ring” passes as a “great business model” in this day and age…

To be fair, the business model was correct but certain aspects of it's application at a lower level in the club was deplorable. As I recall Dario Grady wasn't involved in this 'paedophile ring' but complicit in turning a 'blind eye' to rumours about it's existence.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
DB
April 26, 2023, 11:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,050
Gold Stars: 391
A 2-0 home victory that was good to watch. I thought Hunt played well in the 2nd half, also Khouri fitted in well. Both Orsi and Holohan took their goals well from perfect passes.

The team looked good but Emmanuel doesn't seem to have the touch he had when he first played, not that he played badly. Either Burnsy or Matt Dean said he came as a 'Free Agent' which made me wonder if he's still on Hull's books.

The one thing last night proved is that we are a better team when they keep the ball on the ground.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
Poojah
April 26, 2023, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

To be fair, the business model was correct but certain aspects of it's application at a lower level in the club was deplorable. As I recall Dario Grady wasn't involved in this 'paedophile ring' but complicit in turning a 'blind eye' to rumours about it's existence.

Complicit enough to receive a lifetime ban from football.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
kafunanapar140909
April 26, 2023, 11:45am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from HatTrickHero
Always feels a little like Alex is trying to hard, built up as the Yorkshire Pirlo then getting 30-45 minutes here and there to prove himself. Looked like lat night someone had a word with him at half time, a basic 'keep it simple' bit of advice, the chance for the killer pass will come, learn to spot it. Shown by the superb slide-rule pass for the goal.
Hope he starts the last 2 games, we'll see his quality next season I'm sure.

I agree. Last night was my favourite performance of his since he's returned. I really like him in that deep-lying playmaker position - we played some neat stuff in that 4-3-3 system. With a run of games I could see Hunt settling at the base of midfield nicely. Defensively he was a little suspect, but I'm sure with more experience in being able to read the game (from a defensive standpoint) and a little bit of bulking up (as has already been suggested) he could turn into a real asset. He's still only 22, so plenty of learning and development to come.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
Abdul19
April 26, 2023, 12:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,596
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Poojah

And have his name changed from an Italian one to an Irish one.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
Heisenberg
April 26, 2023, 12:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Poojah

I heard stuff about him from a Crewe fan back around 1995, so I think he probably escaped very lightly, all things considered. I think Crewe knew exactly what was going on for decades.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Maringer
April 26, 2023, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,667
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from DB
The team looked good but Emmanuel doesn't seem to have the touch he had when he first played, not that he played badly. Either Burnsy or Matt Dean said he came as a 'Free Agent' which made me wonder if he's still on Hull's books.

Emmanuel does seem to have developed a 50p head from somewhere. You've got no idea where the ball is going to go if he manages to get his head to it. It almost went one worse last night after the ball bounced off his backside at such an angle that it set them up for a chance in the first half!

If I recall correctly, we paid a fee of some sort to Hull but only signed him on a short-term contract until the end of the season, the idea being that he'd put himself in the shop window for higher division clubs.

To be honest, I'm not sure that I'd be overly interested in signing him as, the odd flash aside (I'm thinking a few crosses for goals), he hasn't looked like he's too good for this division and he's been very much in and out of the team for a reason. I suspect he'd be pretty expensive salary-wise if he was to stay and I'm not sure he'd be worth it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
rancido
April 26, 2023, 2:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Poojah

Fair point  and I am not defending what happend just highlighting the recruitment and training model that existed at Crewe, initiated by DG.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
acko338
April 26, 2023, 3:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
It would be good if both Khouri and Braithwaite prove themselves to be the next one(s) of our own, as fans slways like to support graduates from the Youth set up.

Boyd and Essel seem to be further back in development, so recruitment of front players to develop into proper squad level players may need to come from higher league teams.

With that in mind, I would not be sorry to see Richardson return next season, hopefully fully fit, as he wasn't scared to compete up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
CSLM
April 26, 2023, 5:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
I've seen a few people comment on Hunt playing it safer/simpler second half.
I don't think they are the correct words as the switches to Khan were definitely neither of those.
He didn't try as many risky passes through the middle I would say.
He is by far the best passer of the ball, followed by Glennon. The crispness of the passing is the key. To be fair to Orsi and especially Khan they controlled the balls very well in the main.
There were certainly lots of stray passes including Hunt quite a few times. I do think he has something about him though and with the right players around him I think could be top league 2 level very soon.

Special mention for Khan, I think he could be great too.

Overall a decent watch though it does have to be said that Crewe helped us look good by giving us time and space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
HertsGTFC
April 26, 2023, 6:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Thought all the young starters did well last night, Hunt showed what he will be, Khouri how technically good and loved that interplay with Khan on the left in the 2nd half and Glennon showed that he’s really come on.

Andy Smith did really well, it will get knocked back but we need to put a bid in for him either way.

I’ve just watched the goals now and I thought H’s cross for Orsi’s goal looked like he’s been working on that part of the game.

Hunt did lose the ball a couple of time but not as many as Holohan.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
arryarryarry
April 26, 2023, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from forza ivano
only my 2nd home game all season - don't know what you lot have been moaning about!
was an enjoyable game - can't add too much more to what's been said. Khan, Orsi, Clifton & Glennon all did well. Hunt made a goal but could've give them an equaliser with an awful pass. PH must pull his hair out watching him!
Khouri is growing in confidence, even through this 75-80 minutes you could see it. By the end he was doing back heels, little turns, cheeky bits of skill and having a couple of decent shots. The crowd were enthused by him, which is no bad thing. I think he's going to be worth watching next season

I thought he had probably his best game so far.

As regards that pass, having seen all the home games this season and most of the away ones you could swap the name Hunt for just about any of the other players for making a crap pass, not forgetting a fair number of our goals conceded through urine poor defending by most of the defence and that doesn't stop Hurst from picking them.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
MuddyWaters
April 26, 2023, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,286
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought he had probably his best game so far.

As regards that pass, having seen all the home games this season and most of the away ones you could swap the name Hunt for just about any of the other players for making a crap pass, not forgetting a fair number of our goals conceded through urine poor defending by most of the defence and that doesn't stop Hurst from picking them.

He showed, with the speed of pass on several occasions, what he’s got that others haven’t.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
ginnywings
April 26, 2023, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Thought all the young starters did well last night, Hunt showed what he will be, Khouri how technically good and loved that interplay with Khan on the left in the 2nd half and Glennon showed that he’s really come on.

Andy Smith did really well, it will get knocked back but we need to put a bid in for him either way.

I’ve just watched the goals now and I thought H’s cross for Orsi’s goal looked like he’s been working on that part of the game.

Hunt did lose the ball a couple of time but not as many as Holohan.

Harry put in a similarly excellent cross in the first half, but there was no one on the end of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
buckstown
April 26, 2023, 8:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 79
Forgot to mention that I thought the ref had a good game last night. Let it flow, no glaring errors and the fact that he's not had a mention kind of gives it away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
CSLM
April 26, 2023, 9:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from buckstown
Forgot to mention that I thought the ref had a good game last night. Let it flow, no glaring errors and the fact that he's not had a mention kind of gives it away

Good point mate.
I forgot about that, he was one of the better ones.
Thinking about it though Crewe were in the minority as they weren't continually fouling and bullying. Don't want to say cheating lol.
Mind you as I've realised, we are pretty good at all that at certain times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
Mariner_501
April 27, 2023, 12:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Maringer

Emmanuel does seem to have developed a 50p head from somewhere. You've got no idea where the ball is going to go if he manages to get his head to it. It almost went one worse last night after the ball bounced off his backside at such an angle that it set them up for a chance in the first half!

If I recall correctly, we paid a fee of some sort to Hull but only signed him on a short-term contract until the end of the season, the idea being that he'd put himself in the shop window for higher division clubs.

To be honest, I'm not sure that I'd be overly interested in signing him as, the odd flash aside (I'm thinking a few crosses for goals), he hasn't looked like he's too good for this division and he's been very much in and out of the team for a reason. I suspect he'd be pretty expensive salary-wise if he was to stay and I'm not sure he'd be worth it.

The first few games I thought he looked quality. Too good for the division. Now I wouldn’t be overly bothered if he signed it not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
LH
April 27, 2023, 12:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,590
Gold Stars: 175
Emmanuel’s drop off could be down to him being confident he has somewhere to play next season.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
Poojah
April 27, 2023, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_501

The first few games I thought he looked quality. Too good for the division. Now I wouldn’t be overly bothered if he signed it not

Prior to signing for us, literally all of Emmanuel’s league football has come at Championship and League One level. Regardless of what you make of his recent performances there’s an abundance of evidence which points to him being better than this level.

This is pure conjecture, but I suspect Hull will have been paying a reasonable chunk of his wages since January. He’d probably have to take a sizeable pay cut to sign for us beyond this season, but if there’s a viable way of doing it, it would be absolute madness not to.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
Northbank Mariner
April 27, 2023, 4:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Poojah

Prior to signing for us, literally all of Emmanuel’s league football has come at Championship and League One level. Regardless of what you make of his recent performances there’s an abundance of evidence which points to him being better than this level.

This is pure conjecture, but I suspect Hull will have been paying a reasonable chunk of his wages since January. He’d probably have to take a sizeable pay cut to sign for us beyond this season, but if there’s a viable way of doing it, it would be absolute madness not to.

Why would Hull be paying any of his wages?..he's our player and the fact he'd have to pay 40% tax on any earnings from a second employer. Personally i suspect we potentially paid a fee that equated to 6 months salary at Hull minus what we are paying him or Hull just paid him up to allow to sign for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
Norseman
April 27, 2023, 11:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Emmanuel done nothing to convince me he is worth a contract .Obviously been a very good player .But don't see it now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
forza ivano
April 28, 2023, 6:53am

Exile
Quoted from Norseman
Emmanuel done nothing to convince me he is worth a contract .Obviously been a very good player .But don't see it now

He's certainly not a right back, but is certainly more than good enough at RWB for Div 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
ska face
April 28, 2023, 7:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,775
Gold Stars: 851
Maybe he’s struggling with his fitness given he’s not played a professional match since November 2021 and has come in & been asked to play a couple of times a week for the last 3 months. Might look a completely different prospect with a full pre season.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
lukeo
April 29, 2023, 6:40am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,400
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from ska face
Maybe he’s struggling with his fitness given he’s not played a professional match since November 2021 and has come in & been asked to play a couple of times a week for the last 3 months. Might look a completely different prospect with a full pre season.

This.
He shows glimpses of class.
At this moment in time I'd choose Efete over him, but I'm sure with a pre season under his belt he'd become a very very good full back at our level. I love his Shaun Pearson esc step overs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.