Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 102 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 5,798 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
April 26, 2023, 7:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Thought last night was a good game without actually being a good game. The result perhaps made the evening a good one and the performance was by no means poor but I also don't think it was exciting, we never had a spell where you got the sense a goal was imminent.

Both the goals scored were well crafted, the alertness of of both Hunt and Holohan was great to see and well finished from Gav.

I was pleased for Orsi to get another goal too. He wasn't really in the game much in terms of service in to him, what did come his way he did OK with and his defensive effort didn't go unnoticed. But a few have been asking for him to get his chance with a run in the team and he's backed that with another well taken goal from a quality Clifton cross.

Hunt had an awkward game for me. Like many, I can forgive certain passes going wrong because the higher the risk the higher the reward (in many cases), but there was also some basic ones gone wrong that didn't impress. Hunt is another I'm willing to do well because he is a ball player and when he's on form he's great to watch.

Khan had one of his best games for Town for me, really pleased with what he offered, Clifton his usual good self and no real poor performers across the board. If I had to make a criticism it would be that despite Emmanuel being 20ft tall his heading seems very suspect. Think that's the definition of scraping the barrel.

Special mention and my MoM was Khouri. Haven't quite bought into the hype about him previously, not that I think he's been poor but he has played like a youngster and made many basic errors in games that have made me reserve a little on him. Last night I thought he gave a performance more fitting of a senior pro and by the second half you could see how much his confidence had grown just within the game. If he can maintain and build on that performance then I absolutely see him having a good career, hopefully with us for the foreseeable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
GtfcGarner
April 26, 2023, 8:56am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Think that Khouri is growing into that role and being more trusted by PH week by week. Great man-management to ease him in the way he has and not just thrown him in the games where it might of just knocked young Khouri's confidence if he didn't step up. PH obviously seen something in him to keep him on, I believe it was Woodsy that spotted him when released from West Ham may be wrong?

I'd love us to have a production line of youngsters breaking through to the first team and representing us like Harry has. Obviously not everyone can stay but it makes you happy seeing one of your own out there like young Braithwaite last night, really made up for the lad and it's a moment he will never forget.

Crewe had a great business model with it years back with Dario Grady at the helm and when they was at BP a few years back under David Artell probably one of the best L2 sides I've seen paired with Rochdale when they had Le Fondre, O'Grady and Dagnall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
Poojah
April 26, 2023, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,736
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Crewe had a great business model with it years back with Dario Grady

I’m not sure “paedophile ring” passes as a “great business model” in this day and age…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
ginnywings
April 26, 2023, 9:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
Much like against Barrow, it was another pretty open game, very much unlike most of the games we've seen this season.

Decent or encouraging games from most of the players and we could certainly have had a couple more goals with better choices made. Khan played pretty well, but kept making the wrong choice in their box and so we wasted a few more opportunities for goals. Khouri showed some nice touches and got stuck in well at times as well. A little in and out of the game, but that's generally the case with midfielders and he's still very inexperienced in the middle. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him next season, though I'm not convinced he'll be a starter.

Hunt was very careless at times in the first half. Needlessly gave the ball away in dangerous positions a few times, but we got away with them. A nice pass for the first goal (though their defence was wide open) and he certainly settled down in the second half. When he gets it right, he moves the ball on a lot faster than our other players, but the errors came when he tried to rush it or overcomplicate. I'd still like to see him hit the gym over the summer and come back with a few more pounds of muscle on his upper body as I think that will help him more than he might realise.

I thought Clifton's forward running was really effective at stretching them and it was a peach of a cross for the second goal.

Orsi did pretty well again tonight - took his goal well and wriggled his way through nicely to have a blocked shot earlier in the game. Some clever touches at times. Did he also provide the assist for Holohan's opener? Orsi has the knack of not panicking when receiving possession in the box which could pay dividends if we can get him in a good partnership next season. He's done much better in League games over the past month following his cameos in the Cup and it's changed my mind about him. I didn't think he had anything to offer, but I think he could be useful, even if perhaps not a starter next season.

My concern tonight mostly came from Glennon, who battled against their quick and strong winger, but struggled due to lack of pace. I suppose he did just about enough, but I suspect he'll get a few chasings from the quicker wingers if he's our first choice next season. Smith struggled aerially tonight which was a surprise as he's normally pretty solid in that regard. However, they were more about movement than direct lumps upfield.

The big caveat with the pleasing performance tonight was that it was against another team who weren't as physically gigantic as many we face (though they still had more height and pace than us across the pitch), and we certainly found ourselves on the defensive as they brought on quicker and bigger players during the second half. Unfortunately, I think the team tonight would probably have struggled against many of the big bullying teams we so often face.

It's good to see some more entertaining games and some good results as the season draws to a close. Hope we can keep it going on the final day.

This was discussed by PH in his post match, and the gist is what some of us thought in that Hunt is here for his potential and with better players around him and with more experience, he will become a regular eventually. He is currently hitting the gym and building himself up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
forza ivano
April 26, 2023, 10:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
perhaps what made it better last night was the fact that orsi, Hunt, Khan and Khouri are all good technical players and have the ability to control and move the ball quicker.
When others where it involved (Holohan for example0 it looked a lot slower and more laboured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
HatTrickHero
April 26, 2023, 10:25am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Always feels a little like Alex is trying to hard, built up as the Yorkshire Pirlo then getting 30-45 minutes here and there to prove himself. Looked like lat night someone had a word with him at half time, a basic 'keep it simple' bit of advice, the chance for the killer pass will come, learn to spot it. Shown by the superb slide-rule pass for the goal.
Hope he starts the last 2 games, we'll see his quality next season I'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
rancido
April 26, 2023, 11:24am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not sure “paedophile ring” passes as a “great business model” in this day and age…

To be fair, the business model was correct but certain aspects of it's application at a lower level in the club was deplorable. As I recall Dario Grady wasn't involved in this 'paedophile ring' but complicit in turning a 'blind eye' to rumours about it's existence.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
DB
April 26, 2023, 11:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,049
Gold Stars: 391
A 2-0 home victory that was good to watch. I thought Hunt played well in the 2nd half, also Khouri fitted in well. Both Orsi and Holohan took their goals well from perfect passes.

The team looked good but Emmanuel doesn't seem to have the touch he had when he first played, not that he played badly. Either Burnsy or Matt Dean said he came as a 'Free Agent' which made me wonder if he's still on Hull's books.

The one thing last night proved is that we are a better team when they keep the ball on the ground.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
Poojah
April 26, 2023, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,736
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from rancido

To be fair, the business model was correct but certain aspects of it's application at a lower level in the club was deplorable. As I recall Dario Grady wasn't involved in this 'paedophile ring' but complicit in turning a 'blind eye' to rumours about it's existence.

Complicit enough to receive a lifetime ban from football.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
kafunanapar140909
April 26, 2023, 11:45am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from HatTrickHero
Always feels a little like Alex is trying to hard, built up as the Yorkshire Pirlo then getting 30-45 minutes here and there to prove himself. Looked like lat night someone had a word with him at half time, a basic 'keep it simple' bit of advice, the chance for the killer pass will come, learn to spot it. Shown by the superb slide-rule pass for the goal.
Hope he starts the last 2 games, we'll see his quality next season I'm sure.

I agree. Last night was my favourite performance of his since he's returned. I really like him in that deep-lying playmaker position - we played some neat stuff in that 4-3-3 system. With a run of games I could see Hunt settling at the base of midfield nicely. Defensively he was a little suspect, but I'm sure with more experience in being able to read the game (from a defensive standpoint) and a little bit of bulking up (as has already been suggested) he could turn into a real asset. He's still only 22, so plenty of learning and development to come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.