rancido
April 25, 2023, 11:12am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from monkeyboy
Have we town fans got so used to substandard standards?

Surely everyone should be saying lets aim higher, glad sir alan didnt have this attitude

Are you implying that Harry Clifton is ' sub- standard'? He is certainly good enough for this league and the one above.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 112
monkeyboy
April 25, 2023, 11:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from rancido

Are you implying that Harry Clifton is ' sub- standard'? He is certainly good enough for this league and the one above.

Not really Harry but a large percentage of the squad isnt great lets face it. time will tell if harry can cut it in league one though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 112
diehardmariner
April 25, 2023, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Never mind the fee, as if Clifton is going to leave for Mansfield when he's got bigger and better clubs interested in him!
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 112
Poojah
April 25, 2023, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from monkeyboy

Not really Harry but a large percentage of the squad isnt great lets face it. time will tell if harry can cut it in league one though.

A win tonight all but guarantees our highest league finish since 2006 - 17 years ago. Standards have undeniably been low, but that’s not the fault of those currently at the wheel and there are tangible signs of improvement.

We will challenge for promotion next season, I am in no doubt about that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 112
Heisenberg
April 25, 2023, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Poojah

A win tonight all but guarantees our highest league finish since 2006 - 17 years ago. Standards have undeniably been low, but that’s not the fault of those currently at the wheel and there are tangible signs of improvement.

We will challenge for promotion next season, I am in no doubt about that.

Now THAT is a bold statement, young man!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 112
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 25, 2023, 2:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Rick12
Good post. I feel maybe the sentimental side of things can get in the way as well amongst fans me included .A home grown player that has the right mindsight and loves playing for his club and feeds of that energy. Its as if for some hes living out our childhood dreams eg you want to play for your hometown football club and do really well for them and then  more than likely move on to pastures new where the millions are. I note in the FA  Brighton v Grimsby  game  the tv pundits picked up on this as well and were calling Harry Clifton  Mr Grimsby.

Decent post supporting a very good post. Harry’s decent but let’s be honest how often have town bossed the midfield battles this year particularly in home games? I acknowledge he’s only one part of that but IMO he’s a decent L2 player whose main qualities are versatility and stamina but lacks a quality first touch and is limited in his range of passing. Can’t see Wednesday being interested in him but Mansfield would probably be interested but not at the price quoted.

Happy if he stays and as others have said if he goes good luck for his future and we hopefully, sign a better replacement which applies to anyone who leaves as we want to avoid a Nolan being replaced with a Berrett scenario.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 112
Poojah
April 25, 2023, 2:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from Heisenberg

Now THAT is a bold statement, young man!

That this is a game of unpredictability and opinions is why love it, but I don’t feel like that is that bold a statement. At the start of this season I predicted we would finish 10th before really kicking on and having a proper go at promotion the following year. I think 10th might just be a smidge beyond us, but we’ll be there or thereabouts and I have no reason to doubt the second half of my prediction.

A recent table on Experimental 361 had us 4th on xG - this has been a season where we have lost out in the margins; Saturday being another fine example of this:

Too many times we have created the better chances in games and not taken advantage. It’s something that needs fixing, and I believe we will. A clinical, physical striker and a central midfielder with quality and experience  above this level, coupled with incremental improvements elsewhere will make a massive difference to outcomes in games next season. I have never been so sure of anything.

Top 7 next season. Minimum. You heard it here first.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 112
Rick12
April 25, 2023, 2:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Happy if he stays and as others have said if he goes good luck for his future
From the snippets I've read on Harry via fans I like the extra training he's been doing. I know another lad who has dreams of making it  professionally and he goes out of his way to train extra and  the like including working on his weaker foot with the ball and  cardiovascular training. It's this attitude which I genuinely love. As sometimes happens in football some youngsters have the ability but not necessarily the sacrifice to want to achieve their potential.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 112
rancido
April 25, 2023, 3:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Rick12
From the snippets I've read on Harry via fans I like the extra training he's been doing. I know another lad who has dreams of making it  professionally and he goes out of his way to train extra and  the like including working on his weaker foot with the ball and  cardiovascular training. It's this attitude which I genuinely love. As sometimes happens in football some youngsters have the ability but not necessarily the sacrifice to want to achieve their potential.

Love him or hate him, this was the approach David Beckham had as a youth. Always stayed after training finished and continued practicing crossing and accurate passing.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 112
forza ivano
April 25, 2023, 3:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
What everyone omits to mention is that Harry is improving year  on year.He has moved up a league, but has scored more goals than ever, and has been an even more effective player this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Harry Clifton

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.