12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
cannylad65
April 24, 2023, 7:12am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
I would like to see Harry move on.

Not because I don't rate him, but I think he deserves a chance to better himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 112
Mappers
April 24, 2023, 9:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from cannylad65
I would like to see Harry move on.

Not because I don't rate him, but I think he deserves a chance to better himself.

I agree as long as it is  an upward move and not one sideways , if it was financially beneficial to both him ,the club and staying relatively local is important to him i suspect .

He is a Town fan for life which is the main thing , hopefully when he does eventually leave he is back in the stands as regularly as he can be .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 112
Rick12
April 24, 2023, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I like Harry we all like Harry but ffs the reality he’s very limited in the technical side of the game and at 25 this summer will that improve ? I always hoped he would take games by the scruff of the neck and dominant the midfield and almost be are stevie G type player. He works hard is the perfect professional chips in with some goals which is great but if anyone is offering the money quoted snap their hands off I say and let’s wish him good luck. My thoughts are he will end up being a squad player at somewhere like Wednesday / Barnsley and hopefully making a good living off the Yorkie twits 😂
Good post. I feel maybe the sentimental side of things can get in the way as well amongst fans me included .A home grown player that has the right mindsight and loves playing for his club and feeds of that energy. Its as if for some hes living out our childhood dreams eg you want to play for your hometown football club and do really well for them and then  more than likely move on to pastures new where the millions are. I note in the FA  Brighton v Grimsby  game  the tv pundits picked up on this as well and were calling Harry Clifton  Mr Grimsby.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 112
Roast Em Bobby
April 24, 2023, 10:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ska face
If anyone offers us £360k for him I’ll drive him there myself

You are odd. You seem happy to get rid of our most effective midfielder this year, but want to base our team around our most ineffective midfielder this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 112
MuddyWaters
April 24, 2023, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

You are odd. You seem happy to get rid of our most effective midfielder this year, but want to base our team around our most ineffective midfielder this year.

Don’t think so. Everyone has a price and the fact that Harry is our player of the season probably indicates how average we are.

By the way, that’s not a comment on Harry, more of a comment on the rest.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 112
ska face
April 24, 2023, 10:47am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I don’t know who you are, but you can’t tell me anyone in this squad is worth £360k.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 112
Poojah
April 24, 2023, 11:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,587
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from ska face

I don’t know who you are, but you can’t tell me anyone in this squad is worth £360k.

Aye. Clifton has a year remaining on his contract, and would be daft to sign an extension at this moment in time. He’s a reliable, incredibly fit, goal scoring, box-to-box midfielder with over 200 senior games under his belt at the age of 24, but we have to be realistic about what a player like that is worth at this level.

Realistically, I would think an offer with an up-front value of between £125k and £175k would secure his services.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 112
Mappers
April 24, 2023, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah

Aye. Clifton has a year remaining on his contract, and would be daft to sign an extension at this moment in time. He’s a reliable, incredibly fit, goal scoring, box-to-box midfielder with over 200 senior games under his belt at the age of 24, but we have to be realistic about what a player like that is worth at this level.

Realistically, I would think an offer with an up-front value of between £125k and £175k would secure his services.

Maybe my valuation of 750k was a bit high .

I suppose the only players that actually go for fees of high value down in league 2 / NL are ones that score a lot up top .

It shows you how important our cup run was , as we are realistically never likely to raise that sort of money from player sales in the short term .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 112
ska face
April 24, 2023, 11:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Poojah

I think the biggest factor influencing fees that we’ll get nowadays is potential. How much did we get for Pollock, £250k? About £300k for McAtee, £160k for Grist - all players who might be able to recoup the fee with a couple of years of development. I just can’t see how Clifton could be worth £400k in a couple of years, or how he improves a team to the extent it makes that fee worthwhile.

Pollock’s doing really well up at Aberdeen at the minute by the way. 5 clean sheets on the bounce, beat Rangers Saturday and won 8 in 10 since he joined in Jan. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him move up there on a permanent deal in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 112
BulkyMariner
April 24, 2023, 11:49am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +206
Gold Stars: 7
And so it begins. A true Fishy-esque start to the summer rumours, with a mad 360k plus add-ons shout for Clifton to Mansfield. Roll on the next few months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Harry Clifton

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.