Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Feigning head injuries
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 101 Guests

Feigning head injuries

This thread currently has 3,252 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
April 15, 2023, 9:46pm
Guest User
This needs sorting out by the FA and fast. Absolutely flipping ridiculous.
promotion plaice
April 15, 2023, 9:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 200

The Mansfield player today being a prime example.

I think that is what you are referring to.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 52
Grantham_Mariner
April 15, 2023, 9:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,199
Gold Stars: 51
If you go down holding your head and physio comes on you should have to go off for ten minutes and be seen by a doctor before you return on pitch. That will stop the fake  ones.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 52
Simon
April 15, 2023, 9:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from promotion plaice

The Mansfield player today being a prime example.

I think that is what you are referring to.

Got up to join in the play when they had the ball then went down holding his head when we won the ball back, ref fell for it like a feckin muppet

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 52
Rodley Mariner
April 15, 2023, 9:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
If you go down holding your head and physio comes on you should have to go off for ten minutes and be seen by a doctor before you return on pitch. That will stop the fake  ones.

It will also encourage potentially concussed players to carry on playing and possibly endanger themselves. Something needs to be done but not sure this is it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2023, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228

Exactly this!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2023, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

It will also encourage potentially concussed players to carry on playing and potentially endangering themselves. Something needs to be done but not sure this is it.

I get what you’re saying but you’d imagine if you did something to get concussion the physio would come on and assess you, all the refs would need is to understand whet a basic assessment looks like, but I get it.

What makes me laugh is when they kick their legs about and bang the floor with their hands. I’ve been completely smashed in the chops on several occasions and concussed a few times whilst egg chasing and I can tell you that’s the last thing you do.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 52
Rodley Mariner
April 15, 2023, 10:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
You can't punish teams for genuine head injuries because of others milking the system. I'd say all head injury stoppages will be video reviewed and subject the a potential three game bam if deemed to be playacting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 52
golfer
April 15, 2023, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Simon

Got up to join in the play when they had the ball then went down holding his head when we won the ball back, ref fell for it like a feckin muppet

He was a feckin muppet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 52
moosey_club
April 15, 2023, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,300
Gold Stars: 226
You can't punish teams for genuine head injuries because of others milking the system. I'd say all head injury stoppages will be video reviewed and subject the a potential three game bam if deemed to be playacting.

How do you video evidence concussion? You would need an mri scanner....what looks inoccious could actually be
serious....its a difficult one as its clear already that teams/players are faking head injuries where it is advantageous to their team...the answer...
I suggest....concussion subs......you leave the field to be assessed by an independent medical assessor...minimum 10- 15 mins...in the meantime your team can put a sub on free of charge.....if the player returns to play as there is nothing wrong with them...you lose a sub..if the player stays off then so be it...sub stands.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2023, 10:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Then it just becomes an opinion as you can’t realistically remotely asses or understand if it’s legitimate or protocols have been applied.

These days physios are well qualified you’d just need to trust their judgement that they’d have player welfare as a priority, generally in this day and age they tend to so that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
Rodley Mariner
April 15, 2023, 10:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
You don't video evidence concussion but you could see if their was no contact and it was completely feigned. Concussion subs work pretty well in rugby but still very open to abuse.

I agree it's a problem. Multiple times this season seen teams break up play by someone clutching their head. But you can't do something that encourages players to pretend they don't have head injuries when they do or punish teams for suffering them. Ten minutes left in a close cup game and your star centre back gets a smack in the head - unlucky but you're now down to ten men for the rest of the match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
jamesgtfc
April 15, 2023, 10:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Something needs doing but you also need to be wary of players dangerously soldiering through. An independent doctor at every game would help but would that increase the number of instances as players target 10 minutes respite from those that are running rings around them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2023, 10:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
You don't video evidence concussion but you could see if their was no contact and it was completely feigned. Concussion subs work pretty well in rugby but still very open to abuse.

I agree it's a problem. Multiple times this season seen teams break up play by someone clutching their head. But you can't do something that encourages players to pretend they don't have head injuries when they do or punish teams for suffering them. Ten minutes left in a close cup game and your star centre back gets a smack in the head - unlucky but you're now down to ten men for the rest of the match.

If they get a smack in the head to that degree you’d assume they’d go down wouldn’t you? Not sure how you couldn’t not? If you can then it’s already happening now I’d assume.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
GYinScuntland
April 16, 2023, 1:15am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
The OP was on about the pillocks that go bottom over mammary and clutch their canisters feigning injuries. Snidey male masturbators.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
aldi_01
April 16, 2023, 7:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As was predicted, the moment this was introduced we all knew teams would utilise it to break up play etc. some teams are better at it than others.

People were complaining at the referee yesterday but to be honest, what he did is exactly what he has to do. The referees are between a rock and a hard place. He knew full well that their player was feigning a head injury but he can’t not stop the game. Imagine the first ref that does and the player turns out to have a genuine concussion etc, poor illegitimate will be hammered.

My anger was aimed directly at the player yesterday, it was blatant cheating. Simple as that.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
lukeo
April 16, 2023, 8:39am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,400
Gold Stars: 149
I wonder if football could introduce it where when someone goes down with a head injury aslong as it isn't dead centre of the action or the ref can clearly see its serious, the ref can wave a physio on to check the players condition whilst the game continues. If it is genuine and quite concerning then you flag the ref down to hault the game. This alone would stop alot of them staying down and milking it. Yesterday for example, no reason why we couldn't continue the game and a physio run on to assess him (although If the rule was in place he probably would of just stood up anyway)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
jimgtfc
April 16, 2023, 9:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
The thing is there’s very little a physio can do on the pitch without a CT scanner to rule out a serious head injury. All pretty pointless arrse covering.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2023, 9:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Managers play a role here, if they don’t accept their players embarrassing themselves like a few Mansfield players did yesterday it’s less likely to happen.

Khan goes down yesterday whilst Mansfield attack he doesn’t feign a head injury to stop the game, many players in that league do.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
MarinerWY
April 16, 2023, 9:16am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
Rugby league introduced a green card along similar lines:

"player will be shown a green card if the game is forced to be paused for them to receive treatment. If the player is shown the green card, they will have to stay off the field for two minutes."

"the change is being encouraged in an attempt to stop players from attempting to pick up a player who has stayed down while also discouraging players from feigning injury"

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/green-card-rugby-league-2023-25879386

Worth noting that head injuries carry a mandatory assessment anyway so a player will be off the pitch for a head injury regardless.

Interesting concept though. I've seen it in practice when a player was definitely stalling for time and ref has used green card, even 2 mins of being a player down makes you more vulnerable, it has limited the number of feigned injuries from what I've seen (altho no data on this as hard to ascertain what's feigned I imagine). In the game I'm thinking of it nipped it in the bud, previously a team would of potentially stalled a few times to run the clock down, it happened once he got green carded and it didn't happen for remainder of game.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
Rodley Mariner
April 16, 2023, 9:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Manager's won't be accepting it so much as actively encouraging it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2023, 9:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Manager's won't be accepting it so much as actively encouraging it.

You could see that yesterday in the 2nd half when they pretty much had a mid half team talk during a stoppage.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2023, 9:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY
Rugby league introduced a green card along similar lines:

"player will be shown a green card if the game is forced to be paused for them to receive treatment. If the player is shown the green card, they will have to stay off the field for two minutes."

"the change is being encouraged in an attempt to stop players from attempting to pick up a player who has stayed down while also discouraging players from feigning injury"

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/green-card-rugby-league-2023-25879386

Worth noting that head injuries carry a mandatory assessment anyway so a player will be off the pitch for a head injury regardless.

Interesting concept though. I've seen it in practice when a player was definitely stalling for time and ref has used green card, even 2 mins of being a player down makes you more vulnerable, it has limited the number of feigned injuries from what I've seen (altho no data on this as hard to ascertain what's feigned I imagine). In the game I'm thinking of it nipped it in the bud, previously a team would of potentially stalled a few times to run the clock down, it happened once he got green carded and it didn't happen for remainder of game.

The culture in RL is completely different to football at all levels, generally players don’t go down but it has crept in at times and refs seem to sniff it out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
GollyGTFC
April 16, 2023, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358

The solution is being developed...

[url=https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/2021/rugby-study-identifies-new-method-to-diagnose-concussion-using-saliva-1]Concussion Saliva Test[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 52
LH
April 16, 2023, 9:53am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,590
Gold Stars: 175
Anyone found to be feigning a hesd injury should have their head removed. Problem solved.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
grimps
April 16, 2023, 9:55am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,145
Gold Stars: 46
If they was made to go off for 5 mins following a head injury then the play acting would stop tomorrow.

Fans are paying good money to see a game of football not some  Nancy roll around on the floor when the games going against them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
Theimperialcoroner
April 16, 2023, 9:55am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,263
Gold Stars: 102
You’d have thought with all the dementia stuff around ex players, that football would be taking this a whole lot more seriously. The RL protocol seems about right as does continuing to play and let the player get treated. That in itself would stop loads of play acting.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
DB
April 16, 2023, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,050
Gold Stars: 391
If a player goes down with a head injury then in the majority of cases they will be able to walk off the pitch to the nearest point. Receive treatment there and don't let them back on for a full 5 minutes with no sub. So their team plays with 10 men for a least 5 mins.

It would address the feigning injuries problem whilst a genuine case can be stretchered off and subbed.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
GollyGTFC
April 16, 2023, 10:07am

Whiskey Drinker

Why would it punish a team with a genuine head injury? Concussion substitutes are already a thing in the international laws of the game aren't they? If a player suffers a head injury and he is displaying symptoms of concussion then both teams get an additional substitute. So there's no risk of pressure on a player with a head injury to play on because his team has used all 5 substitutes. That's pretty fair. You don't get an extra sub if a player has a broken leg do you? It's up to the EFL to implement that law.

The real solution is simple. For a head injury you can bring on a temporary concussion substitute for X minutes (maybe 5). In that time the injured player sees an independent doctor. If he's passed fit he comes back on and the temporary sub departs. If he isn't passed fit (i.e. the doctor diagnoses concussion) the substitute becomes permanent. To stop abuse of the system the injured player has to go through a phased return to training and matches regardless of whether another doctor subsequently disputes the concussion diagnosis. And maybe the temporary sub should be unable to take throw-ins, set pieces and penalties until the change becomes permanent to avoid tactical "special teams" temporary subs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2023, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB
If a player goes down with a head injury then in the majority of cases they will be able to walk off the pitch to the nearest point. Receive treatment there and don't let them back on for a full 5 minutes with no sub. So their team plays with 10 men for a least 5 mins.

It would address the feigning injuries problem whilst a genuine case can be stretchered off and subbed.

Or get them to go off at the nearest point, walk round to the dug out where an independent HCP makes a short assessment before they go back on. If a 3rd party says yes or know to whether they continue it may stop clubs making unsafe decisions re player welfare.

Then again referees clearly have trouble identifying the nearest point in the current rules so it wouldn’t get if the ground.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
rancido
April 16, 2023, 10:21am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100

That's just over complicating things. Why not have a similar situation like the have in RU as regards a ' blood substitute'? Allow a temporary substitute while the injured player is assessed by a doctor off the pitch for a maximum of 10 mins. If the player is deemed fit to return to the field of play then fine, if not then the 'blood substitute' remains on the pitch and is classed as a full substitution.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
grimps
April 16, 2023, 10:45am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

That's just over complicating things. Why not have a similar situation like the have in RU as regards a ' blood substitute'? Allow a temporary substitute while the injured player is assessed by a doctor off the pitch for a maximum of 10 mins. If the player is deemed fit to return to the field of play then fine, if not then the 'blood substitute' remains on the pitch and is classed as a full substitution.

A temporary Substitution would take longer than someone play acting .
By the time he’s got changed , given his name to the 4th official etc it would take 5 minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Zmariner
April 16, 2023, 10:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I was very worried for the Mansfield player who got hurt on the halfway line in front of the Findus today. He was kicking his legs up in the air and doing a dead fly looked like a clear case of brain damage to me…… Although he did seem to recover, within 15 seconds of standing up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
Grimal
April 16, 2023, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from grimps
If they was made to go off for 5 mins following a head injury then the play acting would stop tomorrow.

Fans are paying good money to see a game of football not some  Nancy roll around on the floor when the games going against them

If that rule came to force Naymar would only be on the pitch for about 5 minutes every game. .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
scrumble
April 16, 2023, 11:19am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What makes me laugh is when they kick their legs about and bang the floor with their hands. I’ve been completely smashed in the chops on several occasions and concussed a few times whilst egg chasing and I can tell you that’s the last thing you do.

When they roll around like idiots it reminds of Michael Owen when was injured playing for england

https://youtu.be/NyI_gXOE2bw

This what you do when it really hurts. No theatrics, you just want treatment

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
Rodley Mariner
April 16, 2023, 11:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Why would it punish a team with a genuine head injury? Concussion substitutes are already a thing in the international laws of the game aren't they? If a player suffers a head injury and he is displaying symptoms of concussion then both teams get an additional substitute. So there's no risk of pressure on a player with a head injury to play on because his team has used all 5 substitutes. That's pretty fair. You don't get an extra sub if a player has a broken leg do you? It's up to the EFL to implement that law.

The real solution is simple. For a head injury you can bring on a temporary concussion substitute for X minutes (maybe 5). In that time the injured player sees an independent doctor. If he's passed fit he comes back on and the temporary sub departs. If he isn't passed fit (i.e. the doctor diagnoses concussion) the substitute becomes permanent. To stop abuse of the system the injured player has to go through a phased return to training and matches regardless of whether another doctor subsequently disputes the concussion diagnosis. And maybe the temporary sub should be unable to take throw-ins, set pieces and penalties until the change becomes permanent to avoid tactical "special teams" temporary subs.

The post I was replying to made no mention of concussion subs. It would help reduce the delays but it won't stop play being stopped and broken up. Fresh pegs for 5 minutes hardly seems a massive disincentive to stop pretending to have a head injury. The problem in Rugby wasn't players pretending to be hurt to stop play but playing on despite genuine injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
rancido
April 16, 2023, 12:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps

A temporary Substitution would take longer than someone play acting .
By the time he’s got changed , given his name to the 4th official etc it would take 5 minutes

A head injury should be an immediate assessment by a doctor off field. Whatever time it takes should be automatically added to the 90 minutes game time. What would be your solution to this increasing problem. Surely the players welfare should be foremost, especially head injuries and the increasing link with those and dementia.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
grimps
April 16, 2023, 12:21pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

A head injury should be an immediate assessment by a doctor off field. Whatever time it takes should be automatically added to the 90 minutes game time. What would be your solution to this increasing problem. Surely the players welfare should be foremost, especially head injuries and the increasing link with those and dementia.

Nobody’s asking the player with the head injury ( or faking injury ) to stay on the pitch .
They should be taken off as you say and assessed but the game should go on .
The manger had plenty of subs to use if he can’t be bothered to wait
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
rancido
April 16, 2023, 1:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Nobody’s asking the player with the head injury ( or faking injury ) to stay on the pitch .
They should be taken off as you say and assessed but the game should go on .
The manger had plenty of subs to use if he can’t be bothered to wait

But surely that disadvantages the team if player is compulsory taken off for an assessment? A temporary substitute satisfies that and if the injured player is deemed fit to carry on then he can return. There has to be some safeguard to stop sham injuries but help recognise the genuine ones.
If the FA want to prevent sham injuries then all they have to do is take a player off for 5 mins for proper recovery if a physio is needed on the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
Son of Cod
April 16, 2023, 1:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
What was wrong with the old rule? Surely it was far better when a head injury was treated as per all other injuries. Just admit defeat and switch it back. If it's deemed bad enough one of the teams will kick the ball out. People weren't dying of head injuries a few seasons ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
grimps
April 16, 2023, 2:07pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

But surely that disadvantages the team if player is compulsory taken off for an assessment? A temporary substitute satisfies that and if the injured player is deemed fit to carry on then he can return. There has to be some safeguard to stop sham injuries but help recognise the genuine ones.
If the FA want to prevent sham injuries then all they have to do is take a player off for 5 mins for proper recovery if a physio is needed on the pitch.

Players have been getting injured for as long as the game has been played.
Substitutes were introduced in case of injures , you can’t have a temporary sub while you make your mind up if the player is injured enough to substitute.
The player is either injured or he isn’t , players have always been asked to leave the pitch to have their treatment not to stop the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
rancido
April 16, 2023, 2:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Players have been getting injured for as long as the game has been played.
Substitutes were introduced in case of injures , you can’t have a temporary sub while you make your mind up if the player is injured enough to substitute.
The player is either injured or he isn’t , players have always been asked to leave the pitch to have their treatment not to stop the game

I agree but the FA have made a distinction with head injuries and refs have to stop play. The whole situation about injuries need looking into to stop the gamesmanship.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
mimma
April 16, 2023, 2:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Temporary subs waste a lot more time.
I'd like to see the 4th. official stop the clock like they do in rugby. It starts again when play restarts. The final whistle goes when the ball goes out of play so a team loosing can keep the ball as long as they like, when the winning side get it just put it in the stand. It takes the disision away from the ref and players know that going down injured doesn't waste any time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
GollyGTFC
April 16, 2023, 2:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
What was wrong with the old rule? Surely it was far better when a head injury was treated as per all other injuries. Just admit defeat and switch it back. If it's deemed bad enough one of the teams will kick the ball out. People weren't dying of head injuries a few seasons ago.

Players have been dying from head injuries sustained in football for years. Former footballers are approximately 3.5 times more likely to have dementia than the general male population. Avoiding head injuries and managed returns to training and matches after suffering a head injury are part of the solution.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 52
nomorefourfiveone
April 16, 2023, 3:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
But goalkeepers feigning cramp is perfectly acceptable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
rancido
April 16, 2023, 3:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from nomorefourfiveone
But goalkeepers feigning cramp is perfectly acceptable

Like any injury, you will never know if it's genuine or not. The difference with Crocombe, if that is who you are referring to, is that no other keepers have twigged on to it before.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
grimps
April 16, 2023, 3:18pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Players have been dying from head injuries sustained in football for years. Former footballers are approximately 3.5 times more likely to have dementia than the general male population. Avoiding head injuries and managed returns to training and matches after suffering a head injury are part of the solution.

Yeah so there shouldn’t be any problems with then leaving the pitch and getting the best medical attention then should there ?

Any player that has a head injury or suspected head injury should  leave the pitch and get checked out .
Like I said the number of stoppages with play acting would drastically reduce and the players welfare is being taken care of
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
exiledmeggie
April 16, 2023, 3:35pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
I remember Pat Partridge the referee going down after the ball landed on him during a game in the 70's. Still can hear that cheer from the Pontoon!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
RichMariner
April 16, 2023, 4:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
I don't think there's a simple solution to this unfortunately. You need to assume each head injury is serious, even if you're 90% sure it's play-acting. And you can't punish the team if one of their players is genuinely injured by forcing them to play either with 10 players, or a sub who will likely be thrown in cold.

The lad who got hurt in the first minute... as someone else has already said, rolling around, bashing the turf with your fist, etc, is usually a sign they're okay. The ones that go down and don't move are usually the serious injuries.

The lad who got hurt, but didn't go down because Mansfield were on the attack... the ref could have stopped the game then. Even though he hadn't gone down, he clearly had a head injury. Obviously, once Crocombe had parried the shot and we then took possession, the player went down.

It's frustrating because that second one was cynical, and then you had our fans shouting that one of our players should go down holding his head when Mansfield were on the attack. You're relying on players being professional about this.

I think the only way you deal with this is education and trust. All players need to learn about and understand the seriousness of head injuries, and not to insult those that have been injured in this way by play-acting. They are professional footballers, so they should be professional.

Time wasting is one thing. Pretending they have serious head injuries simply to stop the game to their team's advantage is more cynical in my view.

A bit of retrospective punishment would be good, too, but it's hard to prove that someone was play-acting as head injuries aren't always visible.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Son of Cod
April 16, 2023, 5:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from GollyGTFC

What you're talking about is a different conversation though, you're talking about the long term effects of heading the ball and going up for headers across entire careers. Stopping the match when a player has gone down with a head injury isn't going to stop dementia in footballers. Players dying from single head impacts are incredibly rare in football, in the extreme circumstances when someone's life is in danger from such an impact the match will be stopped anyway as it's almost always immediately obvious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
rancido
April 16, 2023, 6:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I don't think there's a simple solution to this unfortunately. You need to assume each head injury is serious, even if you're 90% sure it's play-acting. And you can't punish the team if one of their players is genuinely injured by forcing them to play either with 10 players, or a sub who will likely be thrown in cold.

The lad who got hurt in the first minute... as someone else has already said, rolling around, bashing the turf with your fist, etc, is usually a sign they're okay. The ones that go down and don't move are usually the serious injuries.

The lad who got hurt, but didn't go down because Mansfield were on the attack... the ref could have stopped the game then. Even though he hadn't gone down, he clearly had a head injury. Obviously, once Crocombe had parried the shot and we then took possession, the player went down.

It's frustrating because that second one was cynical, and then you had our fans shouting that one of our players should go down holding his head when Mansfield were on the attack. You're relying on players being professional about this.

I think the only way you deal with this is education and trust. All players need to learn about and understand the seriousness of head injuries, and not to insult those that have been injured in this way by play-acting. They are professional footballers, so they should be professional.

Time wasting is one thing. Pretending they have serious head injuries simply to stop the game to their team's advantage is more cynical in my view.

A bit of retrospective punishment would be good, too, but it's hard to prove that someone was play-acting as head injuries aren't always visible.

I'm sorry but education and trust doesn't solve this problem. Managers and coaches will exploit this and it will only take extreme and decisive moves by the FA to eradicate this .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2023, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
The whole thing is ridiculous. You can break both legs and both arms in a tackle and the ref potentially waves play on but somebody gives you a tap on the head and play stops.

As per usual it is the law of unintended consequences and the lawmakers never think things through.

The minute players see an opportunity to bend the rules they will take it, and an appropriate antidote to that should have been brought in with the new law.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 52
toontown
April 16, 2023, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
The whole thing is ridiculous. You can break both legs and both arms in a tackle and the ref potentially waves play on but somebody gives you a tap on the head and play stops.

As per usual it is the law of unintended consequences and the lawmakers never think things through.

The minute players see an opportunity to bend the rules they will take it, and an appropriate antidote to that should have been brought in with the new law.

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Feigning head injuries

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.