6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
April 10, 2023, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
First off, our fans have always been good but the past couple of months they’ve been off the charts, everybody there should be proud of the superb support we’ve offered recently.

First half was poor, absolutely no attacking outlet whatsoever, no width & no creativity at all. Donny were just as bad but got a goal from a good finish.

Second half more of the same and the ref decided to spice things up with some alarmingly mental decisions, it was surreal to watch just how bad they were. Both teams poor again.

Then came the game changing moment, Taylor & McAtee were absolutely shite yet again and were eventually replaced by Lloyd & Orsi. The former instantly made a difference with the first bit of hold up play we’d seen all day to force a corner and a goal. Then brilliant play from Orsi set up Clifton whose shot was laid straight onto a plate for Lloyd.

Loads to work on, it was shite for long periods today and we’ve got a rebuild on this summer at the top end of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
MaccasBoots
April 10, 2023, 7:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 23
We were decent for the first 15 minutes, then they scored out of nothing and we looked completely clueless until the changes. Lloyd and Orsi were brilliant after coming on.

Think these last few games should be used to figure out the bones of the squad for next season. Would very much like to see more of the Orsi Lloyd partnership going forward, they seemed to work well together.

Love Taylor for what he did for us last season, will never forget his goal against Wrexham - but I think his race is run. Hurst should know what he's getting with McAtee at this point - frustratingly inconsistent, wavering between world beating and very poor. I honestly think he's better off the ball than on it. It's Hurst's call whether he wants to try and get him back on loan from Luton next season.

The back three seemed to work for us during the cup run but think we struggle to create much, so maybe the 442 that we finished the game with is the way forward until the end of the season - then re-evaluate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 52
The Yard Dog
April 10, 2023, 7:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from MaccasBoots
We were decent for the first 15 minutes, then they scored out of nothing and we looked completely clueless until the changes. Lloyd and Orsi were brilliant after coming on.

Think these last few games should be used to figure out the bones of the squad for next season. Would very much like to see more of the Orsi Lloyd partnership going forward, they seemed to work well together.

Love Taylor for what he did for us last season, will never forget his goal against Wrexham - but I think his race is run. Hurst should know what he's getting with McAtee at this point - frustratingly inconsistent, wavering between world beating and very poor. I honestly think he's better off the ball than on it. It's Hurst's call whether he wants to try and get him back on loan from Luton next season.

The back three seemed to work for us during the cup run but think we struggle to create much, so maybe the 442 that we finished the game with is the way forward until the end of the season - then re-evaluate.

Thanks McAtee for the memories last year, this year not the same player, we need to move on, we should be starting with Orsi for the last few games as he is actually our own player.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 52
Spurn boy
April 10, 2023, 7:17pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from pontoonlew
First off, our fans have always been good but the past couple of months they’ve been off the charts, everybody there should be proud of the superb support we’ve offered recently.

First half was poor, absolutely no attacking outlet whatsoever, no width & no creativity at all. Donny were just as bad but got a goal from a good finish.

Second half more of the same and the ref decided to spice things up with some alarmingly mental decisions, it was surreal to watch just how bad they were. Both teams poor again.

Then came the game changing moment, Taylor & McAtee were absolutely shite yet again and were eventually replaced by Lloyd & Orsi. The former instantly made a difference with the first bit of hold up play we’d seen all day to force a corner and a goal. Then brilliant play from Orsi set up Clifton whose shot was laid straight onto a plate for Lloyd.

Loads to work on, it was shite for long periods today and we’ve got a rebuild on this summer at the top end of the pitch.

The town fans never stopped singing all game and are a credit to the club, well done all of you UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 52
MarinerRob
April 10, 2023, 7:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Spurn boy
The town fans never stopped singing all game and are a credit to the club, well done all of you UTM

They were AMAZING. Even when not playing well and losing they NEVER stopped.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 52
lukeo
April 10, 2023, 7:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Fantastic fans 10/10. Brilliant.

The team played well for the first 10mins and the last 10. The rest was drab.
I say it alot but Lloyd is a must have for next season. You won't get many better without paying a big sum.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 52
April 10, 2023, 7:38pm
Guest User
I enjoyed the last 11 minutes. League 2 insanity at its finest. No way was there 8600 there either.
Reply: 6 - 52
Son of Cod
April 10, 2023, 7:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from 140381
I enjoyed the last 11 minutes. League 2 insanity at its finest. No way was there 8600 there either.

Yep absolutely no chance were there 5500 Donny there. 4000 of them tops, I'd say. We had not far off half the attendance.

Hunt needs to be playing every single minute from now for me. We're severely lacking in creativity and we've got a player with the raw ability to rip teams apart at this level but he's a bit lightweight and lacking experience. Just throw him in now, doesn't matter if we lose. Clifton, Green and Hunt need minutes together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 52
Limerick Mariner
April 10, 2023, 7:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,739
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from 140381

6.5k at most. Another team that announce tickets sold. We’d be above both Mansfield and Donny in the average att. table if they did the same as we do.

I also think 5 at the back has served it’s time. At Luton we couldn’t even fill the bench; we’ve now 6 games left with 4 at home and almost a full squad available. Let’s be entertained please…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 52
immariner
April 10, 2023, 8:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
https://youtu.be/YR7VoHwmn30

Good view of our goal celebrations. Absolute nailed on penalty for the follow through on Lloyd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 52
chipsandgravy
April 10, 2023, 8:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Today is probably why I prefer away games. Fans were fantastic and despite an indifferent performance for the best part I think the crowd generally helped to pull the players through. The fans didn't give up and in the end neither did the players. Mirror that with the Hartlepool game at home where the fans did give up ( and quite rightly went home).
This was the teams 64th game in 12 months - with a month turnaround last year and its beginning to show. To many players off there game today but this time the subs and change of formation worked. A team of our size and budget is all about making steady progress on and off field each year. I think we are creating a decent platform for us to do that. We have a big part to play as today showed and I for one will look forward to seeing our recruitment in the summer to push on even further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2023, 8:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pontoonlew

Pretty much how I saw it but credit to the players they did go for it at the end, felt Donny where all about trying to get one of yours sent off as the ref was p1ss poor, unfit and actually quite lazy.

On Saturday I posted that we should give Orsi & Lloyd a start as they’re willing runners into space, I got shot down by one particular poster, well there you go.

When you think of the cost and distance of our away trips this season the numbers that have travelled and made a noise I’m not sure there’s any other fan base like it!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
LondonMariner43
April 10, 2023, 9:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Today is probably why I prefer away games. Fans were fantastic and despite an indifferent performance for the best part I think the crowd generally helped to pull the players through. The fans didn't give up and in the end neither did the players. Mirror that with the Hartlepool game at home where the fans did give up ( and quite rightly went home).
This was the teams 64th game in 12 months - with a month turnaround last year and it’s beginning to show. To many players off there game today but this time the subs and change of formation worked. A team of our size and budget is all about making steady progress on and off field each year. I think we are creating a decent platform for us to do that. We have a big part to play as today showed and I for one will look forward to seeing our recruitment in the summer to push on even further.

Good to read someone noticing the heavy schedule the squad and manager have been through over the last two seasons.  Far too many people slagging off the squad on social media and saying they are rubbish, not trying etc.  Not only has is been a hell of a year but we have hardly any players with the experience of playing a full season of league football.  Once we went out of the cup and looked safe, it’s no surprise that the players haven’t been able to perform to their best.  Hopefully they’ll be back in August reinvigorated after a decent break and pre season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
HerveJosse
April 10, 2023, 9:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

6.5k at most. Another team that announce tickets sold. We’d be above both Mansfield and Donny in the average att. table if they did the same as we do.

I also think 5 at the back has served it’s time. At Luton we couldn’t even fill the bench; we’ve now 6 games left with 4 at home and almost a full squad available. Let’s be entertained please…

At less then £10: a game for full adult season ticket they can afford not to turn up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
RichMariner
April 10, 2023, 9:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
Watched the game on Mariners TV.

Agree with OP, we looked directionless once we went behind. Subs made a difference. Orsi's first touch was sublime out wide, and his pass inside to Clifton was just as good.

As someone else has already said on this thread, time to ditch McAtee now and play Orsi. It's shocking that he hasn't actually scored a league goal for us this season, but he's shown in patches that he has a good touch and decent vision.

It doesn't feel nice to say, but Taylor is done and McAtee, well... he really does chase people down and battle to win the ball back. I like that energy about him. But on the ball this season he's been very hit and miss. Doesn't look like he can last 90 mins and gives the ball away a bit too easily. No doubting his technical ability, though.

Lloyd's a pest but I'd love to see him play up top where someone else does the donkey work. He's got some ability at holding the ball up but I see him more like a Vardy-type player, being a nuisance, chasing things down, breaking the lines... let's see what Cheltenham want to do with him in the summer.

Listened to Hurst's post-match interview and the heavy schedule and short pre-season is a valid argument (in fact, I don't think many of us will disagree with him on that). Naturally we want to see better football and more entertainment, but we have options up front so please can we ditch the three-at-the-back thing. It was necessary in Jan but not now.

Time to experiment a little. Give Khouri a start, or play Hunt more advanced. Khan looked a bit of a passenger today, maybe he needs a rest. What was the point in signing O'Neill and Dickson-Peters??

Given the players are out on their feet after a long season, loads of travelling and a heavy cup run, I think these are the only types of wins we're going to get — less free-flowing football, more grinding them out through set-pieces and more direct passing.

It'd be lovely to sneak into 12th by the final game of the season.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 10, 2023, 9:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Agree with the majority opinion that a match between two poor sides on the day and as others have said our passing and inability to keep the ball is the major problem and you are always going to struggle to win games given this ongoing scenario.

Thought their goal was a great strike and a bit surprised some have suggested Max was at fault but our defence was certainly slow to their movement in receiving a throw in and moving it on. Compare this to our throw ins which, unless it’s Maher, go backwards and usually end up with Max or a defender hoofing it forward.

As we said after Fridays game our midfield is bang average and unfortunately our front two today offered nothing so not surprising we struggled to create a chance. As a previous advocate for Orsi to be afforded more game time I smugly enjoyed his and Lloyd’s cameo and I think Orsi has a fantastic first touch and his set up for Clifton’s shot was sublime.

Finally a quick word about their keeper, who I’ve seen make quite a few ricketts on EFL highlights show, who kindly was all at sea for the corner and calmly palmed the ball perfectly to Lloyd for our second.

Poor game great result but a lot of changes required for next season if we are to offer any sort of play off challenge.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
toontown
April 10, 2023, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Town fans were absolutely stellar today, even more so after the poor performance that was served up last week.

I am surprised at people criticising crocombe, I thought he did well to even get a fingertip to it. For me we should have conceded a penalty just before half time with that green challenge but somehow got away with it.

I have to say I agree with those who say taylors race looks run, just so little mobility left in him now, despite the adroit little flicks, certainly not up to league 2 any more. Mcatee is a shadow of the player he was, not through lack of off the ball effort, he still has that. Not through lack of skill, he jhas the technical ability - its the decision making, so poor now. We improved as soon  as taylor and mcatee made way and I am no orsi fan. Brilliant atmosphere  at the end, loved it! L

Seems like, very uncharacteristically, hurst saved players for this game, it worked out, just, for this match but we were shown up at home to pools. More work than perhaps some thought in the summer, including Hurst? Maybe he learned a lot over the last couple of games though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
Limerick Mariner
April 10, 2023, 11:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Approval: +5,739
Gold Stars: 138
We are officially safe from relegation - Pools and Crawley can’t both win when they meet, but not mathematically out of the play-offs; who wouldn’t have settled for the former to happen before the latter, when, not much more than a year ago we were mid-table NL. I think Hurst was alluding a bit at that in the after-match - he said something along the lines of looking at where we are and where we should be and thinking we are doing ok.

Some of the deluded knobheads on social media think different.
I think 2 out of our “big 3” rivals from last season could yet be facing another season of NL, whereas we could yet get our best finish in 16 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 8:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from toontown

I am surprised at people criticising crocombe, I thought he did well to even get a fingertip to it. For me we should have conceded a penalty just before half time with that green challenge but somehow got away with it..

I only saw the goal on the EFL highlights show last night but it would have been the save of the season if he`d stopped it. It was just a great strike.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
bedders78
April 11, 2023, 8:37am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
I didn't think the performance level overall was too different to the Hartlepool game but we had a little more luck.

1-4 could've been 2-1 without the bad penalty decision when we were well on top. But Hartlepool end up scoring with every shot on target. Equally the reverse could've happened with Green's reckless challenge yesterday. Fine margins and all that.

Great to see Orsi come on and get into a game.  He reminds me a lot of Kristian Dennis in his ability to find the spaces that the opposition don't want him in.

We are still really bad at getting the ball in front of players like Khan.  Too many balls that are straight at him, and others, that they have to take standing still with their backs to goal. It leads to slow attacks and no chance of taking on isolated defenders one on one.

I got a little emotional when the team were walking off at the end.  Not at the performance, but the feeling that the connection between the fans and the team is so strong at the moment. The sense of togetherness is incredible and i hope we can maintain it because it really helps to drive the club forward.

Any news on their young lad that was stretchered off?

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
Lost in Lincoln
April 11, 2023, 9:28am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7

I only saw the goal on the EFL highlights show last night but it would have been the save of the season if he`d stopped it. It was just a great strike.

He got a hand to it tbf.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 52
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,694
Gold Stars: 540
Whilst I think he's probably going to go down a bit in folklore for his cup efforts, going into the game yesterday I was convinced Orsi was done here.    Today I'm not sure.  Yeah it was a cameo appearance really but he showed in 10 minutes exactly what we lacked pretty much the whole game.

Movement, movement and a little bit more movement.  That winning goal came because he went across the backline, dragged defenders out of position which created space for both Clifton and Lloyd.  We didn't do that at any point whilst Taylor was on the pitch.

I think Taylor was fantastic last season and this season he's shown glimpses of what he can offer.  But Monday and Friday when he came on he looked to be a man who is at the end of his career, with too many injuries suffered and lacking any ability to influence the game.    To describe him as static is probably too kind, ineffectual is probably too gentle.   It's a shame when any player comes to the end of their career, especially in the case of Taylor when if it wasn't for injuries he may have another year or two in him.  But we're not a charity and we can't afford to carry passengers.

I'm not saying Orsi is the answer, because I don't know if he is.  But he showed exactly what we've missed, that's for Hurst and co. to decide if that missing element can be upgraded on.  

McAtee looks a shadow of last seasons players.  The reasons why have been done to death but quite simply, if you take last season out of it and imagine he's a player we signed (be it loan or permanent) in the summer with no previous knowledge - we would all be disappointed with what he's given.  Absolutely dragged us through games last season at times, but you can't live on histories forever.  

Getting a permanent deal for Lloyd is essential to me.  If he's paired with the right man he'll cause havoc for us.  I'd like to see him and Orsi start the remaining games of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
jamesgtfc
April 11, 2023, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
Getting a permanent deal for Lloyd is essential to me.  If he's paired with the right man he'll cause havoc for us.  I'd like to see him and Orsi start the remaining games of the season.

Poor January recruitment would upgrade to good if we could land him on a permanent this summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2023, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
Just a word on Doncaster. Some clubs never seem to make a mark on the football world and Doncaster are certainly one of those.

Despite having all the advantages some posters crave for - a central location, big catchment area, near several big cities, a newish stadium they have never set the footballing world alight, and they look on a downer again.

I think in the 60's they may have had a purple patch but I can't remember them doing anything of note.

It is true the last 20 years have been grim for us, but I always think we will somehow find better times.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
grimps
April 11, 2023, 10:40am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,146
Gold Stars: 46
Just a word on Doncaster. Some clubs never seem to make a mark on the football world and Doncaster are certainly one of those.

Despite having all the advantages some posters crave for - a central location, big catchment area, near several big cities, a newish stadium they have never set the footballing world alight, and they look on a downer again.

I think in the 60's they may have had a purple patch but I can't remember them doing anything of note.

It is true the last 20 years have been grim for us, but I always think we will somehow find better times.

Yeah I can remember them struggling to get 2000 fans in the 80s and 90s .
If we had their ground we would be in the championship now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
Son of Cod
April 11, 2023, 10:52am
Champagne Drinker

They had that spell when they were in the second tier for five or so years around 2010 and they were averaging 10/11,000 for a few seasons. I guess that was their recent pomp.

One thing that struck me about going to the match yesterday was how crap it must be to have to do that walk from town and sit in a big stand that's about a third full week in week out. There must have been what...3.5/4,000 of them scattered around 11,000 seats in the home ends yesterday. It was bad. Blundell Park is far from perfect but I'd take it over the Eco-Power Stadium without question. If it wasn't an hour away from Grimsby/Cleethorpes and we didn't take loads of fans there, it'd be one of the worst away days in the division for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Donny is such a weird place.

Huge catchment area, very well located and from the outside looking in has had a decent amount of investment in it too.

Yet sporting wise...

Football team peaked ten or so years ago with a spell in-and-out of the Championship but otherwise has floundered a bit in the fourth tier, occasionally dipping into the third.

Both codes of Rugby draw triple figures through the gates most home games.

Even the protest during the game (2 tennis balls) was poor!

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
ginnywings
April 11, 2023, 11:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Donny is a rugby town.

Their shirts look like a rugby top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 11:31am
Champagne Drinker
I've been critical of Orsi on here recently but it seems he had a good game yesterday and deserves credit. I want him to do that regularly before I'll be fully convinced but well done to him.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
sam gy
April 11, 2023, 11:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
I think for a player that has started just TWO league games and four FA Cup games, Orsi has had a pretty damn decent contribution to this season.

Deserves to start a couple of games in a row...he was obviously trusted enough in the Cup after we were initially left with no choice but to start him and he delivered, so why not in the league?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
HerveJosse
April 11, 2023, 11:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings
Donny is a rugby town.

With gates of less then 500 I don’t think so
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
TwoLeftFeet
April 11, 2023, 12:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
I've been surprised we haven't used Orsi more this season his movement has impressed me the few times he's been given a go and Hurst has said he's the best finisher we have or something along them lines..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Maringer
April 11, 2023, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
The problem with Orsi is that he's managed a good performance here and there, but has never backed it up the next game when given the chance.

When he's played, he's had to generally do the 'target man' role, which really isn't his game. Might be a decent pairing alongside Lloyd who is very willing to put himself about a bit despite his lack of stature, as well as doing plenty of running.

I'd imagine Orsi has earned himself a start in the next game so it's up to him to back it up now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
sam gy
April 11, 2023, 12:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
That's the thing though, just two starts in the league suggests he hasn't really been given the chance.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
Son of Cod
April 11, 2023, 12:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Also forgot to ask, if someone can post the words to the allez allez allez chant too that'd be good? Sounded great but I reckon I'm not the only one who could only really make out something about the boys in black and white and Hursty being our leader.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
That's the thing though, just two starts in the league suggests he hasn't really been given the chance.

Don't think he's made consecutive starts all season.

He definitely hasn't had the luxury of consistently having a place in the eleven.  

We've nothing to lose from seeing what the lad can offer over a run of games.  To the point I think I would be quite annoyed if we don't give him that chance.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
devs
April 11, 2023, 1:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Orsi is a clever player at this level
Great touch and a really good appreciation of what's around him
But he needs a target man IMO to get the best out of him
Hurst has mentioned that he thinks we need bigger and stronger players next season so Orsi might play a bigger part
His pass to Harry for second goal was brilliant

His bit part role has also been down to fact PH prefers McAtee in a similar role... but I can;t see point of that now

Give Orsi/Lloyd pairing the rest of season

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2023, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
Donny is a rugby town.

They are not very good at rugby or football then! Maybe horse racing is their thing.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 1:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from devs
Orsi is a clever player at this level
Great touch and a really good appreciation of what's around him
But he needs a target man IMO to get the best out of him
Hurst has mentioned that he thinks we need bigger and stronger players next season so Orsi might play a bigger part
His pass to Harry for second goal was brilliant

His bit part role has also been down to fact PH prefers McAtee in a similar role... but I can;t see point of that now

Give Orsi/Lloyd pairing the rest of season

UTM

Great touch at Doncaster. Couldn't trap a bag of cement in other games.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
Tinymariner
April 11, 2023, 2:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Son of Cod
Also forgot to ask, if someone can post the words to the allez allez allez chant too that'd be good? Sounded great but I reckon I'm not the only one who could only really make out something about the boys in black and white and Hursty being our leader.

This

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
Son of Cod
April 11, 2023, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker

Great touch at Doncaster. Couldn't trap a bag of cement in other games.

Apart from both games against Luton. Absolutely class flick through for Clifton to equalise at Kenilworth Road and then took the ball in his stride with about 4 Luton players around him to score the second at Blundell Park. Also thought he was very good at home to Salford before the defence decided to hit the self destruct button. The problem he's faced is that he's not really taken the starts he's had in the league very well and then he gets binned off for the next match. There's a player in there, I think we've seen him so sporadically though that nobody really knows if he's good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Withnail
April 11, 2023, 2:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from diehardmariner
Donny is such a weird place.

Huge catchment area, very well located and from the outside looking in has had a decent amount of investment in it too.

Yet sporting wise...

Football team peaked ten or so years ago with a spell in-and-out of the Championship but otherwise has floundered a bit in the fourth tier, occasionally dipping into the third.

Both codes of Rugby draw triple figures through the gates most home games.

Even the protest during the game (2 tennis balls) was poor!

I think if anything their catchment area goes against them with Sheff Wed and Sheff United on their doorstep. No doubt Donny has its fair share of Leeds fans too.

Enough about them though...i won't dwell on the performance as its been done to death but what a great result (and cameo from Orsi and Lloyd) yesterday. Must admit I feared the worst after they scored first so went for a yomp up a couple of hills and coastal path in Dorset instead. Was still getting updates on phone and screamed like a madman when we equalised and scored the winner, much to the locals bemusement and my daughter's embarrassment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
moosey_club
April 11, 2023, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from immariner
https://youtu.be/YR7VoHwmn30

Good view of our goal celebrations. Absolute nailed on penalty for the follow through on Lloyd

I watched that vlog last night, found it quite funny that the guy has the same gripes regards substitutes,  (that we do normally),  with Schofield leaving it too late to make subs despite it being obvious we were putting the pressure on.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 3:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Apart from both games against Luton. Absolutely class flick through for Clifton to equalise at Kenilworth Road and then took the ball in his stride with about 4 Luton players around him to score the second at Blundell Park. Also thought he was very good at home to Salford before the defence decided to hit the self destruct button. The problem he's faced is that he's not really taken the starts he's had in the league very well and then he gets binned off for the next match. There's a player in there, I think we've seen him so sporadically though that nobody really knows if he's good enough.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with him not grabbing his chances. If he's going to stay here and make an impact he has to take the game by the throat when he's in the team.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 11, 2023, 3:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81

I think you've hit the nail on the head with him not grabbing his chances. If he's going to stay here and make an impact he has to take the game by the throat when he's in the team.

Think for anyone to do that they need a run of games, remember Hearns took ten games to get his first goal. As others have said we now have the perfect opportunity to play him and Lloyd together for the rest of the season to see how they get on. Would also like to see Khouri given a chance and let’s be honest he can’t do any worse than others in that role given their respective recent performances.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
April 12, 2023, 9:15am
Guest User
Quoted from Withnail

I think if anything their catchment area goes against them with Sheff Wed and Sheff United on their doorstep. No doubt Donny has its fair share of Leeds fans too.

Enough about them though...i won't dwell on the performance as its been done to death but what a great result (and cameo from Orsi and Lloyd) yesterday. Must admit I feared the worst after they scored first so went for a yomp up a couple of hills and coastal path in Dorset instead. Was still getting updates on phone and screamed like a madman when we equalised and scored the winner, much to the locals bemusement and my daughter's embarrassment.

Donny is primarily a Leeds supporting city but there are plenty of Blades and Wednesday fans about. Most of my neighbours in Thorne are Leeds supporters.

When we've lost to Donny it is therefore largely not remarked on. Many residents hate Donny because they beat Leeds in a third tier play-off final. Not like Leeds fans to bear grudges!

The big one for me personally was watching them go back to the second tier when they won with the last kick of the game at Brentford (I went home and then got a lift to see Town lose at Newport the next day) who then lost to Yeovil in the play-off final.  What an awful weekend that was. How times change.  

Donny made the Championship just after I moved back up here and played some really good stuff.  I have plenty of friends who support Donny and they weren't fooled by their early season wins. They quote a few stats. Eighteen nils for them this season and booed off at home on thirteen occasions.

Reply: 45 - 52
pontoonlew
April 12, 2023, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I think Orsi would really benefit from having some decent wingers around him, unfortunately we’ve not signed one of them in absolutely ages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
chipsandgravy
April 12, 2023, 2:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think Orsi would really benefit from having some decent wingers around him, unfortunately we’ve not signed one of them in absolutely ages.

Oh how I lament the days of decent wingers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
A Brace Of Tees
April 12, 2023, 3:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from pontoonlew

I'm not sure I agree with that. From what I've seen of him (including Monday), he's the sort of player who likes to pick up loose balls in and around the penalty area. Certainly not a traditional striker who gets on the end of crosses, so I don't think having decent wingers would make much difference to his game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Manchester Mariner
April 12, 2023, 4:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41

I'll be forever nostalgic for the days of Dave Gilbert and Gary Childs.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
MuddyWaters
April 12, 2023, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

Plenty of decent whingers on here 🤔
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 52
forza ivano
April 12, 2023, 6:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pontoonlew

sorry, but you're wrong. Look at his goals reels for Maidenhead in his successful season. What he needs is a centre forward to play off and a clever midfielder who can thread balls through to him. When you watch the video you'll see that they had  astocky black midfielder and he provides the assist time after time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 52
ska face
April 12, 2023, 6:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,774
Gold Stars: 851
I don’t watch a great deal of football nowadays, certainly not in the lower leagues, so does anyone know of any teams regularly playing with traditional wingers? Or any wingers in the old-school “chalk on your boots” type? I can’t remember seeing us play against any like that for a long time. The best I’ve seen recently was David Brooks when he burst through at Leeds - would just get the ball, knock it down the line, burn the full back & one-touch cross.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.