6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
April 11, 2023, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196

Great touch at Doncaster. Couldn't trap a bag of cement in other games.

Apart from both games against Luton. Absolutely class flick through for Clifton to equalise at Kenilworth Road and then took the ball in his stride with about 4 Luton players around him to score the second at Blundell Park. Also thought he was very good at home to Salford before the defence decided to hit the self destruct button. The problem he's faced is that he's not really taken the starts he's had in the league very well and then he gets binned off for the next match. There's a player in there, I think we've seen him so sporadically though that nobody really knows if he's good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Withnail
April 11, 2023, 2:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from diehardmariner
Donny is such a weird place.

Huge catchment area, very well located and from the outside looking in has had a decent amount of investment in it too.

Yet sporting wise...

Football team peaked ten or so years ago with a spell in-and-out of the Championship but otherwise has floundered a bit in the fourth tier, occasionally dipping into the third.

Both codes of Rugby draw triple figures through the gates most home games.

Even the protest during the game (2 tennis balls) was poor!

I think if anything their catchment area goes against them with Sheff Wed and Sheff United on their doorstep. No doubt Donny has its fair share of Leeds fans too.

Enough about them though...i won't dwell on the performance as its been done to death but what a great result (and cameo from Orsi and Lloyd) yesterday. Must admit I feared the worst after they scored first so went for a yomp up a couple of hills and coastal path in Dorset instead. Was still getting updates on phone and screamed like a madman when we equalised and scored the winner, much to the locals bemusement and my daughter's embarrassment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
moosey_club
April 11, 2023, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from immariner
https://youtu.be/YR7VoHwmn30

Good view of our goal celebrations. Absolute nailed on penalty for the follow through on Lloyd

I watched that vlog last night, found it quite funny that the guy has the same gripes regards substitutes,  (that we do normally),  with Schofield leaving it too late to make subs despite it being obvious we were putting the pressure on.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 3:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Son of Cod

Apart from both games against Luton. Absolutely class flick through for Clifton to equalise at Kenilworth Road and then took the ball in his stride with about 4 Luton players around him to score the second at Blundell Park. Also thought he was very good at home to Salford before the defence decided to hit the self destruct button. The problem he's faced is that he's not really taken the starts he's had in the league very well and then he gets binned off for the next match. There's a player in there, I think we've seen him so sporadically though that nobody really knows if he's good enough.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with him not grabbing his chances. If he's going to stay here and make an impact he has to take the game by the throat when he's in the team.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 11, 2023, 3:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81

I think you've hit the nail on the head with him not grabbing his chances. If he's going to stay here and make an impact he has to take the game by the throat when he's in the team.

Think for anyone to do that they need a run of games, remember Hearns took ten games to get his first goal. As others have said we now have the perfect opportunity to play him and Lloyd together for the rest of the season to see how they get on. Would also like to see Khouri given a chance and let’s be honest he can’t do any worse than others in that role given their respective recent performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
April 12, 2023, 9:15am
Guest User
Quoted from Withnail

I think if anything their catchment area goes against them with Sheff Wed and Sheff United on their doorstep. No doubt Donny has its fair share of Leeds fans too.

Enough about them though...i won't dwell on the performance as its been done to death but what a great result (and cameo from Orsi and Lloyd) yesterday. Must admit I feared the worst after they scored first so went for a yomp up a couple of hills and coastal path in Dorset instead. Was still getting updates on phone and screamed like a madman when we equalised and scored the winner, much to the locals bemusement and my daughter's embarrassment.

Donny is primarily a Leeds supporting city but there are plenty of Blades and Wednesday fans about. Most of my neighbours in Thorne are Leeds supporters.

When we've lost to Donny it is therefore largely not remarked on. Many residents hate Donny because they beat Leeds in a third tier play-off final. Not like Leeds fans to bear grudges!

The big one for me personally was watching them go back to the second tier when they won with the last kick of the game at Brentford (I went home and then got a lift to see Town lose at Newport the next day) who then lost to Yeovil in the play-off final.  What an awful weekend that was. How times change.  

Donny made the Championship just after I moved back up here and played some really good stuff.  I have plenty of friends who support Donny and they weren't fooled by their early season wins. They quote a few stats. Eighteen nils for them this season and booed off at home on thirteen occasions.

Reply: 45 - 52
pontoonlew
April 12, 2023, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I think Orsi would really benefit from having some decent wingers around him, unfortunately we’ve not signed one of them in absolutely ages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
chipsandgravy
April 12, 2023, 2:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think Orsi would really benefit from having some decent wingers around him, unfortunately we’ve not signed one of them in absolutely ages.

Oh how I lament the days of decent wingers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
A Brace Of Tees
April 12, 2023, 3:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from pontoonlew

I'm not sure I agree with that. From what I've seen of him (including Monday), he's the sort of player who likes to pick up loose balls in and around the penalty area. Certainly not a traditional striker who gets on the end of crosses, so I don't think having decent wingers would make much difference to his game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Manchester Mariner
April 12, 2023, 4:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Oh how I lament the days of decent wingers!

I'll be forever nostalgic for the days of Dave Gilbert and Gary Childs.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.