Lost in Lincoln
April 11, 2023, 9:28am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7

I only saw the goal on the EFL highlights show last night but it would have been the save of the season if he`d stopped it. It was just a great strike.

He got a hand to it tbf.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 52
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,685
Gold Stars: 540
Whilst I think he's probably going to go down a bit in folklore for his cup efforts, going into the game yesterday I was convinced Orsi was done here.    Today I'm not sure.  Yeah it was a cameo appearance really but he showed in 10 minutes exactly what we lacked pretty much the whole game.

Movement, movement and a little bit more movement.  That winning goal came because he went across the backline, dragged defenders out of position which created space for both Clifton and Lloyd.  We didn't do that at any point whilst Taylor was on the pitch.

I think Taylor was fantastic last season and this season he's shown glimpses of what he can offer.  But Monday and Friday when he came on he looked to be a man who is at the end of his career, with too many injuries suffered and lacking any ability to influence the game.    To describe him as static is probably too kind, ineffectual is probably too gentle.   It's a shame when any player comes to the end of their career, especially in the case of Taylor when if it wasn't for injuries he may have another year or two in him.  But we're not a charity and we can't afford to carry passengers.

I'm not saying Orsi is the answer, because I don't know if he is.  But he showed exactly what we've missed, that's for Hurst and co. to decide if that missing element can be upgraded on.  

McAtee looks a shadow of last seasons players.  The reasons why have been done to death but quite simply, if you take last season out of it and imagine he's a player we signed (be it loan or permanent) in the summer with no previous knowledge - we would all be disappointed with what he's given.  Absolutely dragged us through games last season at times, but you can't live on histories forever.  

Getting a permanent deal for Lloyd is essential to me.  If he's paired with the right man he'll cause havoc for us.  I'd like to see him and Orsi start the remaining games of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
jamesgtfc
April 11, 2023, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
Getting a permanent deal for Lloyd is essential to me.  If he's paired with the right man he'll cause havoc for us.  I'd like to see him and Orsi start the remaining games of the season.

Poor January recruitment would upgrade to good if we could land him on a permanent this summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2023, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
Just a word on Doncaster. Some clubs never seem to make a mark on the football world and Doncaster are certainly one of those.

Despite having all the advantages some posters crave for - a central location, big catchment area, near several big cities, a newish stadium they have never set the footballing world alight, and they look on a downer again.

I think in the 60's they may have had a purple patch but I can't remember them doing anything of note.

It is true the last 20 years have been grim for us, but I always think we will somehow find better times.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
grimps
April 11, 2023, 10:40am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,145
Gold Stars: 46
Just a word on Doncaster. Some clubs never seem to make a mark on the football world and Doncaster are certainly one of those.

Despite having all the advantages some posters crave for - a central location, big catchment area, near several big cities, a newish stadium they have never set the footballing world alight, and they look on a downer again.

I think in the 60's they may have had a purple patch but I can't remember them doing anything of note.

It is true the last 20 years have been grim for us, but I always think we will somehow find better times.

Yeah I can remember them struggling to get 2000 fans in the 80s and 90s .
If we had their ground we would be in the championship now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
Son of Cod
April 11, 2023, 10:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196

They had that spell when they were in the second tier for five or so years around 2010 and they were averaging 10/11,000 for a few seasons. I guess that was their recent pomp.

One thing that struck me about going to the match yesterday was how crap it must be to have to do that walk from town and sit in a big stand that's about a third full week in week out. There must have been what...3.5/4,000 of them scattered around 11,000 seats in the home ends yesterday. It was bad. Blundell Park is far from perfect but I'd take it over the Eco-Power Stadium without question. If it wasn't an hour away from Grimsby/Cleethorpes and we didn't take loads of fans there, it'd be one of the worst away days in the division for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,685
Gold Stars: 540
Donny is such a weird place.

Huge catchment area, very well located and from the outside looking in has had a decent amount of investment in it too.

Yet sporting wise...

Football team peaked ten or so years ago with a spell in-and-out of the Championship but otherwise has floundered a bit in the fourth tier, occasionally dipping into the third.

Both codes of Rugby draw triple figures through the gates most home games.

Even the protest during the game (2 tennis balls) was poor!

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
ginnywings
April 11, 2023, 11:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Donny is a rugby town.

Their shirts look like a rugby top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 11:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
I've been critical of Orsi on here recently but it seems he had a good game yesterday and deserves credit. I want him to do that regularly before I'll be fully convinced but well done to him.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
sam gy
April 11, 2023, 11:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
I think for a player that has started just TWO league games and four FA Cup games, Orsi has had a pretty damn decent contribution to this season.

Deserves to start a couple of games in a row...he was obviously trusted enough in the Cup after we were initially left with no choice but to start him and he delivered, so why not in the league?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.