April 8, 2023, 11:31am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +99
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I am sure Hurst does not read the Fishy, thankfully. He doesn’t need to as experience tells me he gets all the feedback he needs from the Main Stand.

As I said on another post yes he got selection wrong yesterday but at HT we were in the game and after the break levelled the score.

Poor decision making on the pitch cost us yesterday as much as poor selection off it and the manager can’t be held responsible for players doing greedy, mentally lazy,  selfish and stupid things during the game.

Paul will have a plan for next season and if he can get the level of player he wants we’ll be competitive.

Thank you ,
you put in a sentence I could put into words myself you said it for me.."The manager can't be held responsible for etc!"
Next season is another  season !!
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 116
Poojah
April 8, 2023, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,787
Gold Stars: 1,515

It's not often I disagree whilst reading one of your posts, but I do with the bit about improving teams  year on year.

I think he swaps one set of players for another; there never seems to be a plan, or a playing style and if you are an attacking wide player don't even think of joining us unless you are a complete workaholic who is happy to sacrifice your skills for tracking back with the rest of the team. This is the basic reason for our shocking home form - everybody is thinking about defending.

On the other side of the coin he has provided some of the greatest ever days in our recent history.  What an enigma he is!

He is the man the owners trust, but he won't be our manager forever and I think he needs to really look at his methods and ethos and come to a conclusion about what exactly he is trying to achieve with how he wants the team to function.

You know in football you are either up or down and he can quickly go from hero to zero if home performances don't improve.

There’s plenty of evidence that, over time, Hurst improves teams and outcomes.

Hurst MkI

11/12 - 11th
12/13 - Play-off semi-final
13/14 - Play-off semi-final (screwed by ref)
14/15 - Play-off final (screwed by ref)
15/16 - Play-off winners

Hurst at Shrewsbury

16/17 - 18th (saved from relegation)
17/18 - Play-off final

Hurst MkII

20-21 - Relegated
21/22 - Play-off winners
22/23 - TBC

There’s no denying that this season’s home form has been dreadful. But Hurst has earned a shot at next season (which he will get) and, patterns suggest, will likely correct it.

I’m not happy with how this league season is looking like ending, but I remain confident and satisfied that we have the right man in the dugout, and at the very least the second best Town manager of my lifetime.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 116
HerveJosse
April 8, 2023, 12:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

There’s plenty of evidence that, over time, Hurst improves teams and outcomes.

Hurst MkI

11/12 - 11th
12/13 - Play-off semi-final
13/14 - Play-off semi-final (screwed by ref)
14/15 - Play-off final (screwed by ref)
15/16 - Play-off winners

Hurst at Shrewsbury

16/17 - 18th (saved from relegation)
17/18 - Play-off final

Hurst MkII

20-21 - Relegated
21/22 - Play-off winners
22/23 - TBC

There’s no denying that this season’s home form has been dreadful. But Hurst has earned a shot at next season (which he will get) and, patterns suggest, will likely correct it.

I’m not happy with how this league season is looking like ending, but I remain confident and satisfied that we have the right man in the dugout, and at the very least the second best Town manager of my lifetime.

I think you missed a couple of jobs out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 116
grimsby pete
April 8, 2023, 12:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,837
Gold Stars: 222
The question of do we want Hurst to continue as manager is irrelevant Jason and Andrew have faith in him and he will be here long term.

We have to hope with the extra cash in his back pocket from the cup run he is able to sign a few better quality players.

We are not too far away from being a team that is aiming for the play offs. Better decisions when marking at set pieces and someone who can score a few goals. Plus the ability to pass the ball better.

Not too much to ask so I expect us to be better equipped next season to challenge near the top rather than low mid table.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 116
Poojah
April 8, 2023, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think you missed a couple of jobs out

I included every job Hurst has managed managed into successive seasons since joining Town in 2011, ergo when given time he improves things.

I do t see his short-lived car crash at Ipswich in the Championship as overly relevant to us right now. He is proven at the levels immediately below.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 116
HerveJosse
April 8, 2023, 12:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

I included every job Hurst has managed managed into successive seasons since joining Town in 2011, ergo when given time he improves things.

I do t see his short-lived car crash at Ipswich in the Championship as overly relevant to us right now. He is proven at the levels immediately below.

Isn’t that self selecting because in most cases these days you only get a second season if you have improved the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 116
MuddyWaters
April 8, 2023, 12:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
The question of do we want Hurst to continue as manager is irrelevant Jason and Andrew have faith in him and he will be here long term.

We have to hope with the extra cash in his back pocket from the cup run he is able to sign a few better quality players.

We are not too far away from being a team that is aiming for the play offs. Better decisions when marking at set pieces and someone who can score a few goals. Plus the ability to pass the ball better.

Not too much to ask so I expect us to be better equipped next season to challenge near the top rather than low mid table.

With respect Pete, if you had sat through this season’s home league performances, you’d know that we are miles away. You’ve got to dominate at home and win at least half your home games. We’re on about 20%.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 116
Poojah
April 8, 2023, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Isn’t that self selecting because in most cases these days you only get a second season if you have improved the team

Not really. There’s no denying his Ipswich record was dismal, irrespective of any mitigating circumstances. Was the Championship a step too far for him? The only evidence available to us right now is ‘yes’.

But to my earlier point, I don’t think that reflects on his capability at the level we are currently at. He was sacked at Scunny not for footballing reasons but rather insubordination - he refused Swann’s request to Benjamin Button the squad. With hindsight, his football record at Glanford Park was perhaps a lot better than it seemed at the time.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 116
HarrogateMariner
April 8, 2023, 3:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
There is no question in my mind regarding weather Hurst should carry on as manager. Of course he should. Overall, the positives he has brought to this club far far out weigh the negatives. We are in a position we could only dream about a year ago. However, that doesn't mean he shouldn't come in for criticism.

I went yesterday. It was my younger sons first ever match. I wanted it to be a memorable positive experience for him. The reality was it was horrific. We were awful. The highlight of the day for him appears to be the dead whale on the beach, nothing to do with the football!!

Hurst has to take a massive amount of blame for the selection and tactics yesterday. No idea what the plan or way of playing was supposed to be. However, I don't want him sacked after one poor game, never mind how bad it was. Overall, I still think he has done a great job this season.

However fully understand what many others have said. The home form has to improve. It simply has not been good enough. When thinking about this, I remembered what a mate said at the Bradford match- all of Clifton's league goals have come away from home this season. And I think that says a fair bit about how we set up differently away from home. Most his goals come from making runs beyond the striker- we just don't play like this at home. Slightly off topic, but I also don't understand what Clifton has done wrong to drop out the team- great at Crawley and most creative player at Bradford. I know there is a case for trying new things at this stage of the season, but when your player of the season is under contract for next season, is the top scorer and you are struggling for goals, surely he has to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 116
buckstown
April 8, 2023, 3:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,240
Gold Stars: 80
No way we should Hurst and more importantly, no way we will. He's more than capable of building a team to get out of this division but given the resources available it might take time.
Interesting in a recent interview (maybe Hartlepool pre match?) he said he might need to be out of character to pay more in order to get the right people in. That  cheered me up a touch and I jumped to the conclusion that he has specific targets and is planning to get them.
I do think he needs to spend an hour with Ben Stokes who when talking about bazball said something along the lines of "stop thinking were in the business of cricket, we're in the business of entertainment. Also, never let the fear of losing outweigh the joy of winning"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 116
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Hurst I trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.