arryarryarry
April 8, 2023, 2:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,046
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm now calming down after today's terrible performance.

Let's face it we aren't getting relegated or promoted.

He probably learnt more about the players today than if he had played our strongest team from the start.

In Hurst I trust.

Frigging hell, if he doesn't know his players by this time of a season he should give up.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 116
RichMariner
April 8, 2023, 4:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
Hurst is a steady pair of hands for 1878. They need that while they focus on improving things off the pitch.

In this day and age, a football club can't sustain success unless everything is in place off the pitch. So, while they might not broadcast it, I think they will accept consolidation and small improvements each year while they deliver the new training facility, balance the books, etc.

Even if we finish 17th or 18th this season, with the cup run considered, it's been an acceptable return to FL football following a year in non-league (although I accept not everyone will agree with this).

The only way I can see Hurst being in any danger of losing his job next season is if we're in the bottom four or five in Oct/Nov. This wouldn't represent any sort of improvement.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 116
lukeo
April 8, 2023, 6:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
I'm currently still behind PH and the team. If we go the rest of the season without a win then I'd be reconsidering. If we finish with a couple wins, draws, loses etc then I'm happy to see what happens in the summer. I just hope he changes the way he sets up at home games, I still can't believe the starting XI yesterday against 2nd bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 116
chaos33
April 8, 2023, 6:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
I wouldn’t change the management, but I’d like to see the management evolve - the home record is dreadful and must indicate in stats ten feet high that, tactically, there needs to be a rethink and a more progressive, positive approach generally. I also think it’s clear that we need a serious upgrade on about half a dozen players.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 116
gtfc_chris
April 8, 2023, 6:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from TheFryingSquad

His record of improving teams year on year is unreal, really?  His record of his teams falling away at the business end of the season is very real I’m afraid.

Never thought about it this way before in honesty, should have seen this last season when we fell right away at the business end of the season...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 116
Northbank Mariner
April 8, 2023, 6:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
I'm finding increasingly hard to trust in Hurst now, he's becoming the league 2 tinkermsn. He's trying to out think the opposition manager too much and losing any identity we may have had in the process, almost like he's clutching at straws now.
Maybe if he focused on our style of play ( a la being a good counter attaching team away from home) rather than worry about the opposition I'd not be so sceptical.
Its all conjecture as I don't see S&P getting rid anytime soon and we have to accept what we get in Hurst is what we have...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 116
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2023, 7:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,009
Gold Stars: 228
I’m supportive, though the selection yesterday was a dumb one considering the context of the attendance, opposition and opportunity to just get over that 50 point mark.

What has been clear for ages about GTFC is that the budget the manager and a few of his predecessors have had to work with has not been good enough to recruit the level of player who can stay fit we need and most expect.

I suspect that this close season Hurst will have funds ahead of the level he’s had since he came to the club on his first occasion which should enable a different level of recruitment especially up front and a more attacking style of play.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 116
Poojah
April 8, 2023, 8:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,787
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from TheFryingSquad

His record of improving teams year on year is unreal, really?  His record of his teams falling away at the business end of the season is very real I’m afraid.

Ok then, should we sack him?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 116
denni266
April 8, 2023, 8:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Dont ever trust in anyone in life  And if you are going to mess about with the team, dont do it in front of the paying fans. They have paid good money to see the best that can be put out on the pitch not the fringe etc players and silly formations.   And why after a season do you need to see how and what players can do ,That is for behind closed doors games. And you should know your players well before the back end of a season . We may improve next season but again its the next season  the next window etc etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 116
TheFryingSquad
April 8, 2023, 8:29am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Never thought about it this way before in honesty, should have seen this last season when we fell right away at the business end of the season...

You are correct of course, 11 losses, 1 draw and 2 wins from 14 consecutive games, impressive stuff.  Thankfully Wrexham, Notts County and Solihull all managed to implode in the play-offs.  I have no issue with you holding an opposing view to mine and of course yes, selective use of statistics can be misleading, but reality is this:  Paul Hurst has had one single period during a managerial career, dating back to 2013 as a sole manager, where he managed a club outside of the bottom tier/non-league, with any glimmer of consistency.  That of course was Shrewsbury, where predictably they fell away when it really mattered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 116
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Hurst I trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.