Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +102
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Poojah

Ok then, should we sack him?

NO...!!
We have just this season got back into League 2, Was we / I expecting miracles and go up into League 1 in one season NO I don't think so.
The FA Cup run proved "Town" can pull it out the bag and shock us and rest of the Football leagues.. Brilliant to be apart of it
and watch.
BUT  then we have had a couple of "Clangers" too yesterday Hartlepool and also the Swindon game comes to mind watching that game then "Oh whats the ref doing on the floor?" ..yes that game!!
So yes put abit faith in PH, If he does read "The Fishy " then hopefully He is thick skinned enough to take the criticism and also take on board the positive ideas put across, try him there, put so and so on earlier / give him a full game etc.
IF / They fit enough ready to play etc...
Again dare i say before we finish witch hunting the manager.
"Funny old game Football !!"
Lets see what happens  against Doncaster Rovers Monday
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 116
DB
April 8, 2023, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from GrimRob
If we had got knocked out at Cambridge or Luton it would be a very different position to what we're in, but should it be? The league season is the bread and butter. PH is a cautious manager and has never won automatic promotion at any club (I think). He does enough to keep his job. It's very unlikely we get relegated with him. He'll obviously be staying and getting the summer to recruit but I have the horrible feeling that we'll end up in much the same league position next year. Fans will drift away and we'll get sucked downwards again. The next few months are massive. Big decisions to make for all concerned.

I'm with you on this. I think the verbal instructions to Hurst by 1878 was thank you for getting us into league 2, now make sure we stay there. As you put it the summer months are critical to getting the right signings in and getting rid of the deadwood. Hurst admitted to JT that his budget has increased so there is no reason for him not to spend the cash, wisely.

The aim next season must be in the top 3 or playoffs minimum. There is no excuse for this not to happen next season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 116
April 8, 2023, 10:26am
Guest User
Quoted from TheFryingSquad

His record of improving teams year on year is unreal, really?  His record of his teams falling away at the business end of the season is very real I’m afraid.

Short memory?

Reply: 32 - 116
TheFryingSquad
April 8, 2023, 10:28am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Though they were consulted Fenty appointed Hurst when he came back, 1878 didn’t own the club at the time.

This is how I recall it too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 116
lew chaterleys lover
April 8, 2023, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,773
Gold Stars: 237
It's actually quite difficult to pin down an opinion on Hurst to be fair. Just when things seem to be on the slide he manages to turn it round again. A few weeks ago all looked rosy with those 2 wins prior to the Brighton game and a high league finish beckoned.

I think for all our sakes he needs to galvanise the team again, though not a disaster as such if we again finish 18th or thereabouts it will just reinforce outside beliefs that we are a yo yo club between league 2 lower end and the NL which will be a great shame.

I think going by his interviews last week the penny has finally dropped that you have to pay the wages good players command even in league 2, so let's hope he can get the quality in we need.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 116
HertsGTFC

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,007
Gold Stars: 228

NO...!!
We have just this season got back into League 2, Was we / I expecting miracles and go up into League 1 in one season NO I don't think so.
The FA Cup run proved "Town" can pull it out the bag and shock us and rest of the Football leagues.. Brilliant to be apart of it
and watch.
BUT  then we have had a couple of "Clangers" too yesterday Hartlepool and also the Swindon game comes to mind watching that game then "Oh whats the ref doing on the floor?" ..yes that game!!
So yes put abit faith in PH, If he does read "The Fishy " then hopefully He is thick skinned enough to take the criticism and also take on board the positive ideas put across, try him there, put so and so on earlier / give him a full game etc.
IF / They fit enough ready to play etc...
Again dare i say before we finish witch hunting the manager.
"Funny old game Football !!"
Lets see what happens  against Doncaster Rovers Monday
UTM

I am sure Hurst does not read the Fishy, thankfully. He doesn’t need to as experience tells me he gets all the feedback he needs from the Main Stand.

As I said on another post yes he got selection wrong yesterday but at HT we were in the game and after the break levelled the score.

Poor decision making on the pitch cost us yesterday as much as poor selection off it and the manager can’t be held responsible for players doing greedy, mentally lazy,  selfish and stupid things during the game.

Paul will have a plan for next season and if he can get the level of player he wants we’ll be competitive.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 116
TwoLeftFeet
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Feel that Hurst has done a great job since he's come back, tho no one's immune from criticism when it's due and yesterday was a shocker..

I expect to at least be entertained in some of the home games and this season has been a real chore to go to BP most weeks..

Was hoping after the cup run the most important thing was to finish the season strongly with the home games especially, well four left to go at home to put things right..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 116
GrimRob
April 8, 2023, 10:41am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,450
Gold Stars: 115
We're not a million miles off. Stick to what we're doing away from home. The lack of home wins is oft mentioned, but we've only lost 6 at home, same as clubs in the playoffs. We draw too many home. So we obviously need to chance our arm a bit more. I would like to see a genuine no 9 signed ready for pre season, something I don't think Hurst has managed in this spell. We have to score more goals at home. Get BP rocking and the confidence will spill over into away games too.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 116
MuddyWaters
April 8, 2023, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I am sure Hurst does not read the Fishy, thankfully. He doesn’t need to as experience tells me he gets all the feedback he needs from the Main Stand.

As I said on another post yes he got selection wrong yesterday but at HT we were in the game and after the break levelled the score.

Poor decision making on the pitch cost us yesterday as much as poor selection off it and the manager can’t be held responsible for players doing greedy, mentally lazy,  selfish and stupid things during the game.

Paul will have a plan for next season and if he can get the level of player he wants we’ll be competitive.

I’ve said it all season and I’ll say it again. Our off the ball running is woeful. If you stick either Hunt or Morris in the team, you can’t complain about them passing backwards or sideways because the movement in front of them is non existent.

The only hope is that Lloyd or Taylor can take the ball to feet and then play in the wingers/wing backs but it’s so predictable. There’s only graft about us, no guile. It maybe works when teams come on to us but it’s an awful watch.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 116
Bigdog
April 8, 2023, 11:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GrimRob
If we had got knocked out at Cambridge or Luton it would be a very different position to what we're in, but should it be? The league season is the bread and butter. PH is a cautious manager and has never won automatic promotion at any club (I think). He does enough to keep his job. It's very unlikely we get relegated with him. He'll obviously be staying and getting the summer to recruit but I have the horrible feeling that we'll end up in much the same league position next year. Fans will drift away and we'll get sucked downwards again. The next few months are massive. Big decisions to make for all concerned.

Workmanlike and stubborn performances have squeezed out enough points to stay up. If you take away the decent start we had, we've been nigh on in relegation form since. Very rarely have our performances in the league entertained me this season, this has to change to ensure club income levels are maintained or else it's another downward spiral.

There's evidence to suggest that PH can get us relegated with a poor squad and promoted with a half decent one. One miraculous play off campaign apart, Hurst generally achieves a finishing position in the league similar to the quality of the squad he's got. His playing style is horrendous if you want to be entertained and only works from a fan's perspective if the goal of promotion is achieved at the end of the season, or else is it worth sitting through and paying for mind numbing game after mind numbing game?

Say it every summer, but it's a big transfer window coming up. Hopefully PH gets it right or else 1878 are going to have a big decision to make this time next year. Do I trust Hurst enough to get it right? Possibly not. Do I trust him enough to not get us relegated? Yes. Enough trust to push us forward as a club on the pitch with a chance of promotion? I'm wavering, but my hope and goodwill will give him another season before both will begin to wane if next season pans out like this one..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 116
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Hurst I trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.