promotion plaice
December 7, 2022, 12:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

Just out on the GTFC Official site:

https://gtfc.co.uk/supporters-survey-key-findings/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
December 7, 2022, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,979
Gold Stars: 361
The one that surprises me there is the high level of support for a ‘stadium naming sponsor’.
I was thinking only recently that we still have a traditional, geographical, historically significant name and how that contributes to our identity. I don’t know what proportion of clubs in the EFL still retain such a stadium name, but I would personally hate it if we were saddled with a commercially naff name ‘the Poundland stadium’ or the ‘DG motors arena’ or some such.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
Barrattstander
December 7, 2022, 4:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +875
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from chaos33
The one that surprises me there is the high level of support for a ‘stadium naming sponsor’.
I was thinking only recently that we still have a traditional, geographical, historically significant name and how that contributes to our identity. I don’t know what proportion of clubs in the EFL still retain such a stadium name, but I would personally hate it if we were saddled with a commercially naff name ‘the Poundland stadium’ or the ‘DG motors arena’ or some such.

Here in York, City fans still bow their heads in shame at any mention of 'Kit-Kat Crescent'.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
Theimperialcoroner
December 7, 2022, 4:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,260
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from chaos33

I think they worded it such a way as it would be called something like Blundell Park sponsored by Dong Energy or the like.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
crusty ole pie
December 7, 2022, 4:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Very well presented
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
jamesgtfc
December 7, 2022, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
I'm surprised there were 1600 responses given how long it was. I personally didn't do it due to the length.

BP will always be BP to us so if we can get some revenue and it isn't a laughing stock sponsor like Poundland or Home Bargains, why not? Man Utd have struggled to get a sponsor for Old Trafford on the basis that it will still be Old Trafford to everyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 7, 2022, 6:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Barrattstander

Here in York, City fans still bow their heads in shame at any mention of 'Kit-Kat Crescent'.

Bow their heads?

I’d be giving Kit-Kat Crescent two fingers personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
Northbank Mariner
December 7, 2022, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172

Bow their heads?

I’d be giving Kit-Kat Crescent two fingers personally.

Used to go out with a lass who's nickname was "kitkat"...I'll leave it there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
jamesgtfc
December 7, 2022, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Was she the two fingered or four fingered version?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
LH
December 7, 2022, 7:55pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,577
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It was because if you covered her back in foil and rubbed on it her name would appear.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
Chrisblor
December 7, 2022, 8:29pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,939
Gold Stars: 238
I'm really not arsed if they slap a sponsor's name on the stadium - i'll still be calling it Blundell Park rather than the Orsted Arena or whatever.

Going back to the main findings, I thought the key findings document was really poorly put together (much like the survey itself) - some of the summaries are very poorly explained, and there's things like "WOMEN'S TEAM" under a big red cross with zero elaboration as to whether that means supporters generally dislike the existence of Grimsby Town Women, or are just unhappy about the way the club covers their games (late and sporadic updates on the OS / inconsistent and sometimes no live updates on twitter etc).

If the 'Fan Experience Company' are responsible for both the original overly long survey as well as the shoddy key findings document I certainly wouldn't be bothering to commission them again if I was running the club!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 7, 2022, 9:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

When I played rugby my nickname was KitKat due to breaking my fingers most games.

It soon became KitKat chunky!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
toontown
December 7, 2022, 10:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Chrisblor
I'm really not arsed if they slap a sponsor's name on the stadium - i'll still be calling it Blundell Park rather than the Orsted Arena or whatever.

Going back to the main findings, I thought the key findings document was really poorly put together (much like the survey itself) - some of the summaries are very poorly explained, and there's things like "WOMEN'S TEAM" under a big red cross with zero elaboration as to whether that means supporters generally dislike the existence of Grimsby Town Women, or are just unhappy about the way the club covers their games (late and sporadic updates on the OS / inconsistent and sometimes no live updates on twitter etc).

If the 'Fan Experience Company' are responsible for both the original overly long survey as well as the shoddy key findings document I certainly wouldn't be bothering to commission them again if I was running the club!

Yeah I thought some aspects of the summary was really poor, including the exact point you mention. I would assume that the information passed to the club was far more useful but I wouldn't take it for granted!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
DB
December 8, 2022, 6:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Chrisblor

I agree with you, it was a poor survey with poorly presented results. I don't know what they showed the club but for us it was a very amateur attempt at best from what appears to be a professional company. It could have been done in house, saved money and been just the same. Next year they should use a more professional outfit.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 41
HertsGTFC
December 8, 2022, 6:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DB

I agree with you, it was a poor survey with poorly presented results. I don't know what they showed the club but for us it was a very amateur attempt at best from what appears to be a professional company. It could have been done in house, saved money and been just the same. Next year they should use a more professional outfit.

What exactly did you expect? The survey was a bit long winded I agree but the results look pretty much like many insight reports that you’d see in several sectors which is in reality what the exercise is.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
aldi_01
December 8, 2022, 6:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I guess for some, they’ve likely never seen data analysis look like that or perhaps expected different. There could be a plethora of reasons why.

The survey was long winded but the results aren’t too far away from what I expected.

Perhaps people could approach the trust and share their views on the survey instead of just moaning on here or social media? Fans asked for a voice…

As for stadium naming rights, call the ground what the intercourse you want if it brings in cash. We’ll always call it BP, much like fans of every other club who’s sold the naming rights.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
Abdul19
December 8, 2022, 8:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,577
Gold Stars: 218
Ideally we'd sell the rights to BP.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 41
ska face
December 8, 2022, 9:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
I can’t believe there are people who have racked up thousands and thousands of posts on here over a period of years, but couldn’t hack spending 20 mins filling in a survey. But that’s just me…

“No singing section” was an interesting response but one I’d agree with. You can’t force it and end up with a contrived group of 100 kids waving banners and flags when we’re 3 down in the middle of February.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
Chrisblor
December 8, 2022, 9:45am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,939
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from ska face
I can’t believe there are people who have racked up thousands and thousands of posts on here over a period of years, but couldn’t hack spending 20 mins filling in a survey. But that’s just me…

“No singing section” was an interesting response but one I’d agree with. You can’t force it and end up with a contrived group of 100 kids waving banners and flags when we’re 3 down in the middle of February.

It took closer to 50 minutes for me mainly owing to the large number of open questions where you could write quite detailed feedback (absolutely fine), but also because it was full of sections which weren't relevant to certain sets of supporters (i.e. if I sit in the upper findus then why am I being asked about catering facilities in other parts of the ground, or if I never use the commercial facilities then why am I being asked questions which are only relevant to those that do) which could have been skipped with a bit of basic logic ("if Q6 answer 'no', skip to next page") added into the survey. It was also an issue of expectation management - the club's social media posts and website article suggested it would take about 10 minutes to complete, only for most users to find it was taking far longer than that once they'd begun completing it and there was no way to save your responses so you could return and pick up where you left off at a later date, but that’s just me…

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
diehardmariner
December 8, 2022, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,654
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ska face

I think that's a fair point.  I found the survey a pain in the bottom but probably spent more time grumbling about it than completing it.  

Little bit disappointed with the report if I'm honest, a lot of 'many of you said...'.  Well how many?  

Truth be told I'm always slightly sceptical of surveys.  It's very easy to let them tell the story you want it to tell and without the full answers it does feel like it lacks a lot of transparency.  Don't particularly understand the viewpoint that the volume of responses means they can't share everything.  The survey asked a lot of questions, the report doesn't reflect that at all.  

Reluctant to grumble at the club regards this as it looks like they've commissioned an outfit to help but the support has been quite amateurish.  Learning curve I guess...Can't knock the club for looking to bring in those who supposedly know their stuff rather than try do everything in-house on the cheap.  

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
MuddyWaters
December 8, 2022, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think that's a fair point.  I found the survey a pain in the bottom but probably spent more time grumbling about it than completing it.  

Little bit disappointed with the report if I'm honest, a lot of 'many of you said...'.  Well how many?  

Truth be told I'm always slightly sceptical of surveys.  It's very easy to let them tell the story you want it to tell and without the full answers it does feel like it lacks a lot of transparency.  Don't particularly understand the viewpoint that the volume of responses means they can't share everything.  The survey asked a lot of questions, the report doesn't reflect that at all.  

Reluctant to grumble at the club regards this as it looks like they've commissioned an outfit to help but the support has been quite amateurish.  Learning curve I guess...Can't knock the club for looking to bring in those who supposedly know their stuff rather than try do everything in-house on the cheap.  

The survey itself was unnecessarily long-winded, however I did it, am not particularly surprised with its' findings but wonder why they didn't mostly re-run the previous one which I believe was done in-house (and better!).
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
ska face
December 8, 2022, 10:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
Yeah I’d be more interested in what they’re planning to do with the responses. Don’t think there’s anything particularly earth shattering that came back, but now there’s a Head of Ops in post you’d hope there’s someone in the building with an idea about what can be done.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
OddShapedBalls
December 8, 2022, 10:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Barrattstander

I'm quite perversely looking forwards to seeing the 'Cillit Bang Bowl' erected down Freemo.  In all honesty it's difficult for clubs to turn down money, if there's any half decent offer it needs to be seriously considered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
toontown
December 8, 2022, 12:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Chrisblor

It took closer to 50 minutes for me mainly owing to the large number of open questions where you could write quite detailed feedback (absolutely fine), but also because it was full of sections which weren't relevant to certain sets of supporters (i.e. if I sit in the upper findus then why am I being asked about catering facilities in other parts of the ground, or if I never use the commercial facilities then why am I being asked questions which are only relevant to those that do) which could have been skipped with a bit of basic logic ("if Q6 answer 'no', skip to next page") added into the survey. It was also an issue of expectation management - the club's social media posts and website article suggested it would take about 10 minutes to complete, only for most users to find it was taking far longer than that once they'd begun completing it and there was no way to save your responses so you could return and pick up where you left off at a later date, but that’s just me…

Yeah, again I have to agree. Poor interactive logic, but also it didn't allow further expansion of some answers when I did want to expand.
The long time taken to complete it isn't bad in itself but I did it at a time when I could take longer than the suggested time span, if I hadn't and had to give up and start again i might not have done it again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
FishOutOfWater
December 8, 2022, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from chaos33

Got to say that was a surprise to me too, along with the seemingly very little support for a dedicated singing area
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 41
Bristol Mariner
December 8, 2022, 1:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Xmas bumper pack - 4 bars

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 8, 2022, 3:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Got to say that was a surprise to me too, along with the seemingly very little support for a dedicated singing area

Not looked too closely at the details but does this reflect the fact that 75% of responses were from supporters who had been going for over 20 years suggesting that maybe this group were the ones not enthusiastic about a designated singing section? I’m a Upper Findus man now but spent most home matches in the early 70’s in the Pontoon singing my heart out ( remember when the wooden support fence halfway up the Pontoon collapsed on Good Friday in 71 I think v Scunny?). I know we need to improve acoustics coming out the Pontoon but to me it’s part of the football fans development to go through the singing and jumping up and down with your mates. Works very well at Lincoln I believe and to me would help improve what is often a pretty dour atmosphere at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
FishOutOfWater
December 8, 2022, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not looked too closely at the details but does this reflect the fact that 75% of responses were from supporters who had been going for over 20 years suggesting that maybe this group were the ones not enthusiastic about a designated singing section? I’m a Upper Findus man now but spent most home matches in the early 70’s in the Pontoon singing my heart out ( remember when the wooden support fence halfway up the Pontoon collapsed on Good Friday in 71 I think v Scunny?). I know we need to improve acoustics coming out the Pontoon but to me it’s part of the football fans development to go through the singing and jumping up and down with your mates. Works very well at Lincoln I believe and to me would help improve what is often a pretty dour atmosphere at BP.

Been in the Pontoon since I was young ( sounds a bit like a chant I join in on 😉 ) and I'm still there trying to get things going with a few outbursts of Maaarrrinerrrs etc

I realise not everyone wants to participate but when I look back on those early days when we'd all gather in there to sing our hearts out (admittedly while it was standing & not seated) and how now most of those around me seem content to just be spectators and nothing else, the atmosphere has been severely dampened

Each to their own but I know even though I've been going in there for nigh on 60 years, I'll keep on singing until my days supporting Town come to an end  🤗
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 41
moosey_club
December 8, 2022, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
I thought the "singing section" exists in the Harrington St end of the Pontoon already ??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
pizzzza
December 8, 2022, 6:27pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
One that I do not think had been mentioned in this thread yet is that the badge change is in the 'X' column in the page about the new owners. Strange that in this survey this is marked as a negative when only a few months ago the poll to actually decide on the badge change was a 'yes'.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 8, 2022, 6:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from pizzzza
One that I do not think had been mentioned in this thread yet is that the badge change is in the 'X' column in the page about the new owners. Strange that in this survey this is marked as a negative when only a few months ago the poll to actually decide on the badge change was a 'yes'.

Interesting.

Dressed in my tin foil hat for warmth, I’m just sitting here thinking, Russian interference in the original poll?

Part of Putin’s plan to weaken the resolve on England’s eastern seaboard?

Stalin was born in 1878 too!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
aldi_01
December 9, 2022, 6:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Been in the Pontoon since I was young ( sounds a bit like a chant I join in on 😉 ) and I'm still there trying to get things going with a few outbursts of Maaarrrinerrrs etc

I realise not everyone wants to participate but when I look back on those early days when we'd all gather in there to sing our hearts out (admittedly while it was standing & not seated) and how now most of those around me seem content to just be spectators and nothing else, the atmosphere has been severely dampened

Each to their own but I know even though I've been going in there for nigh on 60 years, I'll keep on singing until my days supporting Town come to an end  🤗

The singing section thing is an odd one. I see the point but it’s not for me, however, I wouldn’t be some moan bottom if we had one. Clubs have tried to create ultras type groups which again, is great but ultras are much more than just some blokes singing and jumping up and down.

There’s also the issue with people who tut or shake their heads etc, ya know the types…boring illegitimates. There’s two blokes near me, seem like nice enough guys but they’ve never seen the end and one of them in particular barely makes a murmer all game let alone celebrate a goal properly.

The positive with a designated singing section is that people know before they buy a ticket in there so if that’s not their thing, don’t get the ticket.

I’m with Ska though, they also run the risk of looking a bit excrement and a crap midweek game with zero fornicator there when you’re 3-0 down…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
lukeo
December 9, 2022, 7:04am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Regards a singing section...
People have their own views and opinions on this but I'd love to see us adopt one. Some people find it cheesey but I like the ones like Accrington, Lincoln, Exeter etc.
I was a regular in the top right of the pontoon, we tried our best to create an atmosphere back in the day. Rich Broadley and his trumpet, Gilly or Sam with his drum... back then the atmosphere was better but still not as good as it could and should be. But even then we had people throw abuse and hate us for trying to create an atmosphere.
For me, the people that do want this to happen need to take the initiative themselves and designate somewhere and spread the word (top right of the pontoon is the obvious place) I'm not saying create an 'ultras' section like Accrington but get a bit of something there to make people aware of the area and get the fans who want to sing and jump around, want to be in that section and get behind the lads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
aldi_01
December 9, 2022, 7:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
People have their own views and opinions on this but I'd love to see us adopt one. Some people find it cheesey but I like the ones like Accrington, Lincoln, Exeter etc.
I was a regular in the top right of the pontoon, we tried our best to create an atmosphere back in the day. Rich Broadley and his trumpet, Gilly or Sam with his drum... back then the atmosphere was better but still not as good as it could and should be. But even then we had people throw abuse and hate us for trying to create an atmosphere.
For me, the people that do want this to happen need to take the initiative themselves and designate somewhere and spread the word (top right of the pontoon is the obvious place) I'm not saying create an 'ultras' section like Accrington but get a bit of something there to make people aware of the area and get the fans who want to sing and jump around, want to be in that section and get behind the lads.

The abuse thing has always baffled me, I often wondered if it was just a town thing or if it happened at other clubs. I guess there’s also an argument to say that it could’ve been caused by the state of the club? I dunno.

Ironically, a real ultras movement would probably benefit the community; we’ve a government unwilling to help its people, ultras groups do plenty of community work. I know people will point to violence and criminality but if you go past Juve, Lazio and Inter, there’s plenty doing some mega work locally. Same in Germany so it is doable but as you say, there’s always some that just can’t grasp it so hurl abuse at it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
diehardmariner
December 9, 2022, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
40% of those completing the survey weren't opposed to the singing section.  You'll have to forgive me for not remembering the exact question but I'm going to take that as 40% who would favour one rather than some sitting on the fence, either way impartiality is never a reason to not do something.

That 40% equates to 640 who completed the survey.

Playing loose and fast with the figures here but we've got, what, average home attendance of 6000 this season?  If we take the 1600 completed surveys as a representation of the fan base overall then there's 2400 fans sat in the ground each week who want a signing section.  

That's a big number of people with a desire to create something, the club should capitalise on that.  Now of course not everyone in that 2400 figure will want to actively be part of the singing section but it's a big enough number to be going at.  Perhaps simplistic but is this not an opportunity to look at getting a standing section in one of the corners to facilitate that?  Or even mark out that corner in the Main/away end as one?  That I'm aware it's not open to season ticket sales (so could even be loosely enforced now as a trial with an option for people to transfer existing tickets into it) and would also be the best placed position in the ground for noise to carry.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
louth_in_the_south
December 9, 2022, 3:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Can I just ask why anyone would be opposed to a singing section inside a football ground?!

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
ginnywings
December 9, 2022, 4:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It always boils down to the same thing. If there is excitement on the pitch, then the noise levels and singing go up, especially if there is a decent away fan contingent. With the best will in the world, the footy at BP this season has been average to poor, with only one league win so far.

You cannot engineer an atmosphere in my opinion. It's spontaneous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
diehardmariner
December 9, 2022, 4:15pm
Vodka Drinker
I agree ginny, it can't be forced.

But equally so it's almost daft to have those who want to be incredibly vocal spread around the ground with their noise effectively falling on deaf ears.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
pen penfras
December 9, 2022, 6:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner
40% of those completing the survey weren't opposed to the singing section.  You'll have to forgive me for not remembering the exact question but I'm going to take that as 40% who would favour one rather than some sitting on the fence, either way impartiality is never a reason to not do something.

That 40% equates to 640 who completed the survey.

Playing loose and fast with the figures here but we've got, what, average home attendance of 6000 this season?  If we take the 1600 completed surveys as a representation of the fan base overall then there's 2400 fans sat in the ground each week who want a signing section.  

That's a big number of people with a desire to create something, the club should capitalise on that.  Now of course not everyone in that 2400 figure will want to actively be part of the singing section but it's a big enough number to be going at.  Perhaps simplistic but is this not an opportunity to look at getting a standing section in one of the corners to facilitate that?  Or even mark out that corner in the Main/away end as one?  That I'm aware it's not open to season ticket sales (so could even be loosely enforced now as a trial with an option for people to transfer existing tickets into it) and would also be the best placed position in the ground for noise to carry.

It's irrelevant how many 40% equates to if 60% are actually against it, they're larger. The bigger question is why are people opposed to a singing section? I can't think of a single reason. Nobody is forcing anybody to sing

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Madeleymariner
December 10, 2022, 1:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
I have no issues with a singing section not being there that often, but as things are nowadays to create one you would need to turf out season ticket holders who may have been in that area for years. Suppose the obvious place to set one up would be The Osmond corner where there aren't any ST holders and the acoustics are good. But of course that could create other problems at bigger games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
diehardmariner
December 13, 2022, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

It's irrelevant how many 40% equates to if 60% are actually against it, they're larger. The bigger question is why are people opposed to a singing section? I can't think of a single reason. Nobody is forcing anybody to sing

I don't think it is irrelevant.  It's a significant number of people who actively want to see or do something.  Even more so because I think the key to the 60% is all in the question.  I can't remember the exact wording but I'm sure it was something like 'Do you want a singing section at BP?' with a Yes/No answer.  That's not enough to gauge those who aren't really arsed either way.  

I'm absolutely speculating but, very much like yourself, can't think of a single reason why anyone would say be against a singing section.  It makes no sense at all.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that 60% just aren't bothered either way.  

Do I want something is different to asking if I'm opposed to it.  
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 41
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 13, 2022, 6:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from lukeo

Great post luke.

Only thing I would say is that the top right isn’t the ideal spot. Personally, in the pontoon, the middle section for me would be the best place. The sound would spread equally in there instead of it meandering across or ultimately being ‘lost’ over the railway track and out to sea (and the openness of the stand doesn’t help either!)

If, IF, we were to permanently have the osmond corner, then this would be the perfect area as the acoustics are great and being next to the away fans always adds that bit extra

Those that oppose singing at football matches amhas always, and will continue to baffle me. I wonder what Rob Scott would say about it

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Supporters Survey: Key Findings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.