Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 8, 2022, 6:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from pizzzza
One that I do not think had been mentioned in this thread yet is that the badge change is in the 'X' column in the page about the new owners. Strange that in this survey this is marked as a negative when only a few months ago the poll to actually decide on the badge change was a 'yes'.

Interesting.

Dressed in my tin foil hat for warmth, I’m just sitting here thinking, Russian interference in the original poll?

Part of Putin’s plan to weaken the resolve on England’s eastern seaboard?

Stalin was born in 1878 too!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
aldi_01
December 9, 2022, 6:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Been in the Pontoon since I was young ( sounds a bit like a chant I join in on 😉 ) and I'm still there trying to get things going with a few outbursts of Maaarrrinerrrs etc

I realise not everyone wants to participate but when I look back on those early days when we'd all gather in there to sing our hearts out (admittedly while it was standing & not seated) and how now most of those around me seem content to just be spectators and nothing else, the atmosphere has been severely dampened

Each to their own but I know even though I've been going in there for nigh on 60 years, I'll keep on singing until my days supporting Town come to an end  🤗

The singing section thing is an odd one. I see the point but it’s not for me, however, I wouldn’t be some moan bottom if we had one. Clubs have tried to create ultras type groups which again, is great but ultras are much more than just some blokes singing and jumping up and down.

There’s also the issue with people who tut or shake their heads etc, ya know the types…boring illegitimates. There’s two blokes near me, seem like nice enough guys but they’ve never seen the end and one of them in particular barely makes a murmer all game let alone celebrate a goal properly.

The positive with a designated singing section is that people know before they buy a ticket in there so if that’s not their thing, don’t get the ticket.

I’m with Ska though, they also run the risk of looking a bit excrement and a crap midweek game with zero fornicator there when you’re 3-0 down…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
lukeo
December 9, 2022, 7:04am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Regards a singing section...
People have their own views and opinions on this but I'd love to see us adopt one. Some people find it cheesey but I like the ones like Accrington, Lincoln, Exeter etc.
I was a regular in the top right of the pontoon, we tried our best to create an atmosphere back in the day. Rich Broadley and his trumpet, Gilly or Sam with his drum... back then the atmosphere was better but still not as good as it could and should be. But even then we had people throw abuse and hate us for trying to create an atmosphere.
For me, the people that do want this to happen need to take the initiative themselves and designate somewhere and spread the word (top right of the pontoon is the obvious place) I'm not saying create an 'ultras' section like Accrington but get a bit of something there to make people aware of the area and get the fans who want to sing and jump around, want to be in that section and get behind the lads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
aldi_01
December 9, 2022, 7:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from lukeo
Regards a singing section...
People have their own views and opinions on this but I'd love to see us adopt one. Some people find it cheesey but I like the ones like Accrington, Lincoln, Exeter etc.
I was a regular in the top right of the pontoon, we tried our best to create an atmosphere back in the day. Rich Broadley and his trumpet, Gilly or Sam with his drum... back then the atmosphere was better but still not as good as it could and should be. But even then we had people throw abuse and hate us for trying to create an atmosphere.
For me, the people that do want this to happen need to take the initiative themselves and designate somewhere and spread the word (top right of the pontoon is the obvious place) I'm not saying create an 'ultras' section like Accrington but get a bit of something there to make people aware of the area and get the fans who want to sing and jump around, want to be in that section and get behind the lads.

The abuse thing has always baffled me, I often wondered if it was just a town thing or if it happened at other clubs. I guess there’s also an argument to say that it could’ve been caused by the state of the club? I dunno.

Ironically, a real ultras movement would probably benefit the community; we’ve a government unwilling to help its people, ultras groups do plenty of community work. I know people will point to violence and criminality but if you go past Juve, Lazio and Inter, there’s plenty doing some mega work locally. Same in Germany so it is doable but as you say, there’s always some that just can’t grasp it so hurl abuse at it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
diehardmariner
December 9, 2022, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
40% of those completing the survey weren't opposed to the singing section.  You'll have to forgive me for not remembering the exact question but I'm going to take that as 40% who would favour one rather than some sitting on the fence, either way impartiality is never a reason to not do something.

That 40% equates to 640 who completed the survey.

Playing loose and fast with the figures here but we've got, what, average home attendance of 6000 this season?  If we take the 1600 completed surveys as a representation of the fan base overall then there's 2400 fans sat in the ground each week who want a signing section.  

That's a big number of people with a desire to create something, the club should capitalise on that.  Now of course not everyone in that 2400 figure will want to actively be part of the singing section but it's a big enough number to be going at.  Perhaps simplistic but is this not an opportunity to look at getting a standing section in one of the corners to facilitate that?  Or even mark out that corner in the Main/away end as one?  That I'm aware it's not open to season ticket sales (so could even be loosely enforced now as a trial with an option for people to transfer existing tickets into it) and would also be the best placed position in the ground for noise to carry.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
louth_in_the_south
December 9, 2022, 3:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Can I just ask why anyone would be opposed to a singing section inside a football ground?!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
ginnywings
December 9, 2022, 4:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It always boils down to the same thing. If there is excitement on the pitch, then the noise levels and singing go up, especially if there is a decent away fan contingent. With the best will in the world, the footy at BP this season has been average to poor, with only one league win so far.

You cannot engineer an atmosphere in my opinion. It's spontaneous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
diehardmariner
December 9, 2022, 4:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I agree ginny, it can't be forced.

But equally so it's almost daft to have those who want to be incredibly vocal spread around the ground with their noise effectively falling on deaf ears.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
pen penfras
December 9, 2022, 6:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner
40% of those completing the survey weren't opposed to the singing section.  You'll have to forgive me for not remembering the exact question but I'm going to take that as 40% who would favour one rather than some sitting on the fence, either way impartiality is never a reason to not do something.

That 40% equates to 640 who completed the survey.

Playing loose and fast with the figures here but we've got, what, average home attendance of 6000 this season?  If we take the 1600 completed surveys as a representation of the fan base overall then there's 2400 fans sat in the ground each week who want a signing section.  

That's a big number of people with a desire to create something, the club should capitalise on that.  Now of course not everyone in that 2400 figure will want to actively be part of the singing section but it's a big enough number to be going at.  Perhaps simplistic but is this not an opportunity to look at getting a standing section in one of the corners to facilitate that?  Or even mark out that corner in the Main/away end as one?  That I'm aware it's not open to season ticket sales (so could even be loosely enforced now as a trial with an option for people to transfer existing tickets into it) and would also be the best placed position in the ground for noise to carry.

It's irrelevant how many 40% equates to if 60% are actually against it, they're larger. The bigger question is why are people opposed to a singing section? I can't think of a single reason. Nobody is forcing anybody to sing

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Madeleymariner
December 10, 2022, 1:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
I have no issues with a singing section not being there that often, but as things are nowadays to create one you would need to turf out season ticket holders who may have been in that area for years. Suppose the obvious place to set one up would be The Osmond corner where there aren't any ST holders and the acoustics are good. But of course that could create other problems at bigger games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Supporters Survey: Key Findings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.