Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 145 Guests

Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....

This thread currently has 36,371 views. Print
27 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
September 22, 2022, 10:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from DB

And that is the problem. Does JS & AP have a plan B?

I'd be shocked if JS and AP don't have a Plan B, C and D already. Maybe a good question to ask on the podcast tonight? Safe to say if Hursty does go, we wouldn't be shopping at Lidl anymore (in managerial terms) and we'd be in a position to approach some top non league managers like Ardley or Garrard.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,672
Gold Stars: 1,508
Let’s go easy on the talk of new managers. The king ain’t dead yet (and in all likelihood, ain’t dying anytime soon).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 266
Abdul19
September 22, 2022, 10:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,586
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'd be shocked if JS and AP don't have a Plan B, C and D already.  

Same.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 266
diehardmariner
September 22, 2022, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
On paper Warne leaving a Championship club for one in a bit of a rebuild in League One is a shock but after listening to the Moment of Truth podcast you could almost see that he was itching to try something new.  At various points he questioned how far he could take Rotherham, even prior to their promotion last season.  He often pondered about their yo-yo status and I think he recognised the natural ceiling that Rotherham have.

At Derby he may recognise that it might be a step back but the potential is far greater and realistically should be looking at a club with ambitions of returning to the upper reaches of the Championship with intent to get back into the Premier League.

Can't for the life of me think Hurst won't be on their radar.  If for nothing else he's known to them, that alone will get him so far through the door.  Fair enough his record at the level Rotherham are operating at is debatable, but objectively the two blots on his copybook have come at basket case clubs.  It's no secret he was expected to do a hatchet job on the playing budget at Ipswich and there wasn't a manger in the world who would have had success there.  At Scunthorpe they've actually regressed dramatically since his departure.  Sacked, yes.  But scratch the surface ever so slightly and you see an owner who doesn't have a clue how to run a football club and is running it into the ground.  That blot is easily written off.

The Rotherham fans will take the Warne departure to heart.  It depends how their chairman wants to respond. He'll want to bring a feel-good back to the club and bringing in a modern day legend could be a way of doing that.  

I am worried.  Hurst has been the consistent in our successes of the last decade.  We've got promoted twice because of him more than anyone else.  He's built and rebuilt the footballing side of this club to its strongest position in over two decades.  Without doubt 1878 will have contingency plans in place, but I'm still worried.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 266
Theimperialcoroner
September 22, 2022, 10:51am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
I do think we have a different view of PH than the outside world does. We absolutely see his value as we know all of the context around what he has done here. Outsiders do not have that context and as such will in all likelihood be put off from an approach just yet. I’d say that this time round it’s too soon for Rotherham to take a punt, then next time they change their manager it could we’ll be a different story and they’d come knocking. Thing is though then, where might our respective clubs be sitting in the food chain?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
On paper Warne leaving a Championship club for one in a bit of a rebuild in League One is a shock but after listening to the Moment of Truth podcast you could almost see that he was itching to try something new.  At various points he questioned how far he could take Rotherham, even prior to their promotion last season.  He often pondered about their yo-yo status and I think he recognised the natural ceiling that Rotherham have.

At Derby he may recognise that it might be a step back but the potential is far greater and realistically should be looking at a club with ambitions of returning to the upper reaches of the Championship with intent to get back into the Premier League.

Can't for the life of me think Hurst won't be on their radar.  If for nothing else he's known to them, that alone will get him so far through the door.  Fair enough his record at the level Rotherham are operating at is debatable, but objectively the two blots on his copybook have come at basket case clubs.  It's no secret he was expected to do a hatchet job on the playing budget at Ipswich and there wasn't a manger in the world who would have had success there.  At Scunthorpe they've actually regressed dramatically since his departure.  Sacked, yes.  But scratch the surface ever so slightly and you see an owner who doesn't have a clue how to run a football club and is running it into the ground.  That blot is easily written off.

The Rotherham fans will take the Warne departure to heart.  It depends how their chairman wants to respond. He'll want to bring a feel-good back to the club and bringing in a modern day legend could be a way of doing that.  

I am worried.  Hurst has been the consistent in our successes of the last decade.  We've got promoted twice because of him more than anyone else.  He's built and rebuilt the footballing side of this club to its strongest position in over two decades.  Without doubt 1878 will have contingency plans in place, but I'm still worried.

It would be interesting to know what kind of deterrent was placed in Hurst’s and Doig’s freshly signed contracts. If there is a sizeable buyout clause in there that may in itself dissuade Rotherham when there are other, arguably more proven at that level managers available.

Rotherham fans seem to be thinking more in terms of the likes of Mark Warburton (whose Championship record is remarkably solid), Carlos Corberan (fresh from his stint at Olympiakos) and even Neil Warnock (who had a successful stint there a few years ago).

It’s a difficult one because you can quite easily create a positive or negative narrative on Hurst just by adding or removing little bits of context. My gut feel is just that I don’t think he will quite have the Championship chops Rotherham are looking for.

I really hope I’m right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 266
quebec38
September 22, 2022, 11:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Thoughts on Hurst’s career so far:

Pre-Grimsby - good

10-16 Grimsby - good again. Made the play-offs 4 seasons running with quite poor backing. You’re in the lap of the gods in the play-offs and we finally (thankfully) made it up.

Shrewsbury - outstanding. From the bottom to promotion chasers and a cup final in 1 and a half years.

Ipswich - poor. I can see why he got a shot there and I’ve ranked it as poor but tbf he wasn’t given time to turn things around either.

Scunthorpe - poor. Massive caveat however that the club was screwed so his hands were probably tied.

Grimsby 19/20 - present - outstanding.

I think he may have a little bit to do to repair his reputation for Championship suitors just yet however I wouldn’t be surprised if Rotherham sounded him out either. The Scott thing might go against him too although maybe they could go for Hurst and remove Scott? It could also be possible that they work together together again.

I am gonna stick my neck out and say nothing to worry about just yet. If we continue as we are and Warne’s replacement doesn’t work out, then I think we should be concerned.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 266
TownSNAFU5
September 22, 2022, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
Hurst perhaps has more highs and lows than many managers.  Starting with Boston United.

Credit where credit is due.  At Shrewsbury though what he achieved was exceptional, and in quick time.  He took Shrewsbury (a small club for Division One) from bottom of the league to top of the league in 18 months.

Even with a small squad Shrewsbury should still probably have got automatic promotion that season.  However, there were too many cup games and distractions towards the end of the season and they
Ultimately just well short.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 11:26am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
His Ipswich role wouldn't have surprised me if they had a director of football and PH wasn't fully in control like he was at Shrewsbury and Town.  Similar to the Cowleys were they failed at Huddersfield (and again maybe because of a director of football).  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Talksport EFL correspondent reporting that Warne is to be announced at Derby “imminently”. At least there should be some certainty on that aspect sooner rather than later.

Some rumblings that assistant Richie Barker may remain as interim boss to have a crack at a permanent opportunity, rather than following Warne to Derby. That could mean the saga drags on for some time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 266
27 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.