6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
hampshiremariner
May 10, 2022, 9:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
Brilliant. Well done to the lads. We could have been even higher but for some disappointing performances against some of the lower teams. For example, Aldershot (a), Barnet (a) and Maidenhead (h).

But now we are in the play-offs anything is possible.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
LH
May 10, 2022, 10:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Top seven a realistic but challenging target for a relegated club. A good achievement and gives us an almlost pressure free go at the play offs when others are arguably more desperate to win them. Let’s enjoy it whatever happens.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 10, 2022, 10:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Reference the Eastleigh game firstly I would play Macca, after ten years he deserves one last hurrah in between the sticks. As for the remainder of the side anyone who has a knock, slight muscle injury or is a little jaded should have the day off.

The only reservation is that anyone not playing will be over 2 weeks without a competitive game and that can come back to bite you. Anyway pleased we have this problem and it looks like a trip to Notts County is beckoning, two very evenly matched teams so everything to play for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
GrimRob
May 10, 2022, 10:05pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Great effort, it will be a steal if we finish 6th and get promoted but it would be the perfect crime as far as I am concerned  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 53
wigworld
May 10, 2022, 10:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
You never know, Notts County might do a Scunny on Saturday and we finish above them.

(Unlikely I know, but if Carlsberg did 'last days of the season'...)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 53
Maringer
May 10, 2022, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
A good achievement, but makes me think what might have been had we not gone through that terrible spell. 9 defeats from 12 games was just awful and we didn't deserve to lose most of them. Even an average run of form during that period would have seen us up challenging for automatic promotion.

Oh well, there are always 'what ifs' to deal with and the season isn't over yet...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
Poojah
May 10, 2022, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
Couldn’t make it tonight due to unexpected work commitments; one of the few home games I’ve missed this season, but I’m going to take a moment to reflect with a celebratory beer this evening.

Celebrate what exactly? For a start, the return of my club. It was impossible not to feel distanced from things last season, but in truth much of that feeling was there long before the pandemic. I’ve enjoyed this season; whatever happens, the GTFC I love is back.

If that’s a bit sentimental, I genuinely think a play-off finish this season is something to celebrate in itself. Start of the season, I didn’t think we’d do it. Too much disarray. Too much to do in shaping a competitive squad. Too much money elsewhere in this league.

Even looking back, I don’t think that was unfair. We were in disarray a year ago. There was shít loads to do. And there was, and is, more money in this league than ever before. To finish at least 7th this season is a massive achievement in its own right. The management, the staff the players - all 67 of them, deserve huge credit. The fact the squad has been in almost constant evolution makes the feat all the more remarkable.

What’s lies in store for us now? Looks like Notts County, in all probability. Then it would be Wrexham if we could jump that hurdle. After that, who knows?

Honestly, am I confident we can go all the way? Looking at it objectively, it’s a big, big ask. But it’s the play-offs; the notoriously unpredictable play-offs. I’d all but given up after that home leg against Braintree in 2016. I would never have predicted what followed.

Even if it’s heartbreak, fúck it, so what? I didn’t think we’d be here. This is a bonus. If it ends badly, it needn’t end in tears. We’ll be in great shape for an assault on this division next season if we have to go again. Heartbreak was a catalyst in 2015, and it can be again if push comes to shove.

What will be. We might not do it. You never know, we might. But either way, let’s just try to enjoy it. Get those away ends bouncing.

This was the first season of the transition from the Fenty-era into something better. Whatever happens, this season has already been a massive success. Our highest average attendance outside the second tier in over 30 years is testament to that. Well done everyone, and I include the fans in that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
ginnywings
May 10, 2022, 10:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Great achievement whatever happens in the next 2, 3 or hopefully 4 games.

PH has done a good job getting us into the play offs considering the squad he inherited and the gloom around the club after relegation.

Another 6000 crowd tonight, so progress on and off the pitch it seems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
May 10, 2022, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
For me personally, this was the definition of a successful season at this level. Its entirely a lottery now, we've bought our ticket, let's cross everything and put our faith in the lads to do the best they can.

Well done Hurst and the team!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
Limerick Mariner
May 11, 2022, 12:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Fantastic achievement to turn round that terrible run and get to this point with a game to spare; I think we were all sold a bit of a dummy with the start we had to the season. With hindsight it was never going to last, we had had a third of team made up of u23 loans with the squad burdened by excess baggage from the previous regime. PH has done a great job in rebuilding in the second half of the season with three standout wins against other top 7 sides. Promotion from here is a massive ask given what we are up against but I'm going with the Martin Johnson philosphy from the rugby world cup - make sure you are in the game with15 mins to go, others might not handle the pressure. Well we are still in the game and the big pressure is on a couple of the other teams at this point - let's see how they handle it...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We're in the play-offs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.