Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › We're in the play-offs
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 331 Guests

We're in the play-offs

This thread currently has 7,341 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
May 11, 2022, 9:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from buckstown
1-0 Stockport at FT so one point needed from Sundays game against Halifax

Not as easy as it sounds. Of all the teams I’d want to play under the circumstances of both sides, Halifax would be bottom of the list. Realistically, they need a win as much as Stockport need a draw.

Going to be a very interesting final day.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
LH
May 11, 2022, 10:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from Poojah

Not as easy as it sounds. Of all the teams I’d want to play under the circumstances of both sides, Halifax would be bottom of the list. Realistically, they need a win as much as Stockport need a draw.

Going to be a very interesting final day.

Looking at the fixtures I’m even more pleased we confirmed our place in the play offs last night. There is a lot riding on the games at Dagenham, Chesterfield and Stockport. Our finishing position isn’t certain just yet (although highly unlikely we’ll move from 6th).
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
immariner
May 11, 2022, 11:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from LH

Looking at the fixtures I’m even more pleased we confirmed our place in the play offs last night. There is a lot riding on the games at Dagenham, Chesterfield and Stockport. Our finishing position isn’t certain just yet (although highly unlikely we’ll move from 6th).

I don't really feel like "highly unlikely" reflects rhe situation. Would only take a 1-0 defeat for us and a 3-0 win for Chesterfield against a Woking side who, although only 1 point worse off away from home than us, havie nothing to play for collectively. I'd put it at 25% chance if we put out a much weakened side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
Poojah
May 11, 2022, 11:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from immariner

I don't really feel like "highly unlikely" reflects rhe situation. Would only take a 1-0 defeat for us and a 3-0 win for Chesterfield against a Woking side who, although only 1 point worse off away from home than us, havie nothing to play for collectively. I'd put it at 25% chance if we put out a much weakened side

There are nine scenarios in terms of result combinations, and only one can result in us dropping from 6th place, and even that requires a 4 goal GD swing. In probability terms we’re talking somewhere between a 5% and 12% of us finishing 7th. It’s pretty remote.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Sconeboy
May 12, 2022, 7:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +218
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Poojah

There are nine scenarios in terms of result combinations, and only one can result in us dropping from 6th place, and even that requires a 4 goal GD swing. In probability terms we’re talking somewhere between a 5% and 12% of us finishing 7th. It’s pretty remote.

I bet the Northampton forum read quite similar to that a couple of weeks back lol!

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
buckstown
May 12, 2022, 8:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
Honestly don't care a jot whether we finish 6th or 7th, I'm pleased we made the play offs. We're going to have 3 tough games away from Blundell Park so bring them on in any order.
Think PH will rest virtually all of his first choice starting line up on Sunday because trying to finish 5th will be very tough, take a lot out of them and probably be futile
Guessing Solihull and Halifax will be going for it on Sunday so whichever of them misses out might be a better destination?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
immariner
May 12, 2022, 10:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Poojah

In regular season games, absolutely. But if we put out a reserve team, as in resting all of the starting 11 from BW, bringing in a couple of yoofs, we're most likely going to lose, Chesterfield are most likely going to win. I'd honestly put that scenario as low as evens .A 4 goal swing in that event I'd also put at evens. I don't think Hurst will look to do that though. I think the bench will all likely come in plus probably Max. I think Fox will keep his place as he's only a few games back from a lay off. At least 5 changes I would say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Poojah
May 12, 2022, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from immariner

In regular season games, absolutely. But if we put out a reserve team, as in resting all of the starting 11 from BW, bringing in a couple of yoofs, we're most likely going to lose, Chesterfield are most likely going to win. I'd honestly put that scenario as low as evens .A 4 goal swing in that event I'd also put at evens. I don't think Hurst will look to do that though. I think the bench will all likely come in plus probably Max. I think Fox will keep his place as he's only a few games back from a lay off. At least 5 changes I would say.

There's already a minimum 10 day gap between our final league game and the play-off quarter final. Anyone who doesn't play on Sunday will have gone over 2 weeks without a game; I'm not sure how advantageous that will be in most cases.

I suspect we might see some sensible decisions made in terms of resting certain players; McAtee most likely getting a light run out off the bench, and perhaps a start for the likes of Max Wright who's not had much game time but may be needed in the play-offs, but I don't think we'll see anything resembling a reserve side fielded against Eastleigh.

Edit: I've just seen the dates have been moved forward a couple of days, but the point in general still stands.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Les Brechin
May 12, 2022, 12:22pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Halifax still with a chance of finishing 3rd so I'm sure they'll be going all out for the win on Sunday.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
RonMariner
May 12, 2022, 7:07pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
Well, whatever happens in the play offs, it's clear that there is a new vibe at the club, a totally different trajectory from the constant doom and gloom, crass amateurism, counterproductive penny pinching, false economies, and embarrassing gaffs under the previous regime.

We once again have a club we can get behind, a club we can be proud of, win draw or lose. For the first time in years we can look forward to the future.

We have got our club back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › We're in the play-offs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.