6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2022, 9:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Think Hagrid failed to support his comments with examples but I believe he was probably referring to the fact that, particularly in the first half, McAtee gave the ball away an awful lot of times and seemed very hurried in everything he did. That said he never stopped wanting the ball, never stopped harassing the opposition and of course scored that beautiful goal. He probably tried a little too hard first half to effect the game in a positive manner but he’s that type of player and when the instinctive quick passes don’t come off we obviously lose possession.

The structure of the front players provides a problem with Sousa being able to beat players seemingly at will on occasions but he’s poor in front of goal and doesn’t put in enough balls of the quality we witnessed from Wright when he came on. Then there’s Taylor excellent in his link up play, fully committed but he doesn’t get on the end of enough of the crosses or get enough of the tap ins he scored against Southend. But if he were replaced with an out and out striker his contribution in our build up play would leave a massive hole so if a striker were signed who would he replace?

Special mention to Coke today who had an excellent game and my post has to mention Pearson’s 70 yard forward run beating two or three of their players on the way. If only that could have led to a goal !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 53
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2022, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Either player would be at a higher level if they had either, in McAtee’s case, a bit more composure or, in JMD’s case, more pace. They haven’t. But, at this level, they’re both very good footballers.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2022, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Either player would be at a higher level if they had either, in McAtee’s case, a bit more composure or, in JMD’s case, more pace. They haven’t. But, at this level, they’re both very good footballers.

They could be a real handful if we can keep them both fit & firing for a couple of months.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
Sigone
January 15, 2022, 10:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
McAtee is probably a couple of games from being match fit as is JMD.  Exciting if these 2 can forge an understanding, and with Taylor too.  If we sign a new striker who drops out, very unlikely we play 2 up top..nobody does that now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2022, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sigone
McAtee is probably a couple of games from being match fit as is JMD.  Exciting if these 2 can forge an understanding, and with Taylor too.  If we sign a new striker who drops out, very unlikely we play 2 up top..nobody does that now.

Sousa. McAtee and JMD run the channels and new player plays off Taylo.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
Poojah
January 15, 2022, 10:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Hagrid

I flipping said i got my words wrong allright

urine off

He’s getting peppered with red crosses here, but I think young Haggers has a semblance of a fair point. I thought in the first-half McAtee looked a little bit out of sorts, just not quite bombing around the pitch and dictating play as we know he can do so well.

The rest is history of course, and he had the audacity to score the best Town goal I can remember for some time while I was still in the Trust bar. Both he and Town were a different spectacle after that, and it transitioned from a frustrating first-half into an enjoyable second.

He’s a class act and without doubt our talisman and clearly someone even the players to look for inspiration, but I don’t think it’s totally unfair to suggest he wasn’t quite at his tip-top best in the early part of the game today, though he atoned for that and then some with his goal and sheer determination after the break.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2022, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

He’s getting peppered with red crosses here, but I think young Haggers has a semblance of a fair point. I thought in the first-half McAtee looked a little bit out of sorts, just not quite bombing around the pitch and dictating play as we know he can do so well.

The rest is history of course, and he had the audacity to score the best Town goal I can remember for some time while I was still in the Trust bar. Both he and Town were a different spectacle after that, and it transitioned from a frustrating first-half into an enjoyable second.

He’s a class act and without doubt our talisman and clearly someone even the players to look for inspiration, but I don’t think it’s totally unfair to suggest he wasn’t quite at his tip-top best in the early part of the day today, though he atoned for that and then some with his goal and sheer determination after the break.

My thoughts exactly.

Given his ability, he could do with not over playing and to use the undoubted talents of those around him.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
rancido
January 16, 2022, 12:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Hagrid

They really wont

Mcatee was Poor today by his usual standards

JMD Is a typical Div 5 winger. Inconsistent

So a typical inconsistent Div 5 winger scores 2 goals in 3 games! Can we have more of them please?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
Bristol Mariner
January 16, 2022, 12:45am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Hagrid
Bloody hell heaven forbid having a difference of opinion

You do talk excrement

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
aldi_01
January 16, 2022, 8:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think Mcatee was poor first half but second half he dug in and I guess you expect your better players rondo what he did and pull something out of the bag which turned the game.

Maguire-drew has improved game on game. At Dagenham he looked like a fish out of water but he’s dug in and shown he’s worth something and again, his finish was excellent, helped out by Mcatee and Fox putting pressure on the oppo…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee and Maguire-Drew

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.