6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
January 16, 2022, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,877
Gold Stars: 42
Other clubs not taking not then of 2 excellent goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
Teesknees
January 16, 2022, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Mariner56
We scored two amazing goals like that and there are no National League highlights this weekend.

Stinky stink bombs!

Do we not get to see the goals anywhere then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
gtfc_chris
January 16, 2022, 9:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
I've not been overly endeared to JMD in his general game. Has been fairly slow to react to the flow of the game and offer up positions to stretch the opposition in the way Sousa and Wright do. That said, when he's capable of pulling out strikes like that (he had a carbon copy hit the bar against Halifax), then he's worthy of being in the starting 11 for me.

Perhaps with some more games in a team that starts to increase in confidence we'll see more of what he's capable of.

Regards McAtee I actually get the point. I wouldn't go as far to say he was poor but I think the way he started the season was immense and he set a standard that after an injury and suspension he's going to take some time to get back to and yesterday wasn't it. The work rate was certainly there and he showed grit all the way through, he/we just didn't pull off the creative sparks in the same way as the opening 10-12 games. Not to mention coming into a team in a rut which takes a shine off the collective confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
DaleH
January 16, 2022, 9:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +814
Gold Stars: 167
Two spectacular individual goals, of which both were worthy of winning any game.

What we need now though, is the team creating clear cut chances for ordinary goals, because that’s the bread and butter stuff that will provide consistency. Worldys like the two scored yesterday will be few and far between. We need to start creating and scoring ordinary goals.

PH was sort of alluding to this in his post match interview, and that inspires me with confidence that is what he’s working towards. That can only be positive.

I’m certainly not concerned that we have a lack of finishers. For me, my concern is that we have lacked final ball creativity in our attacking play. I feel we’ve lacked a couple of central midfield creative players. Hunt looked okay, but was still very inexperienced when compared to the likes of a Disley. I’m not a massive Coke fan if I’m honest either. Fox looks like a decent option in that area though. He’s impressed me this season, and I think PH can improve him even more.

If we can find some quality in the middle of the park, I think things will improve. It’s key to unlocking the need to the ordinary and effective attacking play. The bread and butter stuff

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Les Brechin
January 16, 2022, 9:25pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Teesknees

Do we not get to see the goals anywhere then?

[tweet]1482384848245465109[/tweet]

[tweet]1482394578149859329[/tweet]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2022, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from DaleH
Two spectacular individual goals, of which both were worthy of winning any game.

What we need now though, is the team creating clear cut chances for ordinary goals, because that’s the bread and butter stuff that will provide consistency. Worldys like the two scored yesterday will be few and far between. We need to start creating and scoring ordinary goals.

PH was sort of alluding to this in his post match interview, and that inspires me with confidence that is what he’s working towards. That can only be positive.

I’m certainly not concerned that we have a lack of finishers. For me, my concern is that we have lacked final ball creativity in our attacking play. I feel we’ve lacked a couple of central midfield creative players. Hunt looked okay, but was still very inexperienced when compared to the likes of a Disley. I’m not a massive Coke fan if I’m honest either. Fox looks like a decent option in that area though. He’s impressed me this season, and I think PH can improve him even more.

If we can find some quality in the middle of the park, I think things will improve. It’s key to unlocking the need to the ordinary and effective attacking play. The bread and butter stuff

I believe, in Alex Hunt, we had quality in the middle of the park. He was used less frequently in away games and was suspended (and missed) in the Chesterfield game.

The thing with Hunt is that I always thought he had a killer pass In him. I don’t feel that with what’s left.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
Teesknees
January 16, 2022, 9:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
[quote=618]

Cheers Les.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Maringer
January 16, 2022, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
I think JMD doesn't look the most naturally athletic of players and his relative lack of pace showed during the first half when he struggled to get into the game and his touch was off as well.

However, he was much improved after the break (Hurst mentioned in the post-match interview that he seemed to get his second wind) and his ability with the ball at his feet was there to see, especially with that excellent finish. I was impressed that he continued to get stuck in defensively as well, which is all you can really ask for from a player who looks knackered! If he was quicker, he wouldn't be playing in this division. I'd imagine we'll see quite a few games where he doesn't achieve too much, but if he can keep chipping in with goals and create some for others as well, he'll be a valuable player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Poojah
January 16, 2022, 9:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from DaleH

100% bang on the money that - that’s exactly the situation as I see it.

The only potential counter argument I can think of is that a few times I’ve seen what look like great balls into the box or across the goal come to nothing. Perhaps an Amond or Tshimanga type might have read those balls better and got on the end of them. That’s the main thing I think we’re lacking in the striker department; just a bit of off the ball cuteness and finishing composure.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
Poojah
January 16, 2022, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Les Brechin

[tweet]1482384848245465109[/tweet]

[tweet]1482394578149859329[/tweet]

The pressing for that second goal is almost better than the finish itself. That's reminiscent of the Town side I remember up until the time we played Wealdstone. Let's hope we can get back to those ways, and that the reason Altrincham looked so poor was because we made them so.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee and Maguire-Drew

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.