Abdul19
December 22, 2021, 7:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

The story about HIV is what I was told when I was a mascot about 30 years ago.

Can just imagine Mark Lever cracking open the Panda Pops to chat HIV with a gaggle of youngsters.  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 129
pen penfras
December 22, 2021, 8:24am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Abdul19

Can just imagine Mark Lever cracking open the Panda Pops to chat HIV with a gaggle of youngsters.  

Haha, it wasn't a player, some staff member doing a tour. And parents were there, which I assume was the intention of the statement because I had no concept of what HIV was as a sprog.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 129
GYinScuntland
December 22, 2021, 8:26am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,252
Gold Stars: 98
Join the queue, roll your sleeves up, take your injections and it's this way for the irreversible path to freedom.
It's the flipping idiots following this mantra that are dragging it on.
It'll all come out in the wash eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 129
pen penfras
December 22, 2021, 8:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from DG98
Covid is a flu at worst at this point. Back before covid existed, it would be flu that either killed off the old and vulnerable or led to them having something worse, like pneumonia, which would ultimately kill somebody. The difference is, we never mass tested for flu, we just lived, people knew the risks of going to a game and potentially sitting next to somebody with a nasty cold and catching it, and those risks are no different now. The majority of people who test positive for covid are absolutely fine, they just get told to isolate to save somebody who’s 100 years old with a deteriorating body. I’m sorry if this sounds selfish, but we’ve never done that before, so why now? If mass testing stopped, covid would literally just become flu. The governments mass scaremongering doesn’t help either, when they say there’s been 200 covid related deaths in a day, you’re supposed to think that yet another 200 people have struggled for a breath on a ventilator for weeks, before taking their last one, when in reality if you test positive for covid and die within 28 days, you go down as a covid death. In Australia, there was a news report that somebody who got shot went down as a covid death, it’s laughable at this point! So why would they do that? Why would they tell everybody they need all these jabs, just to lock us down again? “The jabs protect you, but we cannot rule out restrictions” it’s time we just got on with it, we can’t do this forever.

I’m also expecting to be called selfish for posting this, however, if somebody is willing to call me selfish just think, are you the selfish one? For wanting people who don’t want and definitely don’t need a jab against covid, to get the jab so they can be part of society? Are you the selfish one for calling for more restrictions and possibly a full lockdown, which in turn could kill a lot of peoples hard worked businesses, and destroy people’s mental health when they can’t see friends and loved ones and do the things they love? At the end of the day, we’re all people with fully functioning brains, we know the risks, and like Matt Le Tissier said, if you feel scared to go to football then don’t go, simple. Don’t stop the rest of the country, who want to go to football, from going and enjoying their life. I doubt we will be playing many, if any, games in front of crowds from now on this season and to me it’s a complete overreaction. Call me what you will, unfortunately people have been dying from things like covid, flu, pneumonia etc. For years, and years, and years… Death is a horrible thing, and it’s sad that it happens, but it’s unavoidable, and if you are in the vulnerable or elderly category, and you are fully vaccinated and don’t feel safe going to the football, I completely understand and respect that, but like I have said, don’t be the selfish one and try and tell people what THEY should and shouldn’t be doing because of this.

Time to stop with the testing, stop with the (let’s all be honest here) pointless vaccine passports (because vaccines were brought in to help lessen the effects for the elderly and vulnerable, not eliminate covid all together, that will never happen, it’s impossible), and stop with any form of restrictions. Time to live just like we did 3 years ago, with absolutely no restrictions, no worries, and no scaremongering by the government. You can book a plane and go abroad the next day, no hassle. Go to football without a QR code, same with pubs, restaurants and if you’re in Germany, soon it will be shops! No need for any of this, time to live. Sounds nice that, doesn’t it? A life with no worries, or possibilities of new restrictions? A life where you can live as freely as you want while taking your own risks? A life of simple choices and freedoms… what happened…  

I agree that we need to get on with it, but saying it's now the same as influenza is not correct. In a bad year the UK has 30k deaths from flu and on a 'good' year it's about 10k. Covid deaths this year are about 73k. That's with mass vaccination and lockdowns which we don't do for the flu. The last 6 months, when most people were vaccinated is 20k deaths and that's not including the winter months which are by far the worst for respiratory diseases.

The argument that some deaths within 28 days of a test are not covid related is true. But also some covid patients are sick for longer than 28 days and others get killed by something else because covid has weakened their immune system to a huge extent. To claim covid has no part in these deaths is as deceitful as the statements that "most people in hospital are unvaccinated" etc.

Omicron may or may not be less deadly than other variants. It's really difficult to know this early on, although it looks positive. But the speed at which it is spreading is a big concern because it is clearly much faster at spreading and being half as deadly is irrelevant if it is spreading twice as fast.

And the numbers that are being reported are going to stall. We've reached testing capacity so not everybody is able to get a test who wants one. That's going to mean a higher percentage of positive cases slip through the net. And I would imagine some people are reluctant to get tested if they don't feel too unwell with it being Christmas week and not wanting to isolate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 129
HerveJosse
December 22, 2021, 9:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Back to football. We are the only club in the National League with games off on these two dates.Our area currently has one of the lowest Covid rates in the country. The self isolation period has been reduced from 10 to 7 days  which was flagged as likely before the games were called off meaning those who were not available at Stockport would be likely to be..But don’t worry all is well at our club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 129
pen penfras
December 22, 2021, 9:11am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
Back to football. We are the only club in the National League with games off on these two dates.Our area currently has one of the lowest Covid rates in the country. The self isolation period has been reduced from 10 to 7 days  which was flagged as likely before the games were called off meaning those who were not available at Stockport would be likely to be..But don’t worry all is well at our club.

Just because the isolation period is over doesn't make you fit to play. I trained with my team 2 days after my isolation period had ended from a mild case of covid and I coughed so hard that I tore an intercostal muscle.

Clearly something isn't right at the club, but not everything is an indication of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 129
aldi_01
December 22, 2021, 9:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HerveJosse

Give it a rest John, at least try and be funny…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 129
MuddyWaters
December 22, 2021, 9:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

I agree that we need to get on with it, but saying it's now the same as influenza is not correct. In a bad year the UK has 30k deaths from flu and on a 'good' year it's about 10k. Covid deaths this year are about 73k. That's with mass vaccination and lockdowns which we don't do for the flu. The last 6 months, when most people were vaccinated is 20k deaths and that's not including the winter months which are by far the worst for respiratory diseases.

The argument that some deaths within 28 days of a test are not covid related is true. But also some covid patients are sick for longer than 28 days and others get killed by something else because covid has weakened their immune system to a huge extent. To claim covid has no part in these deaths is as deceitful as the statements that "most people in hospital are unvaccinated" etc.

Omicron may or may not be less deadly than other variants. It's really difficult to know this early on, although it looks positive. But the speed at which it is spreading is a big concern because it is clearly much faster at spreading and being half as deadly is irrelevant if it is spreading twice as fast.

And the numbers that are being reported are going to stall. We've reached testing capacity so not everybody is able to get a test who wants one. That's going to mean a higher percentage of positive cases slip through the net. And I would imagine some people are reluctant to get tested if they don't feel too unwell with it being Christmas week and not wanting to isolate.

73k Covid deaths.

How many died with Covid and how many died because of Covid? How many died because of serious comorbidities? If you look at many weeks during the summer, the actual death rate was lower than average.
The phrase ‘lies, damned lies and statistics’ springs to mind. Every death is very sad and many families have reason to blame Covid for a family member’s passing but for others it was one of a number of causes.
Let’s just hope that Omicron does prove to be weaker and that the 95+% of us with antibodies can get us to the herd immunity we need.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 129
Dogger Bank
December 22, 2021, 9:34am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Surely it’s time to call off the season or play behind closed doors. It’s far too dangerous for playing football at the moment. I say we follow sturgeon, she leads and Johnson follows

Idiot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 129
aldi_01
December 22, 2021, 9:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s rare I agree with our friend Pen but I do side with him on some of this but also, I find myself tired of covid. Tired of the constant discussion or the now polarised views of folks leading to irrelevant and constant arguments. The faffing about for what? Very little in truth.

Rules that have been inconsistently applied, implemented and generally not at the appropriate times. It’s all very tiring. There are, in my opinion, things that have happened, at government level and local level that needed closer attention but haven’t and they’ve all gotten away with it. People will disagree but for me, these things needed equal billing on news for instance…the e social care bill is one example, the political agenda and nonsense from ofsted and the DfE crucifying a profession for what? Stress and anxiety of the workers but minute political gain…

The ongoing farce that is leaving Europe and so the list goes on…

Back to football though, this was inevitable really, it’s frustrating but it’s happened…no point having a go at each other or the club…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Halifax and Kings Lynn Both Off

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.