Madeleymariner
November 14, 2021, 11:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,051
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner

Let's put things into perspective a little bit.
1. Have we fallen flat on our faces? No, we have lost our last 3 league games. Yes yesterday was an embarrassment. Wealdstone parked the bus and we are laking a player or 2 in the final 3rd to be able to break those types of teams down. Notts County we didnt deserve to loose, we played well, limited them to only 1 or 2 shots on goal, and didnt take the few chances we had. We more than matched them, but again we were lacking that little bit of extra quality in the final 3rd.

2. Yes we do need a good striker and yes we have known this since the summer, but they don't grow on trees, do they? We were in for Tshimanga & the price Boreham Wood had on him was aimed at championship teams. Chesterfield went all in and got him. Maybe we should have gone all in, maybe we did but he chose them over us? It's all well and good saying "there must be options out there better than what we have at the moment" but no matter how big a transfer fee or wages we offer, it's still down to the player to say yes. At the moment the only players we can sign are either free agents (not going to be match fit), Non-league players (nobody in our league is going to sell their best strikers to us are they?). Or loans, Hurst has already said we have been knocked back on several loan players. We need to try and push the boat out in Jan.

3. We are not going to have another season like last season are we? The squad we have now is head and shoulders above last season's squad, even without the extra striker we need. Last season's squad was a bunch of headless Sunday league chickens under the control of a mental blagging has been. If we had that squad this season we would be in the bottom 3 by now.

We are 15 games in, 3rd in the league have 29 points, won 9, drawn 2, lost 4, and scored 28 goals without a "star striker".

In 2015/2016 (the season we went up) After 15 games, we had won 6, drawn 7, and lost 2, and had 25 points with bogle and podge scoring for fun.

Have faith!!

UTM

2.  Was under the impression we could buy a player from any league till about Feb next year might be wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 258
NorthLondonMariner
November 14, 2021, 12:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Madeleymariner

2.  Was under the impression we could buy a player from any league till about Feb next year might be wrong

Your right, I stand corrected. Its only FL and above that cant buy or sell to/from each other
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 258
Rasen 17
November 14, 2021, 12:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +40
Gold Stars: 2
We had no left side  missed Crookes and Bapaga  and no one dare shoot, we had 4 or 5 chances to shoot , a couple of c.ear chances for Hunt and Sousa but instead of shooting elected to play a poor final ball to try to shoot from 6 yards rather than 16. If yo don't shoot they won't score. Thought that's basic at any level. Also at this level when playing against set plays you need a goalkeeper who will come a claim the aerial ball instead of staying on the goalline.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 258
hampshiremariner
November 14, 2021, 3:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
North London Mariner- I used to be an optimist but have been let down too many times!

I understand what you are saying but if we had any credentials at all, we would not be losing to Aldershot. A good team grinds out results even when playing badly. We should have drawn at the very least.

Perhaps we were not as good as we thought in the early games. Last gasp winners in at least two games (Barnet and Woking) and we almost threw a three goal lead away v Altrincham.

It is crucial they stop the rot otherwise confidence will drain from the team. The manager needs to decide his best starting XI and stick with them, unless injuries/suspensions intervene. All the chopping and changing does not help. We have suffered for twenty years now. There is only so much you can take. I am absolutely desperate for the club to do well. I have followed them since 1957.  I want to tell people I support GTFC and be respected, rather than guffaws and sympathy. I would be happy with top half of L2 at the moment, That is not an unrealistic objective. But we are nowhere near it at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 258
denni266
November 14, 2021, 7:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Over the last many seasons there have been loads of reasons for being crap , But this season i can see no excuses for being crap at this moment in time  except we are crap at this moment in time From manager down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 258
DB
November 14, 2021, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner

Let's put things into perspective a little bit.
1. Have we fallen flat on our faces? No, we have lost our last 3 league games. Yes yesterday was an embarrassment. Wealdstone parked the bus and we are laking a player or 2 in the final 3rd to be able to break those types of teams down. Notts County we didnt deserve to loose, we played well, limited them to only 1 or 2 shots on goal, and didnt take the few chances we had. We more than matched them, but again we were lacking that little bit of extra quality in the final 3rd.

2. Yes we do need a good striker and yes we have known this since the summer, but they don't grow on trees, do they? We were in for Tshimanga & the price Boreham Wood had on him was aimed at championship teams. Chesterfield went all in and got him. Maybe we should have gone all in, maybe we did but he chose them over us? It's all well and good saying "there must be options out there better than what we have at the moment" but no matter how big a transfer fee or wages we offer, it's still down to the player to say yes. At the moment the only players we can sign are either free agents (not going to be match fit), Non-league players (nobody in our league is going to sell their best strikers to us are they?). Or loans, Hurst has already said we have been knocked back on several loan players. We need to try and push the boat out in Jan.

3. We are not going to have another season like last season are we? The squad we have now is head and shoulders above last season's squad, even without the extra striker we need. Last season's squad was a bunch of headless Sunday league chickens under the control of a mental blagging has been. If we had that squad this season we would be in the bottom 3 by now.

We are 15 games in, 3rd in the league have 29 points, won 9, drawn 2, lost 4, and scored 28 goals without a "star striker".

In 2015/2016 (the season we went up) After 15 games, we had won 6, drawn 7, and lost 2, and had 25 points with bogle and podge scoring for fun.

Have faith!!

UTM

Star man. The most sensible post I've read today. We've lost 9 points and are still third. All teams have bad spells and I'd rather have ours now than in March. Time for McAtee to come back and new blood in January.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 258
ginnywings
November 14, 2021, 9:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Last time we were down here, Crawley and Fleetwood both shelled out for quality players and both p1ssed the league. Crawley bought Matt Tubbs for £70,000, Sergio Torres for £100,000 and reputedly £ 275,000 for Richard Brodie. It payed off spectacularly by them winning the league, only losing three games along the way (one of those to us I believe) and getting to the F.A Cup 5th round and a tie at Old Trafford, raking in much more than they had shelled out along the way.

They went up from League 2 the following season and skirted with the League 1 play offs the following season before finishing 10th. They made a load more money when they sold a couple of players for around 2 million.

Fleetwood did very similar and of course signed Jamie Vardy for ( I think) £100,000. Whatever happened to him?

This was a decade ago they were paying these sorts of fees in this league, so it isn't something new. Chesterfield look to have invested wisely with Tshimanga already on 16 goals and the team starting to motor. Wrexham have invested too and starting to hit their straps. 11 goals in the last 2 games. We have managed 1 in 4. Stockport take the Bolton captain, which is pretty amazing really

Basically, you get what you pay for and if we want to compete in this league, we need to do what others are doing.

We must have made a pretty penny from gate receipts. Will we spend some of it on the squad is the burning question for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 258
DB
November 14, 2021, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from hampshiremariner
North London Mariner- I used to be an optimist but have been let down too many times!

That my friend is all about being a FAN. Enjoy the good times, take the knocks on the chin, pick yourself up, and hey we're going to win the next match. Positive optimism.

Glass is always half full, getting promoted, are we? Of course, we are 3rd in the table, and reading the late July posts everybody was going to be happy if we were mid table by Christmas!

PS. My son asked how I felt about Saturday, tissue box empty was my answer; but now definite win against Southend, no problem as my glass is filling up, again.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 258
arryarryarry
November 14, 2021, 11:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DB

That my friend is all about being a FAN. Enjoy the good times, take the knocks on the chin, pick yourself up, and hey we're going to win the next match. Positive optimism.

Glass is always half full, getting promoted, are we? Of course, we are 3rd in the table, and reading the late July posts everybody was going to be happy if we were mid table by Christmas!

PS. My son asked how I felt about Saturday, tissue box empty was my answer; but now definite win against Southend, no problem as my glass is filling up, again.

Really?
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aldershot match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.