6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
June 25, 2021, 4:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I am not convinced this place can be turned into anything without a shed load of taxpayers cash. And once done it has to pay for itself in this pretend historic Kasbah quarter. It has to attract custom from long distances. The question I would be thinking about is whether Mr Shutes is in for the long haul of trying to keep the income flowing enough or is he just acting as a middleman developer ready to sell on his share at the appropriate point. So here is the snag in this sort of public  funding, it is for pump priming not for maintenance. I have no doubt it will look good and will receive the customary smiley PR pics in the GT. Long term the council could have a millstone round its neck.

I presume the council won’t be allowed to send a bean on it unless income streams are assessed as being robust. The money is from central government and the Treasury isn’t just going to file it out without checking. If Treasury says no then it’s Shutes’ loss.

I’d imagine similar concerns were expressed about the redevelopment of that Liverpool dock area and the creation of the Liverpool Tate.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
Azimuth
June 25, 2021, 5:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Surely this is a positive for the town, and shows some forward thinking and believe that it can work.

There is a local condition called Grimsbyitis whereby people dismiss and complain about anything positive or changes for the better and in the next breath moan about the town going backwards, I myself was infected with this in years gone by and still have the odd symptoms now and again but am getting better at managing it.

Lets hope Shutes pulls this off and it is a catylist for further interest and investments in Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
golfer
June 25, 2021, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Untrustworthy bullshitter who is only in it for himself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
jimgtfc
June 25, 2021, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
The area needed investment decades ago. You’ve only got to take a trip over the bridge to see what they’ve done with and around Hull marina to see what’s possible, albeit probably on a smaller scale. Large parts of the docks are derelict and prime development land, and with a combination of the council dragging their heels and general ineptitude, it takes developers like Mr Shutes to kick start these regenerations.

Imagine the docks with bars, restaurants, entertainment, hotels, apartments and retail with a community football stadium at the heart of it. It would completely transform this town. Sadly things like that don’t happen in Grimsby.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
BrMarin
June 25, 2021, 5:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +100
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from golfer
Untrustworthy bullshitter who is only in it for himself

Bring back honest John!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
moosey_club
June 25, 2021, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
I can see it now, Tommy Turgoose is Hamlet on opening night of the new theatre of national importance.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 25, 2021, 5:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I presume the council won’t be allowed to send a bean on it unless income streams are assessed as being robust. The money is from central government and the Treasury isn’t just going to file it out without checking. If Treasury says no then it’s Shutes’ loss.

I’d imagine similar concerns were expressed about the redevelopment of that Liverpool dock area and the creation of the Liverpool Tate.

The Liverpool and Hull investments coincided with “City of Culture” status and funding from the EU. Better to compare with places like Doncaster that got gallons to pour down the drain despite being in a good position for custom.

I know it sounds negative but something like this needs nailing down. There will be lots of suggested uses apart from a theatre/cinema. Cafe culture, coffee bars, some retail units, wedding venue etc. Can the area support more of these? Has this place got more to offer than a one-off experience? We saw this problem with the hype over the Fishing Heritage Centre 30 years ago..

I agree with you about Shutes, he does not seem to be someone who would run with a risky plan …… but you never know. Like I say, it needs nailing down or it will start to smell of something like May. My personal preference was always that Shutes would redevelop the Freemo area but there may not be as many grants for that.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
HertsGTFC
June 25, 2021, 6:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
I only have 2 word to say on this “non football”.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
DB
June 25, 2021, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
At the end of the day, something is better than nothing. Some complain about the use of taxpayers' money but forget that the taxpayer had made many grants all over the country on various projects.

If you look at the positives, the Ice House will be saved. Shutes has made positive contact with ABP and presumably will have a working relationship. Shutes and 1878 are also known to each other and Shutes want to build a new Stadium on the docks.

Grant money, beit regeneration or some other name, may be found in the future for a stadium on the docks. This may not the preferred site for some but you have to follow the money if you want a new stadium. This will be needed once we get back into the league, next season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
Heisenberg
June 25, 2021, 7:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,046
Gold Stars: 93
Knock the f#cker down.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Tom Shutes buys the "Ice Factory"

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.