Fette Schlange
June 25, 2021, 7:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -96
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from moosey_club
I can see it now, Tommy Turgoose is Hamlet helmet on opening night of the new theatre of national importance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
ginnywings
June 25, 2021, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
That's a cutting first post FS.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
Azimuth
June 25, 2021, 8:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 58

The Liverpool and Hull investments coincided with “City of Culture” status and funding from the EU. Better to compare with places like Doncaster that got gallons to pour down the drain despite being in a good position for custom.

I know it sounds negative but something like this needs nailing down. There will be lots of suggested uses apart from a theatre/cinema. Cafe culture, coffee bars, some retail units, wedding venue etc. Can the area support more of these? Has this place got more to offer than a one-off experience? We saw this problem with the hype over the Fishing Heritage Centre 30 years ago..

I agree with you about Shutes, he does not seem to be someone who would run with a risky plan …… but you never know. Like I say, it needs nailing down or it will start to smell of something like May. My personal preference was always that Shutes would redevelop the Freemo area but there may not be as many grants for that.

Both Hull and Liverpools investments started years  before any city of culture status was awarded, what they did have in common were forward thinking councils and investors who grabbed and pushed for everything they could get their hands on, the initial small investments generated more interest in the cities and more investment, Hull is a very very different place now to when I worked there in the late 80s and 90s.
Grimsby is only now starting the process of modernisation and investment which can only succeed if all of us get behind the plans and ideas and see some real positive changes around our town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
GollyGTFC
June 25, 2021, 8:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I only have 2 word to say on this “non football”.

I would say it’s very much GTFC related because all the access issues of the Fish Dock 3 site will be done as part of the Ice House redevelopment potentially saving GTFC a small fortune.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 50
GollyGTFC
June 25, 2021, 8:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
And re: all the Shutes hating…

He started the takeover as a solo project. Because of that Stockwood and Pettit both came forward independently offering their services and were introduced.

Without Shutes there would have been no takeover. Without Shutes Stockwood and Pettit wouldn’t have even met. Whatever Stockwood and Pettit achieve as GTFC custodians we have Shutes to thank for getting the ball rolling. Fact!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 50
Total Hawsehole
June 25, 2021, 9:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +140
Gold Stars: 2
But where are the Ice House Gang going to meet now? Is Shutes going to buy up Park Street so the PSM have somewhere to go with their zimmer frames. Apologies if you are too young to remember the early 70s!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
HertsGTFC
June 25, 2021, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Total Hawsehole
But where are the Ice House Gang going to meet now? Is Shutes going to buy up Park Street so the PSM have somewhere to go with their zimmer frames. Apologies if you are too young to remember the early 70s!

As an East Marsh lad who grew up in the 70s this made me smile.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
HertsGTFC
June 25, 2021, 9:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I would say it’s very much GTFC related because all the access issues of the Fish Dock 3 site will be done as part of the Ice House redevelopment potentially saving GTFC a small fortune.

If we relocate to the docks I take it?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
Poojah
June 25, 2021, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Quoted from Azimuth
Surely this is a positive for the town, and shows some forward thinking and believe that it can work.

There is a local condition called Grimsbyitis whereby people dismiss and complain about anything positive or changes for the better and in the next breath moan about the town going backwards, I myself was infected with this in years gone by and still have the odd symptoms now and again but am getting better at managing it.

Lets hope Shutes pulls this off and it is a catylist for further interest and investments in Grimsby.

I moved away from Grimsby 18 years ago, half my life ago now - Christ, I can’t even believe it’s that long.

I couldn’t be prouder of where I’m from, where I was born - anyone who knows me where I live now knows I’m a Grimsby lad and a Town fan through and through. I don’t know if if it’s a Grimsby thing, but I wear it on my sleeve. Virtually every small talk conversation begins with “So how are Grimsby doing?”. Of course, that’s a bit of a conversation killer in recent times.

But if we focus Grimsby specifically (and not Meggies, which is in slightly better fettle), I can think of literally no tangible improvement in the area in terms of amenities since I left home. Without a doubt it’s gone backwards. When I left the town you could have a night out in Lloyds, Yates’s, Walkabout, Chicago Rock. All of those places are gone now, and replaced by nothing of significance.

Freshney Place was only 10 years out of date. Nothing has changed there since, other than the closing of its former flagship stores - Woolworths, Virgin, BHS, Binns. Even the tiles on the floor are either the same as the ones as I remember seeing when I would be reluctantly forced shopping with my mum as a toddler, or replaced by the cheapest, nastiest vinyl. It’s a jungle of pound shops and empty units. It’s now 28 years out of date.

Christ, when I grew up we had a cinema. It was a shíthole with only three screens, no leg room and an often treacherous walk home if you went at night, but at least there was one. The Town is missing some of the very basics of modern living.

I’ve lived in and spent time in some proper crap towns in my life, particularly in the north east. Hartlepool looks like something out of an apocalypse movie for the most part, but at least the marina has been regenerated into something worthy of visiting for a meal or a night out.

It has a Nando’s, Pizza Hut and a Frankie & Bennie’s. I’m not suggesting that chain restaurants are the epitome of modern dining experience, they are quite the opposite, but they are a signal that big business has taken notice of the area. Beyond fast food, we don’t have anything of that ilk anymore, do we?

The area has so much potential. The cost of living is so agreeable and Cleethorpes in the summer is absolutely wonderful and massively underrated - I never appreciated what a great place it was until I moved away.

But the state of Grimsby today saddens me - it needs a lot of investment. I don’t know much of Tom Shutes or his motives, but I don’t understand the instant dismissal of any proposal which stands to turn a part of the town which has laid derelict for decades into something of genuine value to the community.

I’d love nothing more than to see place where I was born and was brought up fulfil its massive potential.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
KingstonMariner
June 25, 2021, 10:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

The Liverpool and Hull investments coincided with “City of Culture” status and funding from the EU. Better to compare with places like Doncaster that got gallons to pour down the drain despite being in a good position for custom.

I know it sounds negative but something like this needs nailing down. There will be lots of suggested uses apart from a theatre/cinema. Cafe culture, coffee bars, some retail units, wedding venue etc. Can the area support more of these? Has this place got more to offer than a one-off experience? We saw this problem with the hype over the Fishing Heritage Centre 30 years ago..

I agree with you about Shutes, he does not seem to be someone who would run with a risky plan …… but you never know. Like I say, it needs nailing down or it will start to smell of something like May. My personal preference was always that Shutes would redevelop the Freemo area but there may not be as many grants for that.

The source of the funding doesn’t matter whether it’s from UK government or the EU. The plan either stacks up or it doesn’t. I hope it does stack up.

There won’t be loads of different uses. The man is planning to build a theatre. It has a wider interest than a fishing museum. But hey, if you’re coming to Grimsby to the theatre, why not stay overnight. There’s an interesting museum about the town’s historic industry, that explains why all this old machinery was here. On the way there, there’s a nice brewery taproom which has got a really diverse range of ales. Actually you can also pop down the road and have a nice walk by the coast and stop off at a traditional fish and chip shop. The people are friendly too. Not fake customer service, just genuine welcoming people.

Who knows what other spin-off things will pop up around the ‘kasbah’ that’ll be worth visiting.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Tom Shutes buys the "Ice Factory"

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.