Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Favourite Pub...now and in the past?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Favourite Pub...now and in the past?

This thread currently has 2,532 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
June 11, 2021, 7:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,043
Gold Stars: 197

Favourite pub now for me is probably "The Smugglers", mainly because that's the pub most of my old mates still frequent and loads of TV's for the sport.

"Willy's" a close second, it's great outside the front bit looking out over the river/estuary   and watching the world go by, boy racers and all.

And both pubs are just across the road from our house  

Favourite pub from the past, has to be "The Lifeboat" for me, the days when I was young and foolish and a biker riding a 250cc on L plates  
How I never got killed I'll never know, plenty did. We used to love playing pool in the Chart room with the jukebox blasting out, Heroes David Bowie was a favourite of mine.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
grimsby pete
June 11, 2021, 7:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Lifeboat was my local in the 60's and I have noticed a few more fishy people used to go there.

Enjoyed a few games of darts and that small pool type table who's name escapes me at the moment.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
KingstonMariner
June 13, 2021, 1:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Willys and the Notts in Cleethorpes. Never liked the beer in the Smugglers. Am a soft southerner now so don’t know how you can sit outside 😆

Used to frequent the Lifeboat. Whiter Shade of Pale used to be on the duke box continuously it seems.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
DB
June 13, 2021, 6:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Willys and the Notts in Cleethorpes. Never liked the beer in the Smugglers. Am a soft southerner now so don’t know how you can sit outside 😆

Used to frequent the Lifeboat. Whiter Shade of Pale used to be on the duke box continuously it seems.

Southerner yes. Soft definitely not, I've many of your posts.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
Chrisblor
June 13, 2021, 11:06am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,773
Gold Stars: 233
Notts and Willy's are the only passable pubs in Cleethorpes imo - as Kingston says the beer selection in the Smuggs is awful, but it is decent in there for sports. Didn't really mind the Spoons in Cleethorpes but i'm a bit reluctant to give them any more business after their owner's behaviour over the last two years.

Anyway living in Sheffield has ruined pubs for me. I've got the Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Gardeners Rest and Shakespeare's all within 5 minutes of my front door and they all blow anywhere in NE Lincs so far out of the water it's not even funny.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
ginnywings
June 13, 2021, 11:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Chrisblor
Notts and Willy's are the only passable pubs in Cleethorpes imo - as Kingston says the beer selection in the Smuggs is awful, but it is decent in there for sports. Didn't really mind the Spoons in Cleethorpes but i'm a bit reluctant to give them any more business after their owner's behaviour over the last two years.

Anyway living in Sheffield has ruined pubs for me. I've got the Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Gardeners Rest and Shakespeare's all within 5 minutes of my front door and they all blow anywhere in NE Lincs so far out of the water it's not even funny.

Agreed. Visit Kelham Island regularly.

Stay at the Hampton by Hilton and it's a short walk to the Shakespeare, then onto the Fat Cat and Tavern. Superb selections of beer in those three.

Also agree with the dearth of decent pubs in Clee. We don't use Spoons either. They don't allow dogs for a start and the owner is a  prize sharp object regardless.

We are also partial to a weekend trawl of York and the many excellent hostelries. Occasionally go to Leeds too for some imbibing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
June 14, 2021, 2:00am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Don't visit many pubs nowadays and I've never been a beer snob so I don't/didn't go to certain pubs just because they had a great ale/bitter/stout etc. I tend not to drink beer at all now and will usually stick to whatever cheap whisky is available in whichever pub I'm in at the time.

Also I've noticed everybody seems to be talking about pubs in Meggies. Well I'm a Grimsby lad and we only ever went down Meggies once in a blue moon. I think the early eighties Barge was probably my favourite, it was the 'in' place for my peer group when we first started going to pubs. If I go to the pub at all, because they're nearly all shite in Mablegrad it'll be the Dunes because it has a beer garden overlooking the sea or Shampers Bar.

I boycott Wetherspoons

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
ginnywings
June 14, 2021, 7:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Don't visit many pubs nowadays and I've never been a beer snob so I don't/didn't go to certain pubs just because they had a great ale/bitter/stout etc. I tend not to drink beer at all now and will usually stick to whatever cheap whisky is available in whichever pub I'm in at the time.

Also I've noticed everybody seems to be talking about pubs in Meggies. Well I'm a Grimsby lad and we only ever went down Meggies once in a blue moon. I think the early eighties Barge was probably my favourite, it was the 'in' place for my peer group when we first started going to pubs. If I go to the pub at all, because they're nearly all shite in Mablegrad it'll be the Dunes because it has a beer garden overlooking the sea or Shampers Bar.

I boycott Wetherspoons

I lived in GY for a while and used the Barge and Swigs a lot. Then usually onto Gullies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
cmackenzie4
June 14, 2021, 9:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
When I was at Grimsby college in the 80’s I always liked it in the Wheatsheaf, our nights out usually ended up in Cleethorpes (Strides and Smugglers) and then dancing around the handbags in Dean’s night club 😎

Haven’t been to a pub in over 5 years, the last one we went to was the one next to the Navy club (Cleethorpes) I forget the name, that was nice and relaxing.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
cmackenzie4
June 14, 2021, 9:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Chrisblor

I’m with you there Chris, them pubs you mention are very good pubs, I used to go there when we’d been walking/climbing in the peaks, we’d always finish our trip with a nights stay in Sheffield and go to these pubs, great times.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Favourite Pub...now and in the past?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.