Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Favourite Pub...now and in the past?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 25 Guests

Favourite Pub...now and in the past?

This thread currently has 2,502 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 17, 2021, 4:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yeah you’re right there was a fence. One of those wire things strung between concrete posts IIRC and there was a small gap between the concrete post and the hedge.

(God you can tell it’s close season, being reduced to talking about fences 😃).

We’ll be talking about burglars next!”🤪

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
promotion plaice
June 17, 2021, 4:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

We’ll be talking about burglars next!”🤪

And chip shop owners that have a secret camera in the loo, not too far away from said fence  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
KingstonMariner
June 17, 2021, 8:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

And chip shop owners that have a secret camera in the loo, not too far away from said fence  

Adds a whole new meaning to Dirty Leeds.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
Neilo83
June 18, 2021, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
My dad and older brother used to go in the longship (Macaulay street) on a regular basis, I’ve heard many of good stories from them about the place.. unfortunately when I reached 18 the longship was just about finished but growing up down that way this is definitely a pub I would have loved to have sampled in its hey day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
Sandford1981
June 18, 2021, 1:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
I was never a connoisseur of ales or beers. I drank to get drunk and consequently, if the pub had a pool table and a duke box then I was happy.

I worked behind the bar at Willys and loved the crowd in there and enjoyed being in there to drink too.

The back bar at the Hainton though was and will always be one of my favourite places. It wasn’t about the venue itself or the drinks on offer but the people. I loved the comradeship and the characters that you get to know. I spent far too much time and money in there but I have some great memories.

The Westlands was also a great place to go especially on a Sunday with the meat raffle.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
KingstonMariner
June 18, 2021, 5:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Sandford1981
I was never a connoisseur of ales or beers. I drank to get drunk and consequently, if the pub had a pool table and a duke box then I was happy.

I worked behind the bar at Willys and loved the crowd in there and enjoyed being in there to drink too.

The back bar at the Hainton though was and will always be one of my favourite places. It wasn’t about the venue itself or the drinks on offer but the people. I loved the comradeship and the characters that you get to know. I spent far too much time and money in there but I have some great memories.

The Westlands was also a great place to go especially on a Sunday with the meat raffle.

Me and a couple mates started going in there when were [cough]teen as it was halfway between were we lived and it was different to where the other early boozers from our school went. Never used to speak to anyone because we were trying not to attract attention. Probably had the reverse effect 😆.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
Yossarian
June 18, 2021, 11:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,074
Gold Stars: 18
I lived in Louth so when I was a kid it was always The Imperial before the game when we "went up town" - I was always  amazed at the never ending rooms (it seemed like it at the time) and the smoke,

When I got older, Willys..always loved that before a game...... but then always the Imperial just before the game...

For non game-pubs back in Louth it was the Wheatsheaf next to the church....

EDIT:  Jesus christ - I just checked out The Wheatsheaf in Louth (not been there in 10 years).  What a shame....it really is a mess these days.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
DB
June 19, 2021, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Me and a couple mates started going in there when were [cough]teen as it was halfway between were we lived and it was different to where the other early boozers from our school went. Never used to speak to anyone because we were trying not to attract attention. Probably had the reverse effect 😆.

You remind me when I was 16 going on 17 in my 'local'. An old schoolmate came in, for obvious reasons we were in the empty snug and not the bar!

Next week same again, no problem. The week after the landlady tells me ' You know that young man who came in here the last few Saturdays was caught in the other pub, he was under age. Really I said tongue in cheek, terrible isn't it.' Fast forward several months ' You look happy, I am it's my birthday. How old are you then; 18. Her face was a picture.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
cmackenzie4
June 20, 2021, 10:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Yossarian
I lived in Louth so when I was a kid it was always The Imperial before the game when we "went up town" - I was always  amazed at the never ending rooms (it seemed like it at the time) and the smoke,

When I got older, Willys..always loved that before a game...... but then always the Imperial just before the game...

For non game-pubs back in Louth it was the Wheatsheaf next to the church....

EDIT:  Jesus christ - I just checked out The Wheatsheaf in Louth (not been there in 10 years).  What a shame....it really is a mess these days.  

I walk past the Wheatsheaf in Louth most days and it’s been closed since lockdown, it looks so run down now, I don’t know what’s happened to it, maybe the lockdown closure took its toll I’m not sure. Such a shame because it was a great pub.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
promotion plaice
June 20, 2021, 11:04am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Anyone heard if the "Kings Royal / Mucky Muldoon's" is still in business because it's never re-opened ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Favourite Pub...now and in the past?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.