Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Favourite Pub...now and in the past?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 31 Guests

Favourite Pub...now and in the past?

This thread currently has 2,503 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2021, 1:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from cmackenzie4
When I was at Grimsby college in the 80’s I always liked it in the Wheatsheaf, our nights out usually ended up in Cleethorpes (Strides and Smugglers) and then dancing around the handbags in Dean’s night club 😎

Haven’t been to a pub in over 5 years, the last one we went to was the one next to the Navy club (Cleethorpes) I forget the name, that was nice and relaxing.

I know the one you mean Chris. Can’t remember the name either. My mate always calls it his ‘old doctors’ cos the surgery used to be there.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 14, 2021, 2:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Like a lot of posters I was a Lifeboat regular as a sixties student.

Many of us were working at Birds Eye or Eskimo and so were a lot of Irish students from both sides of the border. This was before the Troubles and there was no trouble!. I remember one lad giving a Saturday night rendition of Molly Malone sitting on the back of a bench seat in the corner lounge then toppling backwards straight through the window.. it did clear the smoky atmosphere quite quickly. We usually ended up in the Lifeboat on Sunday lunch after our England v Ireland match on Grant Thorold..

Birds Eye students used to pop in the Honest Lawyer before a shift. When I worked on Nunsthorpe I used to call in the Tavern in Artie’s day. Darley’s was a weekend one, Edna Keays in the singing room. Was Bing Beale in there or was he only bashing trays on his head at the Yarborough Vaults?

Used to like the Tivoli whan we played in the Quiz League. The Friar Tuck was nice and so suprprisingly was the first few years of the Wellow.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2021, 8:31pm
Meths Drinker
Wonder how far back that tradition of students going in the Lifeboat went. Did your elders go in their Ron?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
Hants.Mariner
June 14, 2021, 9:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
As a visitor from darn Sarf these days my wife and I love the Curious Cat, not your normal Grimsby bar and gives plenty of cocktail bars down here a run for their money.

As a youngster still living at home The Barge was a favourite, Swigs and The Haven.

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
DB
June 15, 2021, 6:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Wonder how far back that tradition of students going in the Lifeboat went. Did your elders go in their Ron?

On the subject of old pubs, I remember the Cross Keys on High St., demolished to make way for a car park and road widening. If I remember right there was a bit of a rumpus so the council of the day said the name would continue in perpetuity with the building of a new pub in New Waltham.

So the new pub was called the Cross Keys and is remembered today after its 2nd change of name to the Farmhouse! Proof you can't trust politicians.

You might also like:-
https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lincolnshire/cleethorpes.html

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
KingstonMariner
June 15, 2021, 1:03pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DB

On the subject of old pubs, I remember the Cross Keys on High St., demolished to make way for a car park and road widening. If I remember right there was a bit of a rumpus so the council of the day said the name would continue in perpetuity with the building of a new pub in New Waltham.

So the new pub was called the Cross Keys and is remembered today after its 2nd change of name to the Farmhouse! Proof you can't trust politicians.

Never got a chance to go in the Cross Keys. Think it went just a bit too early got me.

Remember all the rest except the Leeds. Must have gone a long time ago. Went in the others apart from the Clee Park. The Lynton was a bit too close to school (Lindsey) though so we went in the Crows Nest 😁. Better beer and nearer home too.

Last time I went in the Lynton it was a mini supermarket.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
promotion plaice
June 15, 2021, 2:18pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,997
Gold Stars: 193

I went in the Cross Keys a couple of times, if I remember rightly it was just like walking into someones terraced house.

I see the old landlord of the Submarine is mentioned in the Telegraph deaths today, Ian Billard.
Think he had a bad car crash after he left the pub game and was lucky to survive if it's the Ian I'm thinking of.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 15, 2021, 4:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from DB

Wasn’t The Cross Keys in New Waltham once run by Nigel Batch?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
ginnywings
June 15, 2021, 9:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from cmackenzie4
When I was at Grimsby college in the 80’s I always liked it in the Wheatsheaf, our nights out usually ended up in Cleethorpes (Strides and Smugglers) and then dancing around the handbags in Dean’s night club 😎

Haven’t been to a pub in over 5 years, the last one we went to was the one next to the Navy club (Cleethorpes) I forget the name, that was nice and relaxing.

Tale of Two?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
KingstonMariner
June 15, 2021, 10:33pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Tale of Two?

That’s the one

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Favourite Pub...now and in the past?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.