Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 11, 2021, 7:39pm

Favourite pub now for me is probably "The Smugglers", mainly because that's the pub most of my old mates still frequent and loads of TV's for the sport.

"Willy's" a close second, it's great outside the front bit looking out over the river/estuary  ;) and watching the world go by, boy racers and all.

And both pubs are just across the road from our house   ;D

Favourite pub from the past, has to be "The Lifeboat" for me, the days when I was young and foolish and a biker riding a 250cc on L plates  :)
How I never got killed I'll never know, plenty did. We used to love playing pool in the Chart room with the jukebox blasting out, Heroes David Bowie was a favourite of mine.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 11, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 1
Lifeboat was my local in the 60's and I have noticed a few more fishy people used to go there.

Enjoyed a few games of darts and that small pool type table who's name escapes me at the moment.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 13, 2021, 1:03am; Reply: 2
Willys and the Notts in Cleethorpes. Never liked the beer in the Smugglers. Am a soft southerner now so don’t know how you can sit outside 😆

Used to frequent the Lifeboat. Whiter Shade of Pale used to be on the duke box continuously it seems.
Posted by: DB, June 13, 2021, 6:46am; Reply: 3
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Willys and the Notts in Cleethorpes. Never liked the beer in the Smugglers. Am a soft southerner now so don’t know how you can sit outside 😆

Used to frequent the Lifeboat. Whiter Shade of Pale used to be on the duke box continuously it seems.

Southerner yes. Soft definitely not, I've many of your posts.  ;)

Posted by: Chrisblor, June 13, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 4
Notts and Willy's are the only passable pubs in Cleethorpes imo - as Kingston says the beer selection in the Smuggs is awful, but it is decent in there for sports. Didn't really mind the Spoons in Cleethorpes but i'm a bit reluctant to give them any more business after their owner's behaviour over the last two years.

Anyway living in Sheffield has ruined pubs for me. I've got the Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Gardeners Rest and Shakespeare's all within 5 minutes of my front door and they all blow anywhere in NE Lincs so far out of the water it's not even funny.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 13, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Chrisblor
Notts and Willy's are the only passable pubs in Cleethorpes imo - as Kingston says the beer selection in the Smuggs is awful, but it is decent in there for sports. Didn't really mind the Spoons in Cleethorpes but i'm a bit reluctant to give them any more business after their owner's behaviour over the last two years.

Anyway living in Sheffield has ruined pubs for me. I've got the Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Gardeners Rest and Shakespeare's all within 5 minutes of my front door and they all blow anywhere in NE Lincs so far out of the water it's not even funny.

Agreed. Visit Kelham Island regularly.

Stay at the Hampton by Hilton and it's a short walk to the Shakespeare, then onto the Fat Cat and Tavern. Superb selections of beer in those three.

Also agree with the dearth of decent pubs in Clee. We don't use Spoons either. They don't allow dogs for a start and the owner is a  prize sharp object regardless.

We are also partial to a weekend trawl of York and the many excellent hostelries. Occasionally go to Leeds too for some imbibing.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, June 14, 2021, 2:00am; Reply: 6
Don't visit many pubs nowadays and I've never been a beer snob so I don't/didn't go to certain pubs just because they had a great ale/bitter/stout etc. I tend not to drink beer at all now and will usually stick to whatever cheap whisky is available in whichever pub I'm in at the time.

Also I've noticed everybody seems to be talking about pubs in Meggies. Well I'm a Grimsby lad and we only ever went down Meggies once in a blue moon. I think the early eighties Barge was probably my favourite, it was the 'in' place for my peer group when we first started going to pubs. If I go to the pub at all, because they're nearly all shite in Mablegrad it'll be the Dunes because it has a beer garden overlooking the sea or Shampers Bar.

I boycott Wetherspoons
Posted by: ginnywings, June 14, 2021, 7:53am; Reply: 7
Don't visit many pubs nowadays and I've never been a beer snob so I don't/didn't go to certain pubs just because they had a great ale/bitter/stout etc. I tend not to drink beer at all now and will usually stick to whatever cheap whisky is available in whichever pub I'm in at the time.

Also I've noticed everybody seems to be talking about pubs in Meggies. Well I'm a Grimsby lad and we only ever went down Meggies once in a blue moon. I think the early eighties Barge was probably my favourite, it was the 'in' place for my peer group when we first started going to pubs. If I go to the pub at all, because they're nearly all shite in Mablegrad it'll be the Dunes because it has a beer garden overlooking the sea or Shampers Bar.

I boycott Wetherspoons

I lived in GY for a while and used the Barge and Swigs a lot. Then usually onto Gullies.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 14, 2021, 9:12am; Reply: 8
When I was at Grimsby college in the 80’s I always liked it in the Wheatsheaf, our nights out usually ended up in Cleethorpes (Strides and Smugglers) and then dancing around the handbags in Dean’s night club 😎

Haven’t been to a pub in over 5 years, the last one we went to was the one next to the Navy club (Cleethorpes) I forget the name, that was nice and relaxing.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 14, 2021, 9:25am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Chrisblor

I’m with you there Chris, them pubs you mention are very good pubs, I used to go there when we’d been walking/climbing in the peaks, we’d always finish our trip with a nights stay in Sheffield and go to these pubs, great times.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2021, 1:44pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from cmackenzie4
When I was at Grimsby college in the 80’s I always liked it in the Wheatsheaf, our nights out usually ended up in Cleethorpes (Strides and Smugglers) and then dancing around the handbags in Dean’s night club 😎

Haven’t been to a pub in over 5 years, the last one we went to was the one next to the Navy club (Cleethorpes) I forget the name, that was nice and relaxing.

I know the one you mean Chris. Can’t remember the name either. My mate always calls it his ‘old doctors’ cos the surgery used to be there.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 14, 2021, 2:24pm; Reply: 11
Like a lot of posters I was a Lifeboat regular as a sixties student.

Many of us were working at Birds Eye or Eskimo and so were a lot of Irish students from both sides of the border. This was before the Troubles and there was no trouble!. I remember one lad giving a Saturday night rendition of Molly Malone sitting on the back of a bench seat in the corner lounge then toppling backwards straight through the window.. it did clear the smoky atmosphere quite quickly. We usually ended up in the Lifeboat on Sunday lunch after our England v Ireland match on Grant Thorold..

Birds Eye students used to pop in the Honest Lawyer before a shift. When I worked on Nunsthorpe I used to call in the Tavern in Artie’s day. Darley’s was a weekend one, Edna Keays in the singing room. Was Bing Beale in there or was he only bashing trays on his head at the Yarborough Vaults?

Used to like the Tivoli whan we played in the Quiz League. The Friar Tuck was nice and so suprprisingly was the first few years of the Wellow.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2021, 8:31pm; Reply: 12
Wonder how far back that tradition of students going in the Lifeboat went. Did your elders go in their Ron?
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, June 14, 2021, 9:30pm; Reply: 13
As a visitor from darn Sarf these days my wife and I love the Curious Cat, not your normal Grimsby bar and gives plenty of cocktail bars down here a run for their money.

As a youngster still living at home The Barge was a favourite, Swigs and The Haven.
Posted by: DB, June 15, 2021, 6:00am; Reply: 14
Wonder how far back that tradition of students going in the Lifeboat went. Did your elders go in their Ron?

On the subject of old pubs, I remember the Cross Keys on High St., demolished to make way for a car park and road widening. If I remember right there was a bit of a rumpus so the council of the day said the name would continue in perpetuity with the building of a new pub in New Waltham.

So the new pub was called the Cross Keys and is remembered today after its 2nd change of name to the Farmhouse! Proof you can't trust politicians.

You might also like:-
https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lincolnshire/cleethorpes.html

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from DB

On the subject of old pubs, I remember the Cross Keys on High St., demolished to make way for a car park and road widening. If I remember right there was a bit of a rumpus so the council of the day said the name would continue in perpetuity with the building of a new pub in New Waltham.

So the new pub was called the Cross Keys and is remembered today after its 2nd change of name to the Farmhouse! Proof you can't trust politicians.

Never got a chance to go in the Cross Keys. Think it went just a bit too early got me.

Remember all the rest except the Leeds. Must have gone a long time ago. Went in the others apart from the Clee Park. The Lynton was a bit too close to school (Lindsey) though so we went in the Crows Nest 😁. Better beer and nearer home too.

Last time I went in the Lynton it was a mini supermarket.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2021, 2:18pm; Reply: 16

I went in the Cross Keys a couple of times, if I remember rightly it was just like walking into someones terraced house.

I see the old landlord of the Submarine is mentioned in the Telegraph deaths today, Ian Billard.
Think he had a bad car crash after he left the pub game and was lucky to survive if it's the Ian I'm thinking of.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 15, 2021, 4:10pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from DB

Wasn’t The Cross Keys in New Waltham once run by Nigel Batch?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Tale of Two?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings

Tale of Two?

That’s the one
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 16, 2021, 12:24pm; Reply: 20

No, my parents only went in pubs on high days and holidays, mainly Darleys but sometimes the Royal Oak on Victoria Street.for some reason.

The student thing was a bit of an extension of school for us. A lot of ex-Clee lived in the area and were away at uni so the Lifeboat was a good rendezvous in the hols. The Irish lads tagged along in the first instance.

We rarely went in the Dolphin, Sub or the Vic - fear being the reason! The old Cross Keys was nice and cosy in winter - coal fire, but the old codgers didn’t like any youngsters in there.

Posted by: grimsby pete, June 16, 2021, 12:28pm; Reply: 21

Never got a chance to go in the Cross Keys. Think it went just a bit too early got me.

Remember all the rest except the Leeds. Must have gone a long time ago. Went in the others apart from the Clee Park. The Lynton was a bit too close to school (Lindsey) though so we went in the Crows Nest 😁. Better beer and nearer home too.

Last time I went in the Lynton it was a mini supermarket.

I played for Lynton in the Sunday league we got to the cup final played at Blundell Park.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 16, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 22
That’s the one Ginny, I like it in there mate.
Posted by: DB, June 16, 2021, 8:52pm; Reply: 23
Not being from these parts I do remember a school trip. It was to see a film at the ABC Cleethorpes, what it was about I cannot remember, but what I do remember was half of us sneaked out to enjoy 3/4 half's at the Imperial.

From what I recall the beer was good, bitter as I remember, possibly Hewitts ( early 1960's ) but as for the film well the next day at school nobody could remember! Happy days. :) :) :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 16, 2021, 9:16pm; Reply: 24
I used to love The Cricks when it was a proper locals boozer. I ran the quiz in there for about 10 years or so.

All went downhill when they turned it into more like a restaurant and the new boss fell out with too many of the locals.
Posted by: DB, June 16, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin
I used to love The Cricks when it was a proper locals boozer. I ran the quiz in there for about 10 years or so.

All went downhill when they turned it into more like a restaurant and the new boss fell out with too many of the locals.

I believe that's the similar to the Crows Nest where the "footpath" to " topies" was fenced off.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 16, 2021, 10:31pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from DB

I believe that's the similar to the Crows Nest where the "footpath" to " topies" was fenced off.

Time honoured tradition that cut through to Top Shops 😄

Important saving of time to ensure you got your fish and chips home while they’re still hot.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from DB

I was under the impression it was a public right of way so how did they get away with it?

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 17, 2021, 10:12am; Reply: 28
Quoted from promotion plaice

I was under the impression it was a public right of way so how did they get away with it?

I don’t think it was. There was a fence there when the houses were built but I thing it was demolished by the kids from Beacon Hill going for chips at dinner times. ;D

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 17, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 29

I don’t think it was. There was a fence there when the houses were built but I thing it was demolished by the kids from Beacon Hill going for chips at dinner times. ;D

Yeah you’re right there was a fence. One of those wire things strung between concrete posts IIRC and there was a small gap between the concrete post and the hedge.

(God you can tell it’s close season, being reduced to talking about fences 😃).
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 17, 2021, 4:15pm; Reply: 30

Yeah you’re right there was a fence. One of those wire things strung between concrete posts IIRC and there was a small gap between the concrete post and the hedge.

(God you can tell it’s close season, being reduced to talking about fences 😃).

We’ll be talking about burglars next!”🤪

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 31

We’ll be talking about burglars next!”🤪

And chip shop owners that have a secret camera in the loo, not too far away from said fence  ;)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 17, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from promotion plaice

And chip shop owners that have a secret camera in the loo, not too far away from said fence  ;)

Adds a whole new meaning to Dirty Leeds.
Posted by: Neilo83, June 18, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 33
My dad and older brother used to go in the longship (Macaulay street) on a regular basis, I’ve heard many of good stories from them about the place.. unfortunately when I reached 18 the longship was just about finished but growing up down that way this is definitely a pub I would have loved to have sampled in its hey day.
Posted by: Sandford1981, June 18, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 34
I was never a connoisseur of ales or beers. I drank to get drunk and consequently, if the pub had a pool table and a duke box then I was happy.

I worked behind the bar at Willys and loved the crowd in there and enjoyed being in there to drink too.

The back bar at the Hainton though was and will always be one of my favourite places. It wasn’t about the venue itself or the drinks on offer but the people. I loved the comradeship and the characters that you get to know. I spent far too much time and money in there but I have some great memories.

The Westlands was also a great place to go especially on a Sunday with the meat raffle.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 18, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Sandford1981
I was never a connoisseur of ales or beers. I drank to get drunk and consequently, if the pub had a pool table and a duke box then I was happy.

I worked behind the bar at Willys and loved the crowd in there and enjoyed being in there to drink too.

The back bar at the Hainton though was and will always be one of my favourite places. It wasn’t about the venue itself or the drinks on offer but the people. I loved the comradeship and the characters that you get to know. I spent far too much time and money in there but I have some great memories.

The Westlands was also a great place to go especially on a Sunday with the meat raffle.

Me and a couple mates started going in there when were [cough]teen as it was halfway between were we lived and it was different to where the other early boozers from our school went. Never used to speak to anyone because we were trying not to attract attention. Probably had the reverse effect 😆.
Posted by: Yossarian, June 18, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 36
I lived in Louth so when I was a kid it was always The Imperial before the game when we "went up town" - I was always  amazed at the never ending rooms (it seemed like it at the time) and the smoke,

When I got older, Willys..always loved that before a game...... but then always the Imperial just before the game...

For non game-pubs back in Louth it was the Wheatsheaf next to the church....

EDIT:  Jesus christ - I just checked out The Wheatsheaf in Louth (not been there in 10 years).  What a shame....it really is a mess these days.  
Posted by: DB, June 19, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 37

Me and a couple mates started going in there when were [cough]teen as it was halfway between were we lived and it was different to where the other early boozers from our school went. Never used to speak to anyone because we were trying not to attract attention. Probably had the reverse effect 😆.

You remind me when I was 16 going on 17 in my 'local'. An old schoolmate came in, for obvious reasons we were in the empty snug and not the bar!

Next week same again, no problem. The week after the landlady tells me ' You know that young man who came in here the last few Saturdays was caught in the other pub, he was under age. Really I said tongue in cheek, terrible isn't it.' Fast forward several months ' You look happy, I am it's my birthday. How old are you then; 18. Her face was a picture. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 20, 2021, 10:01am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Yossarian
I lived in Louth so when I was a kid it was always The Imperial before the game when we "went up town" - I was always  amazed at the never ending rooms (it seemed like it at the time) and the smoke,

When I got older, Willys..always loved that before a game...... but then always the Imperial just before the game...

For non game-pubs back in Louth it was the Wheatsheaf next to the church....

EDIT:  Jesus christ - I just checked out The Wheatsheaf in Louth (not been there in 10 years).  What a shame....it really is a mess these days.  

I walk past the Wheatsheaf in Louth most days and it’s been closed since lockdown, it looks so run down now, I don’t know what’s happened to it, maybe the lockdown closure took its toll I’m not sure. Such a shame because it was a great pub.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 39

Anyone heard if the "Kings Royal / Mucky Muldoon's" is still in business because it's never re-opened ?
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:21am